Seller refund issue - principle vs. actual $ involved

B. Jara

O.G.
Oct 30, 2005
In a nutshell, purchased 4 small items on ebay from the same seller for $10 each. Identical items, 2 of one color, 2 of another. Upon receipt once of the items was a size smaller than advertised with the wrong tag attached so it looked as though they were all the same size. Item is useless to me. Contacted seller, said I could send the item back for a refund, no problem. I asked if the refund would include my return shipping cost as it was not my error and the answer was no. By the time I ship the item back my refund will be minuscule if anything.

Does this warrant a negative? If yes, should I notify first or is that considered feedback extortion of some type?

Suggestions welcome! :flowers:

Of course you should leave a negative! You received a misrepresented item, why would you do the seller any kind of favours? I probably wouldn't notify the seller, though.

yes, I would leave a negative.... your seller should have taken

responsibility with issuing the return shipping as it was an error she made..

and since she agreed to take the item back she must have known that the

size was incorrect... don't like when sellers do this .. and really, positive feedback

is worth more than a few dollars in postage...

If you were to file a SNAD, Paypal or ebay would award you the original purchase price and original shipping. But not the return shipping. Sometimes they will send out an address label for the return shipping but I'm not sure how often they do this.

Many buyers are not happy about having to pay return shipping particularly for fakes and other SNADs. But that is the way it is and I just chalk it up to the cost of buying on ebay.

For a $10.00 SNAD item that is going to cost almost $10.00 to ship back, the seller should just refund you and forget about it. But she doesn't have to do this.

If the seller was courteous and the other items were great, I'd probably leave a neutral or nothing. But then I'm a softie.

call ebay, there really good at giving you a free return label so you won't have to pay the return shipping. File a claim so the seller has to refund your cost + outward shipping and then neg away!!!!

Why Ebay feels like they have to pay the return shipping escapes me. That money comes from the exorbitant fees that sellers are charged. While I am sorry that you received the wrong item and your seller is not cooperating I don't feel like it is quite right, somehow that Ebay has jacked up the fees just to send return labels and make all those 'courtesy refunds' . It was the sellers' error let her pay for it. I would contact her one more time and if she refuses to budge, open a SNAD to get your original shipping reimbursed and neg her.

Why Ebay feels like they have to pay the return shipping escapes me. That money comes from the exorbitant fees that sellers are charged. While I am sorry that you received the wrong item and your seller is not cooperating I don't feel like it is quite right, somehow that Ebay has jacked up the fees just to send return labels and make all those 'courtesy refunds' . It was the sellers' error let her pay for it. I would contact her one more time and if she refuses to budge, open a SNAD to get your original shipping reimbursed and neg her.

agree here... the seller did make the error.. she should do the shipping
refund..and whether your seller likes it or not, after opening a SNAD
you will get the original shipping back... so if the seller doesn't like it,
she won't have much of a say...

I agree with the other posters. I would contact her one more time to try to get her to refund the original shipping costs to you as this was the sellers error not yours. If they won't budge open a SDAD against them but don't tell them that your going to do so just do it. I'd also wait till the end of the SDAD case to close before leaving negative feedback I also wouldn't tell them that your going to leave negative feedback just do it. There is no reason to warn them about it they earned it.

I agree with the other posters. I would contact her one more time to try to get her to refund the original shipping costs to you as this was the sellers error not yours. If they won't budge open a SDAD against them but don't tell them that your going to do so just do it. I'd also wait till the end of the SDAD case to close before leaving negative feedback I also wouldn't tell them that your going to leave negative feedback just do it. There is no reason to warn them about it they earned it.
The main reason for not warning them is that it can be perceived and reported as feedback extortion.

If I were the buyer, I might send one last email to the seller explaining that because of HER error, the return is necessary and therefore you're requested to be made whole. Explain that you shouldn't be out any money for her mistake in listing the wrong size.

Then if she refuses to issue FULL refunds, she earned her neg. A seller who makes a mistake and doesn't do the right thing deserves the feedback she gets.

A huge thank you for all the suggestions and help.

To clarify, the original shipping to me was free. What I am objecting
to is having to pay for the shipping cost of returning the item back to
the seller. I did go ahead and message them once more:

"Hi,

'Respectfully, this issue is not my fault, it is a SNAD, therefore, in my opinion, I should not be responsible
for the return shipping. Ebay rules aside, as you are a reputable seller, it would be the fair thing to do. I
would hope that your seller integrity would be worth more than a few dollars to compensate for
return postage.

Please advise.

Thank you."

This was their reply:

"Again I apologize for the item being tagged incorrectly. Unfortunately my policy as well as ebay policy is that you are responsible for the return shipping. I will refund the entire purchase price as soon as the item is returned."

After I first posted here, I went and checked their feedback on toolhaus. Although their feedback is 99.4%, they had over 40 negatives over the past few years, and the main complaint was for exactly my beef - buyer being responsible for return shipping on either a SNAD/defective item. Some had even opted not to return as it would not be worth their while. I did check the feedback prior to purchase, although not on toolhaus. I don't know if I would have been persuaded though even if I had, these were items that had been discontinued a year or so back and they were the only seller that was offering them.

Again, this is principle with me, not the money. How can they get away with this same issue over and over again? As northerndancer mentioned, is it just the cost of doing business on ebay? If so, it just doesn't sit right with me. :nono:

BeenBurned ^ - I agree 100%

I am guessing the reason ebay doesn't require sellers to pay return shipping on SNAD items is a compromise between buyers rights and sellers rights.

While your item is clearly SNAD, many items are open to debate as to whether or not they are SNAD. Also some buyers stretch a buyer's remorse into a SNAD in order to force a return. Not always, but usually buyers win SNADs. So for those debatable SNADs splitting the shipping costs is the fair thing to do IMO.

For clear cut SNADs like yours, ebay is not going to force the seller to pay the return shipping. It is up to the ethics of the seller. Most don't pay return shipping. And most don't get negged for it. I have never had to pay a large amount to return an item - maybe $15.00 tops and it really hasn't bothered me that much. But that's just me.

The seller made the error here... she should assume the responsibility for it..

she shipped out an item in the worng size... if she was able to ship out a

corrected size, she would pay for that shipping... why not pay for the

return shipping?? IMO, the seller is being hard a** about it... it is clearly

a SNAD.. and yes, she should refund the shipping out of principle... this is

not the kind of seller I would want to do business with & her feedback speaks

for itself... NEG her big time & just move on....she has earned the neg ,IMO

It is now up to you whether you just keep the item and neg her, or pay for return shipping + get a refund and neg her.

Either way, she deserves a neg, since clearly she is not going to do the right thing here, and she has done it before.
Sorry about this, OP :sad: I hope you can leave it behind you soon! :flowers:

It is now up to you whether you just keep the item and neg her, or pay for return shipping + get a refund and neg her.

Either way, she deserves a neg, since clearly she is not going to do the right thing here, and she has done it before.
Sorry about this, OP :sad: I hope you can leave it behind you soon! :flowers:[/QUOTE

This seller IMO still deserves a NEG.. sent the wrong size and
is not doing the right thing with the shipping $, just my opinion