Sellier or Retourner?

both have their advantages:

retourne because it gives it a more relaxed and casual look. the piping adds a nice dimension to the edges

sellier makes the bag more formal and the rigid edge gives it a timeless look

Sellier for me. As H craftsmanship can be more visible by outside stitching.

Excellent points, Everlong and Mezzopiano.

I think I prefer the more trapezoidal shape of the sellier... I see these more in box (in fact I have one). I have been considering a retourner to have a more relaxed option but the shape seems a bit more square......

Perhaps a more casual leather like clemence in the sellier shape will be a nice option....???

Last edited:
Excellent points, Everlong and Mezzopiano.

I think I prefer the more trapezoidal shape of the sellier... I see these more in box (in fact I have one). I have been considering a retourner to have a more relaxed option but the shape seems a bit more square......

Perhaps a more casual leather like clemence in the sellier shape will be a nice option....???

H does not make this combination. You can still get somewhat of a trapezoidal shape if you keep the retourne kelly to 25cm, 28cm and 32cm.

Sellier with me it goes further than just the look it's the actual wear fit and evolving process. I prefer the fit and look of retorne the only thing I don't like is that because the Kelly holds it's shape and weight with a top handle and thus only has 2 major anchor points for the one handle it depends strongly on the the turn lock, when the bag becomes heavy it creates a pull on the turn lock and leather making the bag have a two square bumps on each side and a deep line,it abuses the strength on the turn lock,sellier because its strong on the sides,the leather itself helps the structure and avoids strain on the turn lock so it looks a lot better overtime ,plus the fact that it is truly an art to make a Kelly to make it in sellier is a major art!!!!!!

Last edited:
I like both but in different sizes. For a 35 kelly, I like the retourne much better: that size is more casual to begin with and the retourne fits with the mood; also, in a 35, the sellier starts feeling like a briefcase. For a 28, the sellier is good and it is slightly dressier. For a 32, either is ok. Box takes on a beautiful patina but the bags that develop the loveliest glow are the retourne Kellys, IMO>

I have bags in both styles. Box sellier was my 1st. I never thought I'd like the retourne but I love it and have a few. They are more casual and less "ladies who lunch". Nothing beats the box sellier tho. It is such a timeless classic. A true monument.

Sellier for me. As H craftsmanship can be more visible by outside stitching.

Sellier with me it goes further than just the look it's the actual wear fit and evolving process. I prefer the fit and look of retorne the only thing I don't like is that because the Kelly holds it's shape and weight with a top handle and thus only has 2 major anchor points for the one handle it depends strongly on the the turn lock, when the bag becomes heavy it creates a pull on the turn lock and leather making the bag have a two square bumps on each side and a deep line,it abuses the strength on the turn lock,sellier because its strong on the sides,the leather itself helps the structure and avoids strain on the turn lock so it looks a lot better overtime ,plus the fact that it is truly an art to make a Kelly to make it in sellier is a major art!!!!!!

OP... thanks for posting this. I am glad I got a sellier--- . Mezzo and Birkel.. fabulous as always.:drinkup:

I have both. My chevre de coromandel souple is sellier and I adore it. My BBK is retourne and I much prefer box in retourne as in sellier it would be much too formal and stiff for my lifestyle.