Seller's Remorse (?)

mocha.lover

O.G.
Mar 30, 2009
I was wondering if anyone ever had seller's remorse from selling over eBay, Malleries, Bonanzle, or anything like that.

I originally had two comforters with different sizes and I sold the bigger one on eBay about a year ago for a great price ($600). Currently, I'm considering selling the smaller one, and I can still get an amazing price, but since the comforter is not being sold or produced anymore, I am afraid I will regret selling it. I do not desperately need the money but in a way, it's also an "opportune time" to sell it. What do you think?

Could anyone give me their own experiences selling something they either regret or do not regret?

- Thank you in advance! :smile: -

Last edited:
i have not sold anything that i regret, but i have purchased things that i think i have no idea why someone could sell it??? if you kwim
i always think long and hard about what im going to sell and ONLY list an item when i am sure i dont want/need it sorry im no help lol

I had to sell a bunch of vintage jewelry and most of my antique blanket collection to pay for surgery on our dog. I do regret not having the stuff any more, most of it was irreplaceable. However, I'm glad we got the surgery on the dog. I guess it's a question of what you value more -- the item or the cash you can get for it.

If you are already "thinking" you will regret it, you probably will. I do not sell anything unless I am 100% sure I don't want it anymore. If you have ANY doubts, I would wait.

I often sell my items only to experience regret afterwards.

A few times, I've even yanked an auction halfway when I think I will be unhappier if it sells than if it doesn't.

95% of the time, that same item I've just yanked will sit in the closet for another year untouched before I build up the nerve to list it again.

It's a vicious cycle. lol

I've sold things I've regretted buying but never returned in case I learned to love them. I've also sold things I'd never see myself wearing or using again. I don't regret selling anything.

For about a year I mourned selling a gorgeous Leonard of Paris silk dress that looked good on me and I had bought at a fabulous price from Neiman Marcus (I needed the money at the time and I didn't really have any places I could wear the dress.)

However, I've long gotten over that by realizing that it's just stuff -- even if it is "one of a kind" or "rare" -- there's alot more stuff left in this world or about to be produced, and if I really need that item again, I'll be able to find something comparable. To me it's a sense of relief not to be bogged down or tied to material goods (I still like designer goods hence my attraction to tPF, but I won't ever become that attached again.)

Remorse about selling? Yes, alas, yes. But if you need the money to buy other stuff or whatever you need the money for, it is a necessity sometimes. As Luvtami says, "it's just stuff," but if it is your stuff, sometimes it is hard to part with it.

I do have regrets over a few items I have sold.Then trying to track them back down and rebuying them ,but it was just never the same as it was not my original ...Really think it over before you do so,IMO if you are already wondering I would probably not do it...

ecmf - I haven't had buyer's remorse yet because I scarcely shop, but I make lists of things I want, then think it over a couple days before I make a final decision. "Do I need it? Do I want it?" I like doing this rational thinking thing, but it can be time consuming. hehe

CowPrincess - Aww :smile: I like that story!

pzold - Yeah, I'm going to wait until the end of the week to make a final decision. Thanks!

Peski - I get attached to my stuff too and only pulled out something from eBay once. I guess I'll have to triple think about my comforter. (It is a vicious cycle!)

Luvtami - You make a great point! My boyfriend was telling me that he doesn't get attached to material possessions because they can't love him back like a human can. :smile:

mmmsc - So true! Sometimes it's stuff with sentimental value that I would have trouble parting with. I don't have difficulty letting something go that I purchase myself, but I would have issues with myself if it was a gift from someone else, even if it was a decade ago.

abbiesmommy - Thanks! I'm weighing the consequences of selling it right now.