Seller's Thread: Advice and Support for Sellers

MsMarcel

Oct 17, 2014
Hi y'all!

I was hoping that we could start a thread for sellers that isn't necessarily about problem buyers or emergency issues, instead giving advice, support, encouragement, and sharing tips about what works and what doesn't.

I've been selling on ebay in a variety of capacities (selling for others, for myself when i need some quick cash, and now i'm going to try to do it as a legit side hustle) and every time i go away and return i feel like the resale market has changed a lot, it seems like it has become much more difficult to make a decent profit...or get people to buy...anything?

I'm a personal stylist and right now i'm trying to sell a bunch of pieces from my closet that are either mine or things i purchased from/for clients that they didn't want. this used to be pretty easy but this time i'm struggling. i feel many of the pieces are really amazing but i'm not quite sure why people aren't biting or are making super low offers, i feel like i have most things listed at reasonable prices, most of the listings have detailed copy if its warranted, and i'm working on taking better photos (a few listed do not have great photos right now)... is the reason i'm having difficulty because I have less than 100 fb? it's all positive, but i wonder if i may not appear trustworthy with designer items even though that's exclusively what i've sold on this account over the years if sporadically. should i be doing auction style listings instead? if you have high-ticket items, do you have the best success with longer listing times? i typically do 7 days because i feel like it creates urgency but i'm wondering if i should switch to 30 days. i'd appreciate any advice from a seasoned seller.

i'd love to get to know other sellers on the forum, why and how you got into ebay, and how you make it work. it might be fun to keep a conversation going about how we're doing. :smile: Assuming this sort of thread does not already exist here, if it does i'm sorry i missed it, please redirect me. thank you!

Reactions: Wei Wei
I do 30 day BIN listings. For expensive items, people need time to decide. I think 7 days is too short. It often takes several months for my items to sell. Most of the time it isn't the price that is the problem. It just takes time to find the right buyer.

I do think excellent pictures are a must. Your listings should look professional. Even if you don't have a lot of feedback, buyers feel more confident if your listings are well designed.

Reactions: Pollie-Jean
I do 30 day BIN listings. For expensive items, people need time to decide. I think 7 days is too short. It often takes several months for my items to sell. Most of the time it isn't the price that is the problem. It just takes time to find the right buyer.

I do think excellent pictures are a must. Your listings should look professional. Even if you don't have a lot of feedback, buyers feel more confident if your listings are well designed.

this is really helpful, thank you so much!

Reactions: whateve

I do 30 day BIN most of the time too (unless I get auction only frees). I agree that it takes time to find the right buyer. I sell mostly collectibles and antiques, quite a few from my own collections (my main one isn't purses, and it's taking over my house, lol), and sometimes things sell immediately, especially things from my main collection, but most things take several months to sell.

Reactions: Lubina and MsMarcel
With eBay I also find 30 day BIN better. I am not a full time seller but since changing to the 30 day BIN it's much easier. Instead of reposting every week, you can just let it ride.

I have stopped with craigslist. Too many weirdos, flakes, and low ballers on buyer and seller sides.

I have been doing Facebook Marketplace and it's been decent. Easy to respond to offers/messages and I feel like it is seen by more people. Sometimes it is annoying getting the low ballers/etc on there but it is easier to block unwanted messages.

I also recently posted to OfferUp. I bought one thing on there so far and it was a superb experience because the seller was beyond nice. I have posted an LV bag and some other things for sale. I have had some interest but so far only questions/low ballers/flakes. It's only been 2 days though so we will see.

I feel like my LV would sell easier on eBay but since it is an older bag and I don't have the receipt or anything, I do not want to go through the worry of a buyer possibly claiming it as fake and having to deal with that whole thing. Posting it on FB Marketplace/OfferUp I can provide photos needed to get it authenticated if the buyer would like to. I know it will sell slower but to me it's less worry.

Reactions: MsMarcel
Great idea MsMarcel :tup:

I find the 30 day BIN listings a good option too, you can always add a best offer. It's also a good way to make the most of offers like £1 final value fees, far better to have it running for 30 days........a new offer will probably come along before its ended. It cheapens down selling on EBay which I think has now become an expensive selling experience with so many other freebie options available.

My current selling is a result of downsizing our property and de-cluttering so it's ongoing at the moment. I take photos, list my items then store them away and forget about them. I leave auctions running and just automatically roll them over and re-list each week. I've had items selling for months without any watchers then suddenly, Lol you get 2 bidders fighting it out.

I think an important tip is don't pack things up until your buyer has paid. I get soooo many items now that I have to open an unpaid item case for. It's become too easy for bidders not to pay which is another reason why it's good to use BIN rather than auctions as you can ask for payment at purchase.

With smaller, obscure items it's often not about the price but just waiting to find a buyer that's interested, you just need to be patient. I'm coming to the end of my household items now but still have the attic to tackle. I've had good and bad experiences but overall it's been worth turning unused & unwanted family items into cash :biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMarcel and BBC
Is there any point putting terms of sale in your listings? E.g... pay within xx days or item will be relisted. Do sellers really have the right to cancel the sale if the buyer doesn't pay within this time frame and be able to relist the item?

Also, is the report non paying bidder function worth the hassle? I can't imagine that forcing a buyer to pay for the item would turn out well for the seller.

Having a few of these issues atm, and I'm the one that gets a defect....

Is there any point putting terms of sale in your listings? E.g... pay within xx days or item will be relisted. Do sellers really have the right to cancel the sale if the buyer doesn't pay within this time frame and be able to relist the item?

Since the seller owns the item, the seller has the "right" to cancel and relist but the buyer might still pay. The problem comes if the relisted item is bought by a new buyer followed by the original buyer making a payment. Unless the seller has 2 of the same item, she risks having an unhappy buyer who will probably ding the seller in feedback and DSRs. If you have to cancel one of the transaction because the item is out of stock, you'll get a defect.

Also, is the report non paying bidder function worth the hassle? I can't imagine that forcing a buyer to pay for the item would turn out well for the seller.

Yes, reporting a non-payer is worth the hassle. That's the only way ebay knows that the buyer is a deadbeat. Most NPBs are serial non-payers and if they get enough strikes, they get naru'ed. However if sellers just cancel the sales, those buyers get free passes and there's no consequence for their violations.

Additionally, when the buyer gets a strike, you automatically get your FVF credit so there's no need to call and request it.

Another benefit of making buyers get strikes is that they'll be unable to bid or buy from other sellers whose buyer preferences are set to block buyers with x-number of unpaid strikes within the past year.

Answers in red above.

Why are you getting a defect?

I don't put terms in my listings. They aren't really enforceable but it might help. The seller has the right to cancel the sale for any reason but if it wasn't buyer requested, they have to pay FVF.

It is definitely worth it to file a NPB. I've had some buyers pay on the last day and never had a problem with them.

I have a template stating my terms that I just add to the bottom of every listing listing. The main one being
Payment Within 48 Hours Please...................the only reason being I had a really snotty email and threats of bad feedback by a buyer that I opened an unpaid item case for. She had the nerve to write something like UNPAID ITEM CASE After THREE days........really!!!?.. disgraceful!!!. Most sellers that are so concerned about QUICK payment state it in their listing.....it should be clearly shown!! Your attitude will be reflected in my feedback

The nerve of the woman, what a cheek, she was lucky I gave her the courtesy of 3 days. I was spitting bricks, what sellers have to put up with! I'm nice to them too, :cursing: I send an invoice later in the evening if I haven't received payment then leave it a day or so and email them politely about payment.

It means nothing of course, adding the terms..........they'll pay when they want, there are lots of lovely buyers and some really bad ones that make you wonder why the hell you are bothering.

I agree totally with Whatever & BeenBurned, totally worth open an unpaid item case. I don't find it any hassle, you can even set automatic rules to open the case for you after however many days you choose...........nothing needs to be done. It also ensures they get a little of what they deserve, unpaid item strikes mean other buyers can block them and you will get your final value fees back. If you don't you'll be charged by EBay for a sale you didn't make.

BB has stated the pitfalls of cancelling a sale. The same applies with non payers, once you have opened an unpaid item case, EBay still gives them several days to pay which I find infuriating..........if you have other bidders you can take a chance and offer it immediately to the next buyer but you could end up with them both paying. If you leave it until you close the case you rarely have a hope of selling to other bidders, a week later they've usually found something else.

My biggest EBay peeve is non payers, it happens too often, they're are just too many of them now, my guess is they bid on other similiar items and pay for the cheapest one. It's such a hassle when you lose a week and have to start all over again. I never pack anything now until I've received payment. I sold five small items this week..........and Yay they all paid, it was a pleasant surprise! Last week I sold about the same and one buyer emailed me on Monday the day after auction ended to say they should be able to pay by Friday (so much for 48hrs):whut:...well at least they emailed but Friday came and no payment. I emailed them and no reply, emailed again the next day, again no reply so I opened yet another unpaid item case and they never paid ..............What is the matter with these people :facepalm:

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure where to post this as this is not necessarily ebay related. I was hoping somebody can advise me regarding shipping designer handbags internationally. Do you always opt for full insurance cover? i've searched a few shipping companies and most of them quote something like 3-5% of total value so for something more than 2k you're paying approx 150 or more for postage alone. Is that the norm? Sorry it'll be my first time posting to an international buyer and I'm not sure of the shipping procedures. If anybody has any tips/advise I would very much appreciate. TIA

Answers in red above.

Why are you getting a defect?
Ah ok. So my defect is due to me cancelling the sale (buyer had not paid or replied to my emails) so I said it was out of stock. Only because I had just got ebay to step in on a non paying issue with a different item and I was getting fed up.. Looks like I will have to go through this a third time now.

When a non paying case is opened, can the buyer ask (me) for the sale to be cancelled? Is that an option at that point or do they just wait for the time to lapse? My other concern with opening a case is that the buyer may resent having to pay for an item they don't want anymore and cause other problems. But you are right... it is letting them get away with bad behaviour and I don't want that either.

I don't put terms in my listings. They aren't really enforceable but it might help. The seller has the right to cancel the sale for any reason but if it wasn't buyer requested, they have to pay FVF.

It is definitely worth it to file a NPB. I've had some buyers pay on the last day and never had a problem with them.
Thanks whateve, I didn't realise about the fvf on cancelled listings. In all the years I have been selling bits and pieces this is the first time I have had to deal with non paying bidders and I have had three in 10 days. argh.

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this as this is not necessarily ebay related. I was hoping somebody can advise me regarding shipping designer handbags internationally. Do you always opt for full insurance cover? i've searched a few shipping companies and most of them quote something like 3-5% of total value so for something more than 2k you're paying approx 150 or more for postage alone. Is that the norm? Sorry it'll be my first time posting to an international buyer and I'm not sure of the shipping procedures. If anybody has any tips/advise I would very much appreciate. TIA
I have shipped from Australia to the USA and Europe many times and have always paid for full insurance and always the quickest method of delivery. However, I was told by the postage agent last time was that the insurance only covered the package while it was in Australia and once it left the country it wasn't covered anymore... I have not clarified this with the postage company yet, because that would be a breach of our consumer law... My point ... check that your item is covered for the whole journey.

Also, if it is an option.. buy an upgraded tracking option.

Reactions: AAxxx