Seller protection

oggers86

Dec 7, 2008
I sold a second bag on ebay and the buyer paid but asked me to ship to an address not supplied by paypal. I explained that unless they change their address through paypal i wont ship as i am not eligible for seller protection. They are refusing to change their address so it looks like i will have to cancel the transaction and refund.

This is correct isnt it? Alarm bells are ringing as they say they cant get to the post office to pick the bag up. Sorry but thats not my problem and im not risking an INR...

Absolutely positively do NOT ever ship to an address that is not paypal verified. You will have NO seller protection, and you are just setting yourself up for being scammed. They could easily add another address to their account and telling you that they refuse to do this is a HUGE red flag.

I sold a second bag on ebay and the buyer paid but asked me to ship to an address not supplied by paypal. I explained that unless they change their address through paypal i wont ship as i am not eligible for seller protection. They are refusing to change their address so it looks like i will have to cancel the transaction and refund.

This is correct isnt it? Alarm bells are ringing as they say they cant get to the post office to pick the bag up. Sorry but thats not my problem and im not risking an INR...

Yes you need to ship to the address specified on the Paypal transaction page in order to be covered by seller protection.

Tell her it's very easy for you to refund her payment. She can pay again, this time adding the new shipping address in paypal. That way, you'll get the "okay to ship" approval and you'll be protected.

If she refuses to do it, it sounds like she's up to no good.

Are they asking you to ship to a work address? If it is legit, they should have no problem adding that address to their PP account and verifying it. I have had several things ship to buyers work places. As long as it says OK to ship there I have no problem with it.

poopsie2 said:
Are they asking you to ship to a work address? If it is legit, they should have no problem adding that address to their PP account and verifying it. I have had several things ship to buyers work places. As long as it says OK to ship there I have no problem with it.

Yes basically...i can try and get them to add on their address but they have interestingly gone from nice to a bit angry..hmm.

BeenBurned said:
I think you dodged a bullet.

Ok now they are saying its against ebay rules to add a company address and they cant pay through their company.

I dont really know what to suggest as despite their claims they are a long standing ebay member i am not sending to an address not on paypal.

Surely they have a day off??!

Ok now they are saying its against ebay rules to add a company address and they cant pay through their company.

I dont really know what to suggest as despite their claims they are a long standing ebay member i am not sending to an address not on paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?articleID=94041&m=SRE

"You might have many addresses associated with your PayPal account – a home address, a work address where you might receive deliveries, or various billing addresses."

And from another ebay related site, the "how to":

"Just sign in to your Paypal Account.

Once signed in, click the far right tab "profile". Go to the far left column under "account information" and click on "street address". Once that page comes up, click "add" under your own address. Add the desired address that you want your package(s) to be shipped to. This way when making a payment you can simply select the correct address for shipping.

You can add as many addresses as needed and you can erase them just as easy."

What nonsense. They are merely adding a 'ship to' address to their paypal account - there are provisions for this! Equally, they're not paying through their company - they are paying from their paypal account with an additional shipment address added.

From paypal's site:
"Only post to the buyer's address provided in the 'Transaction Details' and only accept payments in full from a single PayPal account."

Send the buyer the link:
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security
(it's under the Seller Protection part)
and politely explain you must follow paypal's rules. Give the buyer the option of a refund and cancelling the transaction or you will refund, they can add the address they want the item shipped to and can repay.

You might also want to send them this!
Can I ask the seller to send the item to someone else's address?

You can only ask a seller to send an item to someone else’s address if you have first added that address to your PayPal account as a gift address.

To add a gift address to your PayPal account:

1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Click Profile near the top of the page.
3.Beside 'Address', click Update.
4.Click Add Address.
5.Select Add a gift address, enter the address, and then click Save.

Please do not let this potential scammer bully you into breaking the rules for them, you are doing the right thing in requesting that they either change the address on Paypal first to one where you will have seller protection. Having no business is still better than whatever potential headache you could end up losing should they claim an INR.

I actually had this exact situation this week (luckily with a very nice buyer) where they paid me and then needed to change their shipping address from their home to their work. In order to do so and also remain in keeping with Paypals requirements for seller protection, I needed to send her another invoice so she could switch to the second address which was her work address. However at first when I resent the invoice the order total kept coming up as double the amount, Ebay said it was because she paid already (even though I refunded her right away on Paypal) so I needed to send her a Cancel Transaction request (to get my seller fees back) and then just to relist and have her bid again (basically redo the sale).

I've also sold to many buyers who use their work addresses, many people keep busy work hours, anything over $250 is required to have signature confirmation (which can be a hassle because not everyone will have the time to be at home to sign for it) so naturally things get delivered to the workplace, it is *very* common.

I also have two addresses (I go to college in a different state, I'm home on summer breaks) on my Paypal and Ebay that I switch between all the time.

yyou824 said:
Please do not let this potential scammer bully you into breaking the rules for them, you are doing the right thing in requesting that they either change the address on Paypal first to one where you will have seller protection. Having no business is still better than whatever potential headache you could end up losing should they claim an INR.

I actually had this exact situation this week (luckily with a very nice buyer) where they paid me and then needed to change their shipping address from their home to their work. In order to do so and also remain in keeping with Paypals requirements for seller protection, I needed to send her another invoice so she could switch to the second address which was her work address. However at first when I resent the invoice the order total kept coming up as double the amount, Ebay said it was because she paid already (even though I refunded her right away on Paypal) so I needed to send her a Cancel Transaction request (to get my seller fees back) and then just to relist and have her bid again (basically redo the sale).

I've also sold to many buyers who use their work addresses, many people keep busy work hours, anything over $250 is required to have signature confirmation (which can be a hassle because not everyone will have the time to be at home to sign for it) so naturally things get delivered to the workplace, it is *very* common.

I also have two addresses (I go to college in a different state, I'm home on summer breaks) on my Paypal and Ebay that I switch between all the time.

Dont worry i wont. If needs be il cancel and refund. Is she able to neg me for it and if so will ebay remove it?

Yes basically...i can try and get them to add on their address but they have interestingly gone from nice to a bit angry..hmm.

It would concern me that they she has gone from nice to a bit angry. This is not something to get angry about.

You can add multiple shipping addresses to your account. There may be issues with which address is confirmed.

Dont worry i wont. If needs be il cancel and refund. Is she able to neg me for it and if so will ebay remove it?

Yes she can neg you for this. Ebay does not readily remove negs but if you get a sympathetic ear you might be able to get it removed.

northerndancer said:
It would concern me that they she has gone from nice to a bit angry. This is not something to get angry about.

You can add multiple shipping addresses to your account. There may be issues with which address is confirmed.

Yes she can neg you for this. Ebay does not readily remove negs but if you get a sympathetic ear you might be able to get it removed.

I would be pretty annoyed if they didnt remove it as i am following policy!

Shes still adamant paypal wont let her add a company address to her personal account but others manage to.

Instead of suggesting a date to post when she is at home (i can post it next day delivery) which is what i would do she wants to cancel. This obviously raises my suspicions so...

I would be pretty annoyed if they didnt remove it as i am following policy!

Shes still adamant paypal wont let her add a company address to her personal account but others manage to.

Instead of suggesting a date to post when she is at home (i can post it next day delivery) which is what i would do she wants to cancel. This obviously raises my suspicions so...

So it's going UK to UK?

Well, she's just wrong because I used to have my work's address as a shipment address on PP. So I think this is very odd indeed - she's clearly allowed to received personal mail at work otherwise she wouldn't ask for it be shipped there via email!

She could, if she wasn't being so awkward, ask you to send it for guaranteed Saturday delivery.

Send her the links I posted above - see what she says when it's in B&W !!