Seller's Remorse

scottishdoll

Apr 11, 2012
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping you may be able to help me.

I sold a Mulberry bag on Ebay a few weeks ago, after the buyer paid she emailed me regarding the authenticity and I told her that I had it authenticated on here and to the best of my knowledge the bag was an authentic bag (I'd bought the bag on Ebay a few months ago)

She emailed me again with a few questions and seemed to be quite happpy with it an even went so far as to say "she loved it".

Now she has emailed me saying that she believes it to be fake and wants to send it back to me. I'm quite happy to have it back, I do think with all the communication and things that it's a case of buyers remorse more than anything else but I wondered the best way to do this.

I was thinking of putting through a cancellation request for the sale and refund her - that way I'll get my fees back that I've paid out. I'll refund her original postage but should I refund her postage for the package she's sending me back?

TIA

I forgot to add, I did ask her where she had the bag authenticated as if she has something on paper I'd like to see it - I had the bag authenticated on the Mulberry thread and the ladies were very positive about it

I forgot to add, I did ask her where she had the bag authenticated as if she has something on paper I'd like to see it - I had the bag authenticated on the Mulberry thread and the ladies were very positive about it

I think you should wait for the authenticity report. There are places online that authenticate bags for a small fee ($5.00, I believe). If the bag is fake, I think she is entitled to full refund (including shipping fees). If the bag is authentic, the buyer has to live with it. We all have buyer's remorse with some purchases and have to keep them IMO.

I don't know whether you have a return policy but I'd offer to take the return. Tell the buyer that the bag is absolutely authentic but if she's not happy, you'll take it back and as long at it's in the condition in which you sent it, you'll refund her purchase price but shipping in both directions would be at her expense.

ETA: BTW, you say you sold it "a few weeks ago." If it's been over 45 days, you have no obligation to take it back. Perhaps if she's just having buyer's remorse, you can offer to allow her to copy your listing and relist it herself.

I think you should wait for the authenticity report. There are places online that authenticate bags for a small fee ($5.00, I believe). If the bag is fake, I think she is entitled to full refund (including shipping fees). If the bag is authentic, the buyer has to live with it. We all have buyer's remorse with some purchases and have to keep them IMO.

I would also be interested in knowing who authenticated the bag
for her & if she can provide you with a letter stating that.

I believe the buyer has to prove authenticity if she opens a claim
so if indeed the bag is authentic this is buyers remorse .

I am not so sure that I would take the return now especially
after receiving a message that she loved the bag.
Was that message thru ebay's system out of curiousity ?

And if the bag is deemed a fake, yes, you should refund shipping costs.

Last edited:
She mailed me back and said that it was someone that she knows who said it is fake and they don't want to get involved.

I responded by saying that I was very concerned as I had bought the bag, then sold it on again in good faith and obviously if she had proof I'd like to pass it on to the person I bought the bag from. I also said to her that she obviously wasn't happy so I'd be more than happy to refund her once I received the bag from her.

The "friend" who doesn't want to get involved is (IMO) not a credible source! Either you or she can have the bag professionally authenticated (Caroldiva?, A4U, Fakespotters -- not sure who does Mulberry) and if she's truly just concerned about authenticity, a professional authentication should reassure her.

If she's had the bag and been using it for a few weeks, I'd be nervous about what condition the bag might be in if she sent it back.

If you want to go ahead with the return, I would make it very clear that the bag needs to be returned in the same condition in which it was sent out and that (at this point, since YOU can prove authenticity), neither her original or return shipping will be refunded.

She mailed me back and said that it was someone that she knows who said it is fake and they don't want to get involved.

I responded by saying that I was very concerned as I had bought the bag, then sold it on again in good faith and obviously if she had proof I'd like to pass it on to the person I bought the bag from. I also said to her that she obviously wasn't happy so I'd be more than happy to refund her once I received the bag from her.

Someone that she "knows" & "doesn't want to get involved"... that
is saying the bag isn't authentic... a bit of a stretch sorry to say.

You need proof that the bag is not authentic...Perhaps you can
do this yourself & forward her the information you receive, but
to me this buyer wants to return the bag & is just looking for
an excuse... & she's playing the authenticity card excuse, IYKWIM

If you do accept the return I'd make sure the buyer understands
fully that you will inspect the bag to make sure it is in the same
condition as it was sent to her.. She has had it for several
weeks now & possibly could have used it& only after looking it over
carefully, would I issue her the refund

Shipping is on her for this.. not you...

Should I wait until I have confirmation that she has posted the item before I process a refund?

Sorry I know this is probably a pretty basic question but I don't often sell on Ebay and just want to know that I'm protecting myself

You need to get the bag in your hands before you process a refund.

You need to look it over & make sure it is the same bag that you sent.

If the bag is over a certain amount of money, you may want to ask the
buyer to insure it. You may also want to make sure she is sending
it with delivery & signature confirmation.

Good luck...

hotshot said:
You need to get the bag in your hands before you process a refund.

You need to look it over & make sure it is the same bag that you sent.

If the bag is over a certain amount of money, you may want to ask the
buyer to insure it. You may also want to make sure she is sending
it with delivery & signature confirmation.

Good luck...

Good post. I agree with all of this

Should I wait until I have confirmation that she has posted the item before I process a refund?

Sorry I know this is probably a pretty basic question but I don't often sell on Ebay and just want to know that I'm protecting myself

No, don't issue the refund until you get it back and inspect it. At that point, you can issue the refund for purchase price only.

As the other ladies wrote, don't refund before you actually have the bag back in your hands. You should inspect the bag: is it the same one you sent her (just in case she didn't switch it?), is it in the same condition (she used it and then she wants to return it/get her money back?), etc