Seller wants to drop off pkg- Am I protected?

Apr 29, 2008
NYC
I just purchased a bag on ebay and the seller lives in the same city. She wants to drop it off with my doorman. I'm thinking she wouldn't be protected because there would be no signature, but could this be troublesome for me as a buyer? Should I just tell her to mail it?

lalachka

Oct 21, 2011
Queens NY
that's interesting, she's not protected even if she made you sign something. just wondering why she'd be willing to take a risk.

i'm not sure what dangers are in it for you though, would be interested to find out.

Apr 29, 2008
NYC
I already paid via Paypal. The bag was $400. I wrote her saying that I sell a lot, and this seems risky for her. I wouldn't be at home, so it would be with my doorman. She has sold some designer items, but not as many as most of us. Maybe she's just green, but it seems like a big risk.

lalachka

Oct 21, 2011
Queens NY
I already paid via Paypal. The bag was $400. I wrote her saying that I sell a lot, and this seems risky for her. I wouldn't be at home, so it would be with my doorman. She has sold some designer items, but not as many as most of us. Maybe she's just green, but it seems like a big risk.
i'm thinking maybe with local dropoff there's no protection for either side? i think that ebay doesn't allow local pickup. so would that mean that you couldn't do SNAD if you had to?

just seems like she's taking a huge risk. why?

Apr 29, 2008
NYC
i'm thinking maybe with local dropoff there's no protection for either side? i think that ebay doesn't allow local pickup. so would that mean that you couldn't do SNAD if you had to?

just seems like she's taking a huge risk. why?
I had the bag authenticated on TPF... now I'm feeling uneasy. I'll just tell her to mail it. She said she'd do either, but lives in the area, so would drop it with my doorman to save on postage.

lalachka

Oct 21, 2011
Queens NY
I had the bag authenticated on TPF... now I'm feeling uneasy. I'll just tell her to mail it. She said she'd do either, but lives in the area, so would drop it with my doorman to save on postage.
sorry, i wasn't trying to make you nervous. maybe wait until BB replies? she knows ebay and paypal inside and out.
i was just throwing possibilities out there

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
If you had the bag authenticated on tpf and you'll recognize it when you see it, you should be okay.

In this case, it's the seller who has no INR protection since there's no delivery confirmation.

You say she wants to drop it off with your doorman. I think a better option is to have her come at a time that you're there to examine the bag and verify that it's the same one as the pics you had authenticated.

As long as it passes, you both should be fine. Get a receipt from her to prove payment.

Apr 29, 2008
NYC
I asked her to please just mail it, and she was ok with that. She wanted to come while I'm away for the Thanksgiving holiday, and I agree with BeenBurned, that it would have been better to inspect it. She seems like a nice person in her emails, just green about online selling.

Apr 15, 2007
ask her to mail it... you are not going to be around to have an opportunity
to look it over.. even though the bag has been authenticated, would not
want it delivered meaning dropped out at my house/apt if I couldn't look
it over..to me it doesn't matter how nice they are... when an opportunity
presents itself to take advantage hey, you never know.... let her ship it
and if something isn't right you can at least open a claim...

espes

Jan 5, 2011
I sold a PC today worth about £400. It was quite big and the buyer lives about 1 hour away by driving. So I offered to deliver in person so the buyer can get it same day and I can save the trouble of packaging it and it won't be damaged during delivery. But interestingly the buyer refused my offer. I delivered stuff before without notifying buyers if I find out the buyers live close by but they are low value items, and never had any problems. I didn't know seller is not protected by doing this. what if the buyer choose 'collect in person' as delivery method? Is seller protected?

lalachka

Oct 21, 2011
Queens NY
no, seller is not protected unless there's a tracking number with delivery confirmation if it's under $250 and signature confirmation if it's $250 and over. keep in mind that $250 is the total, including shipping and whatever else

northerndancer

What, me worry?
O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
The Cool Cool North
As long as it passes, you both should be fine. Get a receipt from her to prove payment.
The buyer would be fine but the seller would be SOL if the buyer chose to file an INR. (Not suggesting the OP would do this but another scammy buyer might.)

The only way a seller is protected on a paypal payment is to have tracking/signature.

Personal deliveries are fine though I would suggest a meet at a neutral populated location and the only safe payment for the seller is cash.

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
I did this once as a seller. Someone in my city won an RM bag I was selling. Turns out there were only a few blocks away from me and I was leaving town the very next day, so I offered to drop it off. I was worried about the lack of protection on my part but it was something I was willing to risk at the time. I researched the buyer and felt comfortable with her long, positive history on ebay and just went with it. It worked out just fine in the end.

If it were a more expensive bag, I would have been more concerned and probably wouldn't have taken the risk.

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
Admin
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
I should also mention that the buyer had her iphone at the time of the drop off and after inspection, she left me good feedback that the bag had been received.