seller refusing to allow return an refund on filthy coach!

one more thing. do not send the bag back yet. paypal will ask you for the delivery confirmation number through the dispute after they have decided the claim. if they side with the seller then you will be out of the bag and the money with no recourse other than trying to get your credit card to chargeback the item.
the seller has now said that they will accept the return, so I'm going to send it back priority with sig confirmation and insurance. do you think I should escalate to a claim first? I thought I should send it back all insured and everything, then go from there.

I already opened the dispute with paypal, you all really think I should escalate it to a claim when she said I could return it? I of course would send it insured with delivery conf. I just don't want to get screwed here, but I'm trying to be reasonable too

here's what she said (and this was through ebay, she won't respond via the dispute in paypal)

Return the purse and you will get your 212.50 from paypal as they are with holding those funds.

This makes me nervouse since even though paypal is holding the money, she will have to tell them to release it back to me. UGH!

she just sent me her address to return it to. what do the rest of you think? send it back to her all insured and sig confirm, or escalate to a claim and let paypal deal with it?

I would try to communicate with the seller, through the PP dispute console until the limit on escalating it. Once you escalate it, you are in limbo for 4-5 weeks unless the seller has the ability to refund you.

the dispute is only a day old (I opened it yesterday). so you think it will be okay to just send it back all insured, etc, post the tracking number in the dispute and see what happens. I can always escalate it after that point, I took lots of pics of the bag and will have the tracking info. thanks

go ahead and escalate it, and then add into the Paypal notes that she is allowing you to return. She can respond with an agreement and she will have to let paypal know she has agreed. Then, once you are refunded, you can cancel the claim. I would add signature confirmation, so that way you know SHE had to sign for it.

Ok, I posted a message in the paypal dispute saying that if she did not post a message in the ebay forum saying that she was allowing the return of the bag by midnight tonight that I was going to escalate it to a claim with paypal. I also threw in there that my husband is a lawyer, which is true, just to let her know that I'm not screwing around. So we'll see what happens. If she will post that a return is allowed, I'll send the purse back (its only about 200 miles away in the same state) all sig confirm, insured, etc. If not, I'll escalate it and let paypal deal with her. I will definitely be posting her name here after this is done though, bc she sells lots of purses!

well I took ya'lls advice and escalated it to a claim. I really hope this goes in my favor. I've never had to do this before. How does it all work? Do I have a good chance?

I'm sorry this happened to you and I don't want to scare you but be prepared for a battle. I went through the same thing with a coach bag last year. I took plenty of pics and sent it back insured/sig confirmation after filing a claim through paypal. THEN....paypal told me to take the bag to a coach store and get an estimate of the damage...after I already sent it back!! The seller began to insist to paypal that it was in mint condition and then refused to refund me. He even said he was mailing the filthy bag BACK TO ME! I then had to contact my CC company regarding the transaction and tried to get my money back that way. Paypal was absolutely no help to me...I even begged to send them the pics....but nothing. They said it was "he said - she said." I ended up being refunded through my CC company....minus a $50 FEE....AND the the seller kept my cash!

Court:
DO NOT SEND THE BAG BACK YET. Sorry, but I would escalate it, let Paypal handle it, and if the seller is being truthful about giving you a refund, she will go ahead and issue the refund after the claim has been escalated.
Wait until you hear from Paypal on the next course of action. Do nothing but wait for Paypal. Also, you can call Paypal and give them a "nudge" about getting this resolved. Just say you will file a complaint with Paypal with the Attorney General's office in the state of Nebraska if you don't get your money back, and if the seller is balking at refunding your money.
Sorry to hear you got a nasty bag. Yuck! Can you post the link the auction, so that I can avoid the seller in the future? God, I hope it wasn't the same seller I just bought a Scribble Hobo from for over retail price.

Like everyone else, I'd recommend doing everything via Paypal. Once you escalate and they decide whether you are 'eligible' for a refund, they will probably ask you to send the bag back and supply proof of posting i.e. tracking details etc. That way will ensure you don't end up without bag or £££. Hopefully, it should be relatively smooth . . . all hoping!