Sellers and their Feedback?

lilmountaingirl

~i LVoe/Hate LV!~
O.G.
May 5, 2008
Hello. Why do sellers seem to take so long to leave feedback for buyers these days? Is there a loophole or new ebay rule I'm not aware of that makes them wait? I haven't purchased or sold anything on ebay for years and thought I'd give it another chance. So I bought a few things, paid within 24 hours, and left positive feedback for my sellers as soon as I received my items. But the sellers haven't left any feedback for me and it's been at least four days. It makes me not want to do any repeat business with them since feedback is so important for someone who hasn't had ebay activity in so long. Is this the new norm?

Hello. Why do sellers seem to take so long to leave feedback for buyers these days? Is there a loophole or new ebay rule I'm not aware of that makes them wait? I haven't purchased or sold anything on ebay for years and thought I'd give it another chance. So I bought a few things, paid within 24 hours, and left positive feedback for my sellers as soon as I received my items. But the sellers haven't left any feedback for me and it's been at least four days. It makes me not want to do any repeat business with them since feedback is so important for someone who hasn't had ebay activity in so long. Is this the new norm?

There is no rhyme or reason why sellers or buyers for that matter take their
time in leaving feedback.

Some sellers will leave feedback promptly,others may do it weekly
or bi-monthly (grouping it all together rather than respond individually)

I also think sellers may wait a bit longer than usual just in case a buyer
changes their mind about the item, IYKWIM..

i no longer leave feedback for buyers - unless they leave positive feedback for me.

you never know when it may be necessary to report a buyer or if they may want to force a return after using it or claim SNAD or INAD.

i think a lot of sellers are afraid leaving feedback for buyers may undermine reporting a buyer in the future.

if you are a low feedback buyer than that may make you seem more suspicious.

Feedback is optional. It is not required.
May I ask why receiving feedback is so important to you?
Buyer;s feedback is meaningless. All buyer can ever receive is positive feedback. Sellers don't care what buyer's feedback looks like. What most important is the feedback buyer leaves for other sellers. That is what sellers look at when they look at the buyer's feedback.

i no longer leave feedback for buyers - unless they leave positive feedback for me.

you never know when it may be necessary to report a buyer or if they may want to force a return after using it or claim SNAD or INAD.

i think a lot of sellers are afraid leaving feedback for buyers may undermine reporting a buyer in the future.

if you are a low feedback buyer than that may make you seem more suspicious.

I left feedback-positive- for my sellers imediately. I have many positive feedbacks from before, all someone needs to do is look at them to see that. It's just with ebay's new policies, your feedback percentage deletes after a period of inactivity. Just another way for ebay to force you to stay a member. Maybe I should just start a new account and cancel the old one. I thought all of my prior positive feedbacks would make sellers more comfortable. Maybe it was just wrong of me to try ebay out again.

Feedback is optional. It is not required.
May I ask why receiving feedback is so important to you?
Buyer;s feedback is meaningless. All buyer can ever receive is positive feedback. Sellers don't care what buyer's feedback looks like. What most important is the feedback buyer leaves for other sellers. That is what sellers look at when they look at the buyer's feedback.

It's important to me because I feel like it is the fair way to do things. I don't want to give a stranger my hard earned money if they won't even leave a positive feedback after I go out of my way to be a good buyer. All it does is make me mark them as a seller I won't make a repeat purchase from.

I left feedback-positive- for my sellers imediately. I have many positive feedbacks from before, all someone needs to do is look at them to see that. It's just with ebay's new policies, your feedback percentage deletes after a period of inactivity. Just another way for ebay to force you to stay a member. Maybe I should just start a new account and cancel the old one. I thought all of my prior positive feedbacks would make sellers more comfortable. Maybe it was just wrong of me to try ebay out again.

actually if your buying account just became active again after a long period of activity i would be even more suspicious as that may indicate that an account has been hijacked or compromised.

scammers like to take over old accounts and have packages sent to a new address. by the time the original account holder notices that something has gone wrong - it's too late. the seller has already dispatched the item. (this is why i always try to wait 24 hours before dispatching an item sold in case it's paid with a stolen credit card etc.)

Well if my sellers would be courteous and provide the feedback then other sellers won't be suspicious! I'm verified with ebay and paypal and think they can see that, right? It's fine though, I'm just not going to do repeat business with them which is unfortunate because one of the sellers has several things I want. So many people these days are just too untrusting, but for obvious and good reason. Ebay has ruined things for honest people. I worry about being scammed too but I just can't win here. I guess my ebay days are finally done. I like to support individual people over large corporations but I'm not going to have my integrity scrutinized just because I haven't been on ebay for awhile.

It's important to me because I feel like it is the fair way to do things. I don't want to give a stranger my hard earned money if they won't even leave a positive feedback after I go out of my way to be a good buyer. All it does is make me mark them as a seller I won't make a repeat purchase from.

Well if my sellers would be courteous and provide the feedback then other sellers won't be suspicious! I'm verified with ebay and paypal and think they can see that, right? It's fine though, I'm just not going to do repeat business with them which is unfortunate because one of the sellers has several things I want. So many people these days are just too untrusting, but for obvious and good reason. Ebay has ruined things for honest people. I worry about being scammed too but I just can't win here. I guess my ebay days are finally done. I like to support individual people over large corporations but I'm not going to have my integrity scrutinized just because I haven't been on ebay for awhile.

Think you are judging your sellers unfairly. Feedback is optional & that
should be regarded as such. Not everything with ebay is as fair as we would
like it to be.

You received the items you purchased as described, there were no issues
to be discussed, if you really think having the feedback is so important,
why not drop your seller a note & ask that he/she leave feedback. If
they don't respond, they don't respond.

But not to buy from this seller again just because they have not left you feedback,
IMO is not being fair. But since you are the buyer, you have to do what makes
you feel comfortable.

Last edited:
Am I just being overly sensitive, lol? Do you guys think it's not a big deal or issue that sellers don't leave feedback? I just don't know what ebay's like anymore and it used to be a really big deal. Are sellers just not leaving feedback anymore? Is the issue that buyers can still file claims even after a transaction is completed and feedback was left for a seller? I thought it was encouraged to leave quick feedback for a seller since some sellers have their funds held for 21 days. Maybe I really am just being overly sensitive lol.

Am I just being overly sensitive, lol? Do you guys think it's not a big deal or issue that sellers don't leave feedback? I just don't know what ebay's like anymore and it used to be a really big deal. Are sellers just not leaving feedback anymore? Is the issue that buyers can still file claims even after a transaction is completed and feedback was left for a seller? I thought it was encouraged to leave quick feedback for a seller since some sellers have their funds held for 21 days. Maybe I really am just being overly sensitive lol.

Perhaps your expectations are higher .

Sellers do have concerns about buyers doing inappropriate things after
a period of time.. Sellers are overly cautious perhaps because they have reasons to be.

Your item was described well & guessing you received it promptly. You
left your feedback because that is what you wanted to do.

If you want "feedback" from your seller because it is important for you,
then ask for it & share your thought. Your seller may appreciate what
you are sharing with them, but also be prepared you may not get a
response.

But to penalize a seller for any future purchases because they didn't
leave you feedback, IMO is just not fair especially when you had no issues
with the seller other than not leaving you feedback.

Last edited:
As Love4Mom commented, feedback received as a buyer doesn't mean a lot but there's another very important reason why sellers wait for buyers to leave feedback and why even after the sellers receive feedback, they may wait a few days to leave feedback for their buyers and possibly not leave feedback at all.

As much as ebay wants buyers to leave "honest" feedback and assures buyers that their feedback and DSR ratings are anonymous, there are tools sellers can use to determine whether those buyers have dinged a seller's stars while leaving what appears to be "glowing" feedback.

And in order for sellers' reports to be updated, it can take from 24 to 72 hours after feedback has been received by the seller. So before a sellers leaves feedback, they want to verify that the buyer didn't ding their DSRs.

(Several years ago, I sold something to a buyer who was also a seller. She kept bugging me to leave feedback for her, telling me she'd left "5 stars across the board" and to do the same for her "since she gave me such a smooth transaction."

Well, 48 hours after her feedback was left for me, I ran my reports and saw her "5 stars across the board" were actually 2 stars in every category.

I wasn't allowed to tell her that I knew what she'd done since it's supposed to be "anonymous" but I added her to my BBL and also never left feedback for her.)

As Love4Mom commented, feedback received as a buyer doesn't mean a lot but there's another very important reason why sellers wait for buyers to leave feedback and why even after the sellers receive feedback, they may wait a few days to leave feedback for their buyers and possibly not leave feedback at all.

As much as ebay wants buyers to leave "honest" feedback and assures buyers that their feedback and DSR ratings are anonymous, there are tools sellers can use to determine whether those buyers have dinged a seller's stars while leaving what appears to be "glowing" feedback.

And in order for sellers' reports to be updated, it can take from 24 to 72 hours after feedback has been received by the seller. So before a sellers leaves feedback, they want to verify that the buyer didn't ding their DSRs.

(Several years ago, I sold something to a buyer who was also a seller. She kept bugging me to leave feedback for her, telling me she'd left "5 stars across the board" and to do the same for her "since she gave me such a smooth transaction."

Well, 48 hours after her feedback was left for me, I ran my reports and saw her "5 stars across the board" were actually 2 stars in every category.

I wasn't allowed to tell her that I knew what she'd done since it's supposed to be "anonymous" but I added her to my BBL and also never left feedback for her.)

Wow! Now it makes much more sense to me, thank you! I cannot believe that person had such nerve. I think I am too honest and naive sometimes. Where do I find information on those tools? I plan to list things for sale too. There is so much to keep track of on ebay now. I've been burned in the past too, big time. But as a buyer, not a seller, which might be why I worry about feedback. I just want everything to have a finish line so to speak.

As others already posted most sellers, myself included never even look at a buyers feedback received. What they have left for other sellers tells a more important story.
First, buyer FB will ALWAYS be positive & 100%. Sellers can ONLY leave positive FB for buyers.
Second, a buyer has no responsibilities to fulfill. They pay, OK, do they expect a thank you because they paid for an item? Not to be rude but on no other venue do buyers get a rating simply for paying.

A seller, on the other hand,does have obligations; to pack & ship in a timely manner and to deliver an item as described.
A buyer with 200 FB is no more or less valuable to a seller than a buyer with 15 FB.

Personally, I do leave FB for my buyers, usually as soon as I see the item has delivered but many sellers wait until the buyer leaves it or they don't leave FB at all. I always hold my breath after leaving FB for fear I will get a problem buyer that I have now "thanked for being an asset to EBay."

If you start selling, you will very quickly modify your opinion about buyer FB vs seller FB.
Anyway I wish you good luck with your listings!

As a seller, I wait until I know the buyer isn't going to return an item before I leave feedback. Usually if they give me feedback, I'll leave feedback within a day or two. If I get a bad feeling about the transaction, or I don't want to remind the buyer just in case it might prompt a complaint, I won't leave feedback at all. Recently I sold an item, then the buyer asked me to cancel the transaction after she paid. After giving the refund, I lost 30 cents in paypal fees. The buyer gave me positive feedback, probably because she was so relieved to get her money back. I won't give her feedback because she didn't go through with the transaction.

I'd hate to think that buyers aren't coming back because I haven't given feedback promptly enough.

As a seller, I don't care about how much feedback a buyer has. I've sold plenty of things to zero feedback buyers without a problem. I'm more concerned about buyers that buy a lot of things because then I'm afraid they are going to be returning the items they don't like as much. Like once I sold a briefcase to a guy who had bought 10 briefcases within a week. It got returned. Another time I sold a purse and wallet set to a buyer who had bought 3 other similar matched sets. That buyer opened an unauthorized transaction claim in Paypal.