Selling a gift card

Aug 22, 2010
Occoquan, VA
I just sold a gift card on eBay I specially stated I would mail the gift card but the buyer just asked me to email them the info. Am I covered by PayPal if I email the info through eBay? They only have 1 feedback and have been a member since feb. I'd rather just mail it with delivery confirmation.

Apr 15, 2007
you should do what you are comfortable with... persoanlly, would mail it... others may

feel differently, but that's what I would do...and dc is always a good idea w/online tracking

Aug 22, 2010
Occoquan, VA
I emailed him back and pretty much said that as stated in the auction I will mail it. The reason I mail is so that there is delivery confirmation I pointed out that it would go out tomorrow so it should be received quickly.

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
Without trying to alarm you, I want you to protect yourself. Gift cards make me nervous because it's so easy for someone to claim you sent an empty card.

Keep photocopies of both sides of the card alongside the receipt showing the date and full value of the card. Do whatever is necessary to cover yourself.

patricia712

Dec 29, 2011
Also suggest that in the listing, use ******* and the last four digits of the gift card number. We have had buyer later state not received but by keeping the gift card number and sending with DC could verify that it was used. Also one buyer said that the card did not have the full amount, but by keeping the number, could verify amount. When we asked for the last four digits of number, he provided a different number.

heatdepot

Jan 5, 2012
I would not sell gift cards on eBay.

I've sold a couple in the past but ended up getting less than from Plasticjungle after ebay and shipping fees.

Not to mention the buyer could be a scammer and file a dispute.

blah956

Aug 16, 2009
DFW
i figure you have sent it out by now but if possible, right before you mail the card out, go to the store and ask for them to check the balance and to print it out on the store receipt.

Aug 22, 2010
Occoquan, VA
Sent and positive feedback already received. If I ever sell a giftcard in the future I will somehow include the last 4 of the card in auction as previously suggested.

momofgirls

O.G.
Jan 8, 2008
I didn't want to start a new thread but I just have a question about selling/mailing a gift card. Should I take a record of the card # and can Gift Card be insured?