seller sent wrong item - what to do?

Sep 4, 2006
So after waiting patiently for over a month (international transcation), my new Jbrands finally arrived and lo and behold, they are the wrong jeans! Should I open up a paypal dispute (there's still time) or contact the seller first? I'm really quite upset as I wanted those jeans badly. Also, shipping from my country to the US is quite pricey. Please help me figure out what to do!

Why would you want to open a dispute without contacting the seller first?

It is possible this is an honest mistake the seller made and will rectify as soon as she is aware of the situation.

Why would you want to open a dispute without contacting the seller first?

It is possible this is an honest mistake the seller made and will rectify as soon as she is aware of the situation.

IMO she should do both. If the seller strings her along she will lose the ablity to file the claim if it takes too long.

I would contact the seller first. When I first started selling I managed to get two of my packages mixed up. A lady who bought a prom dress for her daughter got a brand new bag and the lady who bought the bag received a prom dress. As soon as one of the buyers alerted me, I contacted the other. I paid to have both items shipped back to me and then I sent them Express to their buyers. It was my mistake so I ate all of the shipping costs on both items (all that shipping cost more than the dress). You might have a seller who made an honest mistake.

If the seller doesn't respond immediately or hasn't been good with communication then file a dispute - I believe you only have 45 days to do so.

thank you so much for all the responses! i only wondered if i should open a dispute immediately due to the seller being slow on communication and only having a few more days to file the claim. anyway, i have sent her a message informing her of the mix-up and if i don't receive a response in 24 hours, i guess i will go ahead and file a claim as there isn't much time left to do so in order to be protected.

Yes, I agree with at least trying to contact the seller first. It makes one seem much less aggressive and less likely to make the seller defensive. However, any reasonable seller should understand if a deadline is looming if a buyer files a paypal dispute rather quickly in these circumstances.

Hope this works out for you.