Selling clothes on ebay - opinions please!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi Guys,
    I have some clothes from places like GAP and H&M that I don't really want any more. I'm torn between taking them to a charity shop or trying to sell them on ebay. I don't know whether to sell them as a "bundle" ie. Bundle of UK Size 12 Ladies Clothes or whether to try & sell pieces individually. Has anyone got any experience and do you think my bits would sell?

Thanks!:biggrin:

2. I've bought individual skirts before, or dresses, but I think you might save more $ in fees if you list as a lot or grouping.

3. I don't have a whole lot of luck selling preowned clothes- I'd say probably about a 30-40% sell-through rate with very long list time. However, it IS nice when they do sell, if you can get enough for them.

I recommend providing VERY detailed descriptions of quality of the clothes as well as several measurements, fabric content, and washing instructions. Those are the things that help me when i'm on the buying end.

4. Personally I don't like selling clothes in a bundle. It's more work to have individual auctions but I think you make more that way. Clothing from those stores does sell, although not for high prices.

5. i sell all my old clothes on ebay just put them on 99p 10 days and see how money i have got at the end of it to buy more clothes:biggrin:

6. I always give regular high street clothes to charity. Depends how much time you have I suppose.

7. I have not had luck selling my mom's stuff. Hardly worth the time and effort for a few bucks.

8. I have very good luck selling my son's clothes that he can no longer wear. I list them 2 or 3 pcs per auction, so they're all the same size.

9. This is my opinion but, If you have 1 or 2 "must have" pieces, sell them with 2-3 items that would be hard to sell on their own. Most of the time people will bid on the whole lot, only wanting the 1 item.

I have had good luck selling clothes if I take LOTS of photos of them, from all angles and list the size and measurements (inches across, length, etc). I know that personally I don't bid or consider clothes that only have 1 photo (and most of the time its a bad or out of focus photo).

Good Luck in your auctions!!!!

10. I listed some items I bought at Gap - about 2 years ago. Then I was restricted because Ebay thought the Gap was a designer item that was highly counterfeited. Do they still do that?

No one at Ebay would listen to my explanation that GAP made private label tank tops listed for $5.99 were NOT high fraud items. LOL

11. IMO, it's not worth it. I don't consider these brands to be worth selling on ebay at all. I don't think you'll get much money for them considering that most buyers could go buy the items brand new for a pretty low price. I would try consigning them, and if you cant get a shop to take them then just donate. I think you'll save yourself stress and hassles in the long run.

12. I agree, way too much hassle to maybe get $5-10 for each item if you're lucky.

13. I agree, not worth the hassle. I usually drop my items off at a local consigment shop. They put them on the racks for 90 days and give me 50% of what they sell for ... if they don't sell, I just tell them to donate

14. Hmm I think it'll be hard to sell clothes on *bay unless they were in season. I found it really hard for me to sell anything clothes related.

15. I sold a ton of clothes that didn't fit any more after I got pregnant. Had a large collection of designer jeans that took years to acquire. :crybaby:

Sold some H&M, but I did them as outfits. Shirt + pants that I had worn together, that I knew looked good. Sold them all. Didn't make a killing, but made enough to buy more crap off of Ebay. ;)