Selling (nearly) every other bag to fund Chanel...would you do it?

If I don't love or use the bags, then I would sell them. I have purchased and sold many bags over the years. I don't have a big collection but I don't like cash sitting inside my closet, guess I'm not like Carrie Bradshaw. :biggrin:
I find that some brands sell fairly quickly if you price it right and the brand/model is still trending. I prefer selling them myself over consignment as I find that I lose at least 50% of the value when I consign. Be patient, it can be stressful.

As for rebuilding your collection, take it slow. I love the reissue 226 but I haven't found the right combination. Two prices increases have passed but I'm ok with it as I don't want to rush and repeat the same mistakes. In the meantime, I will look all the pretty bags online.

If you don't use those bags anymore then you probably should sell them but if your only reason is to buy only Chanel then I'm not sure. I don't think Chanel is worth it for you to get rid of all other bags.

If they aren't being used, I'd sell.

Another thing I'd mention: you mentioned a lot of bags. I personally get overwhelmed when I have a lot of bags (or choices), and because of that I gravitate towards the one or two bags I'm most comfortable with. I think if you sold all those extra bags you don't use to get one Chanel, it will feel a little bit liberating not seeing a bunch of items that aren't used.

I like Chanel the most at the moment. Not much else appeals generally. I don't think I will be buying anymore soon because of pricing and quality. But the Chanel forum is where I have the most cheer so the brand I guess has me still. I tend to keep/donate other brands and not sell on.

If I don't love or use the bags, then I would sell them. I have purchased and sold many bags over the years. I don't have a big collection but I don't like cash sitting inside my closet, guess I'm not like Carrie Bradshaw. :biggrin:
I find that some brands sell fairly quickly if you price it right and the brand/model is still trending. I prefer selling them myself over consignment as I find that I lose at least 50% of the value when I consign. Be patient, it can be stressful.

As for rebuilding your collection, take it slow. I love the reissue 226 but I haven't found the right combination. Two prices increases have passed but I'm ok with it as I don't want to rush and repeat the same mistakes. In the meantime, I will look all the pretty bags online.

Fair point re: losing value. I'm going to a consignment store that will give me 50% if it's under $1K, 60% if it's under $2K and 70% if it's under $3K. I may keep my more valuable/current bags and try to sell some of them myself (e.g. the Celine Mini), because they won't be hard to sell. Some of the bags (like the Miu Miu bow bag and my MJ Stam) are probably easier to sell via consignment as they're not current anymore.

I love the reissue 226 too. I just picked one up pre-loved (my very first pre-loved Chanel) as I've noticed that reissues don't hold their values like the classics. I hope you find one that makes your heart sing! :smile:

If they aren't being used, I'd sell.

Another thing I'd mention: you mentioned a lot of bags. I personally get overwhelmed when I have a lot of bags (or choices), and because of that I gravitate towards the one or two bags I'm most comfortable with. I think if you sold all those extra bags you don't use to get one Chanel, it will feel a little bit liberating not seeing a bunch of items that aren't used.

I agree. My bag collection was starting to stress me out because it felt like so many bags were just being wasted and my purse cabinet was completely jammed full of stuff. I've already sold off several contemporary bags on my own. I would really like to get down to less than 20 bags (maybe even 15).

If you don't use those bags anymore then you probably should sell them but if your only reason is to buy only Chanel then I'm not sure. I don't think Chanel is worth it for you to get rid of all other bags.

I think it's both - I don't use those bags and they would fund a Chanel replacement. In general, I definitely should downsize my collection.

I can see how the GST is probably too flashy for most workplaces - I'm lucky as a lot of women at my work carry designer bags. I love my boy, but I think it depends on your personal style. It's definitely more of an 'edgy' bag. Congrats on your new caviar square mini - is that bag part of Act II?

The square mini I am getting is preowned. I hope it looks just as good in person as it does in the photos [emoji4]

I sold many of my designer handbags to fund my first Classic Flap and the rest is history!!! In selling all my bags I noticed which brands held on to value and which ones did not ,so as a result of that I now ONLY purchase CHANEL..

PLEASE Try hard to not consign them and sell them yourself on eBay. Consign shops charge a lot of MONEY and I have personally seen many people loose their items and money...

On ebay there is a eBay fee and paypal fee, however you control the sale and you get your money.. TRUST me I did this last year and was very successful.. Do not worry about regret!!! The feeling of getting that magical Chanel bag is so worth it...

I realized the Chanel is CLASSIC and all the rest just looked out dated and trendy!!!

GOOD LUCK

I did the same & haven't regretted it at all !
Which classic flap did you get ?

I say sell.. I recently caught a Chanel bug and thinking of selling my other items and have sold some already to fund the Chanel addiction? I signed up here as Nat "LV", but already am using a Chanel avatar ))) LOL

I'm in a similar position to you. I have brand new bags I never used (Epi Neverfull, Vernis and Epi Alma, Epi Cluny) and I've decided to sell them all. Too many bags makes me feel overwhelmed, and the fact I don't use them limits on what bags I can use. I decided to sell them myself and put that money towards a Jumbo which I will use every weekend.

Good luck!

I definitely have been in the same boat. I got my first chanel in 2014 and it's ruined me haha. Since then I've cut down on a lot of bags, from Coach on up, to fund my addiction.

But I live in a rainy climate, so while I've greatly reduced my collection, I still have a canvas LV piece in there for all-weather options. I also keep a lower end designer (Kate Spade, MK, etc.) for the same purpose or if I am somewhere where I worry about being targeted for theft (take my money, take my phone, but DON'T YOU DARE TAKE MY CHANEL!!).

I would consider your life- if you need a "throw around the ghetto" type bag then maybe keep one of the non-Chanels. :biggrin: Good luck!