Seller wants me to send item to LV?

luv2run41

May 30, 2012
I purchased a clutch from ebay seller. The bag has several undisclosed ink stains. I messaged the seller and she promptly responded and asked what she could do to help.
I said I would like to return as ink is hard to get out of azur and I don't want to risk damage to the bag by trying to get the ink out.

She then asked (she planned to call LV) if I would send the bag to LV to be cleaned and have ink removed. She said she would pay to have it sent to LV.
I am thinking this is probably a very bad idea? Thoughtful of seller but prob risky as the buyer. I don't think the four or five small ink spots can even come out. Anyone have opinions on this type of return? I don't think I would have any protection if I sent the bag back to another address besides seller?

This is what I'd do.

You did the right thing in contacting the seller and trying to resolve your complaint without opening a dispute right out of the gate.

IMO, the seller's "resolution" is ridiculous. You shouldn't have to send it to LV hoping they might or might not be able to remove the stains. (Personally, I don't think ink stains will come out.)

I'd file SNAD since it's a legitimate 'not as described' case with undisclosed damage. State that you want to return for refund.

You can suggest to the seller that if SHE wants to send the bag to LV to have them try to remove the ink stains, that's her prerogative and if they are successful, you're willing to rebuy the bag (if that's the case) after seeing pictures showing that the ink was successfully removed.

And if you're no longer interested in the bag, that's your choice too. She can either relist (as is) or have it cleaned and resell herself.

I purchased a clutch from ebay seller. The bag has several undisclosed ink stains. I messaged the seller and she promptly responded and asked what she could do to help.
I said I would like to return as ink is hard to get out of azur and I don't want to risk damage to the bag by trying to get the ink out.

She then asked (she planned to call LV) if I would send the bag to LV to be cleaned and have ink removed. She said she would pay to have it sent to LV.
I am thinking this is probably a very bad idea? Thoughtful of seller but prob risky as the buyer. I don't think the four or five small ink spots can even come out. Anyone have opinions on this type of return? I don't think I would have any protection if I sent the bag back to another address besides seller?
Is the ink on the canvas ? LV does not “clean” bags.

Reactions: BomberGal and kbell
I think if you send it in to be cleaned and it can't be cleaned or repaired, you may lose buyer protection for "altering" the bag, especially if it potentially worsens the bag. I don't know that LV warranty covers that kind of thing, but I could be wrong as I don't own an LV bag.

I agree with BeenBurned to return it for a refund so the seller can then take the risk of seeking cleaning / repairs herself and then resell it with, hopefully, full disclosures.