Selling on eB-- Is it possible to still list a generic location like "Midwest"?

kolibriszuka

Fleur's Mom
Feb 9, 2007
I want to change my selling location (where it says "item location" on the main page).

I always see people with "locations" like "Designer Closet" or "MIDWEST". How do I do this? I tried to change my location but it says "city and zip code don't match"... is this another one of eB's great policy changes?

Any help would be appreciated!

I am not sure if this has been changed or not. I sod something a few weeks ago and I had my location listed as "Midwest USA". Maybe a PF'er who sells more frequently will be able to help you out.

Thanks Karmenz, I think it may be a new policy. I want to change my item location because I really don't want people from my town (if they search by geographic location) to know that I'm selling things. I sell some clothing and different items that would be recognizable as mine, if someone were to look at listings in our local area.

Our town's social circles are very catty and I don't want anyone to have fodder for gossip.

As a buyer, I don't like it when people don't make their location clear. I get worried about the scam perpetrators who obfuscate their location so it's harder for us on TPF for example to put 2 + 2 together. But you do have a good reason!!

As a buyer, I don't like it when people don't make their location clear. I get worried about the scam perpetrators who obfuscate their location so it's harder for us on TPF for example to put 2 + 2 together. But you do have a good reason!!

I totally understand and agree. I don't really sell bags that often (I've actually only sold 2 designer bags my entire time on eB). I usually sell clothing like sweaters and tops and sometimes shoes. I also think that if someone were to ask me where I was, I would tell them.

I bought a blackberry for my husband the other day on eB an the seller's location was something like "UnlockedCellPhones USA". I didn't really have an issue with it. I can always look their real address up through ebay or paypal.

I am just weird about people "talking about me". I live in a very small town.

A suggestion would be to try using Auctiva.

It's totally free and they have cool templates as well. My location is simply listed as "The West Coast" and they require nothing more.

I haven't made a basic post directly through fBay in almost two years and have never had a problem. I think the problem is with fBay's selling template specifically. Don't know if my assumption is totally correct, but using Auctiva will definitely work.

Hope this helps :smile:

I don't like it when sellers don't have a definate location either, although ^^at least says generally where you are and is better than the "designer town usa" locs.