Seller switched shipping service

quinna

Jun 27, 2013
I recently purchased an item and the terms of the auction included USPS Priority shipping with a two day handling time. The tracking info for my item finally showed up and it was sent a day later than the window with Parcel Select. I assume this was because she did not charge quite enough to cover the shipping to my zone. I'm not too worked up about this, but as a seller I bend over backwards to follow the rules, pack well, and ship quickly (and I've eaten a lot in miscalculated shipping fees early on), so this irritates me a little. How would you handle this situation, if at all? Send a friendly reminder? Ding the dsr? Just looking for some opinions.

If they seem new, I would just let them know that they need to use the shipping method that they put in their terms of sale, and doing otherwise is against eBay policy. I'm not sure if they seem to be established, but for new sellers I think understanding shipping can be pretty tough at first.

The seller has sold about 50 things (purchased lots more) and has been a member since '02, so they're not exactly new, but apparently not a seasoned seller yet.

I think I would send a polite note with regard to the shipping method & share
your thoughts.

Based upon the response, would think about whether would ding seller shipping
stars or just let it go.

I did this when I first started selling. I had a lot of feedback as I had purchased on eBay but didn't have a lot of experience selling. Long story short, I didn't realize that eBay defaults to a certain shipping option and I shipped via fedex smart post (which takes forever). Buyer never noticed and I ended up refunding shipping for something entirely different so there was no harm done. However, I didn't realize my mistake until after the fact. A politely worded note might suffice just to let the seller know as they may not be aware. Someone literally posted a similar situation this week so check out what she wrote if you want a reference.

I did this when I first started selling. I had a lot of feedback as I had purchased on eBay but didn't have a lot of experience selling. Long story short, I didn't realize that eBay defaults to a certain shipping option and I shipped via fedex smart post (which takes forever). Buyer never noticed and I ended up refunding shipping for something entirely different so there was no harm done. However, I didn't realize my mistake until after the fact. A politely worded note might suffice just to let the seller know as they may not be aware. Someone literally posted a similar situation this week so check out what she wrote if you want a reference.

Oops, I didn't notice the other thread, or I wouldn't have posted such a similar topic. I think I will send a nice reminder as you and others have suggested. I never even thought about the fact that it usually defaults to what you last set it as in your previous listings, so that very well could have been it.

I did this with a heavy laptop backpack I sold. I stated in my listing it'll be shipped through FedEx or USPS. And the default shipping service was FedEx Home Delivery. I had problems since FedEx.com does not accept PayPal. UPS.com was a huge headache since they won't print my label through their USELESS Guest Account.

So I tried shipping it with USPS through PayPal's website. I did a partial refund for my buyer and then took it to the post office with the prepaid label but the clerk told me the weight and measurements were all wrong. I measured it to my best effort and it was correct, but I agreed that the weight was wrong. I was horrified that to ship this 5 pound, 17" box that it costs an additional $20 ($50 total) to Texas.

I ended up taking the box to FedEx since it was near the PO. And it only cost me $20 to ship it. I was so irritated that I sent my buyer an apology. He never replied back but he gave me excellent feedback.

Nowadays when I ship anything over 2-3 pounds or more, I usually state in my listing I ship either UPS/FedEx or USPS from now on. And I plan on buying the labels in person in order to avoid any unnecessary headaches.

Last edited: