Seller not communicating for promised refund

B. Jara

O.G.
Oct 30, 2005
4,306
12
NWT handbag purchase. Advertised as mint condition. Paid $300.

Sellers auction stated returns accepted within 14 days. Prior to bidding on item I asked seller via eBay message if it had been around smoke, seller said didn't think so and item did not smell as though it had. Negotiated a BIN price and paid immediately via paypal thru AMEX credit card.

Received the bag last week. I could smell the smoke odor as soon as opened the box...bag smells like an ashtray. Emailed seller immediately and said I would allow it to air out a couple days prior to making a final decision. Smell has not subsided so I want to return as I feel this is not a NWT mint bag worth and not what I paid. BTDT trying unsuccessfully to remove smoke from an LV bag a few years ago and don't want to go that route again as in that case odor controlling pellets, etc. made it worse and non-returnable. Smell may or may not subside in a few weeks time in its own but I don't have that time allowable by seller's auction terms.

Bag also has a pretty noticeable strap indentation on front panel...in hindsight I now see there were 2-3 photos taken of back of the bag however front was left out so I don't know if it was like that or occurred during shipping. Again, I do not feel this is a NWT mint bag. Would possibly consider a reduction in price to what a used bag of same style sold for which has averaged $150-$200.

When I contacted seller last week about the odor, they were apologetic and offered full refund (thru ebay message system) if odor didn't subside in a few days. Item was from an estate sale and the current seller didn't smoke or allow smoking in their home. Sellers communication has always been prompt...until now. I sent a message to seller Friday and a repeat message again on Sunday. No word yet. I realize it was the weekend, however I would love advice as to what my next step should be.

Thank you! :smile:
 

JadaStormy

Member
Jan 23, 2012
4,881
1,938
houstatlantavegas
NWT handbag purchase. Advertised as mint condition. Paid $300.

Sellers auction stated returns accepted within 14 days. Prior to bidding on item I asked seller via eBay message if it had been around smoke, seller said didn't think so and item did not smell as though it had. Negotiated a BIN price and paid immediately via paypal thru AMEX credit card.

Received the bag last week. I could smell the smoke odor as soon as opened the box...bag smells like an ashtray. Emailed seller immediately and said I would allow it to air out a couple days prior to making a final decision. Smell has not subsided so I want to return as I feel this is not a NWT mint bag worth and not what I paid. BTDT trying unsuccessfully to remove smoke from an LV bag a few years ago and don't want to go that route again as in that case odor controlling pellets, etc. made it worse and non-returnable. Smell may or may not subside in a few weeks time in its own but I don't have that time allowable by seller's auction terms.

Bag also has a pretty noticeable strap indentation on front panel...in hindsight I now see there were 2-3 photos taken of back of the bag however front was left out so I don't know if it was like that or occurred during shipping. Again, I do not feel this is a NWT mint bag. Would possibly consider a reduction in price to what a used bag of same style sold for which has averaged $150-$200.

When I contacted seller last week about the odor, they were apologetic and offered full refund (thru ebay message system) if odor didn't subside in a few days. Item was from an estate sale and the current seller didn't smoke or allow smoking in their home. Sellers communication has always been prompt...until now. I sent a message to seller Friday and a repeat message again on Sunday. No word yet. I realize it was the weekend, however I would love advice as to what my next step should be.

Thank you! :smile:
I wouldn't have waited for the bag to air out when you specifically asked about smoke prior to purchase, plus in my experience it doesn't work because the smoke is in the fibers of the bag.

Anyway, I would give the seller at least until tomorrow morning to respond. Your communication was over the weekend, give them the benefit of the doubt, not everyone is using the app or plugged in 24/7. You can always file a SNAD claim if they don't follow through.
 
Apr 15, 2007
62,883
6,242
I also think you should give the seller the benefit of the doubt here because it is
a weekend & many take Monday to catch up.

You already sent the seller an e-mail, she should refund promptly (I'd wait until
tomorrow).
.
If you do file a SNAD, it just may delay your seller from refunding more promptly
 

love4mom

Member
Aug 9, 2010
1,507
2
New Jersey
Maybe I missed something, but did you actually already returned the bag and it shows that it has been received by the seller?
You can;t expect the refund before you return it.
 

2ndname

Member
May 18, 2014
5
0
Are you looking for a full refund or price reduction? Note that for a full refund you'll have to return the bag first. Until then you won't even win a dispute with paypal since they'll require a tracking information that shows up as being shipped back to the seller.

If the bag looks decent and you'll be happy with keeping it for a reduction in price, I would ask them for a reduction instead as sending it back will cost you money in terms of shipping charges ($20?).
 

B. Jara

O.G.
Oct 30, 2005
4,306
12
Thank you, I will wait another day.

I'm sorry, my message was a bit confusing. I know that for a refund I must return the bag. When I click on return item, it states I have to contact the seller to initiate a return.

I am waiting for return instructions from seller and not an immediate refund. 😉
 
Apr 15, 2007
62,883
6,242
Thank you, I will wait another day.

I'm sorry, my message was a bit confusing. I know that for a refund I must return the bag. When I click on return item, it states I have to contact the seller to initiate a return.

I am waiting for return instructions from seller and not an immediate refund. ��

Your post was a bit confusing. Your seller said they would accept the
return but they suggested that you 'air" out the bag. It didn't work so
you are now waiting to hear back from the seller?

I'd send another e-mail tomorrow & if your seller doesn't respond by the
end of the day, open a SNAD.

Since the seller's listing states they accept returns, (14 days) you can send the item
back .. Just do it within that time period...

Just return the bag with delivery & signature confirmation.. (visible on line tracking) Insurance is up
to you as the bag is $300..
 

B. Jara

O.G.
Oct 30, 2005
4,306
12
If I don't hear back by end of day tomorrow, which would be better- initiate a SNAD or just return the bag (to the return address on the original shipping label) as they have a 14 day return policy...I don't have to wait for specific return instructions to do that? That's what I am unclear about at this point. I don't want to get denied buyer coverage of a return because they didn't give specific instruction (provided I don't hear from them)... Also, if I don't hear from seller how do I know the return addy on box is verified?

Thank you so much for your help!!
 
Apr 15, 2007
62,883
6,242
If I don't hear back by end of day tomorrow, which would be better- initiate a SNAD or just return the bag (to the return address on the original shipping label) as they have a 14 day return policy...I don't have to wait for specific return instructions to do that? That's what I am unclear about at this point. I don't want to get denied buyer coverage of a return because they didn't give specific instruction (provided I don't hear from them)... Also, if I don't hear from seller how do I know the return addy on box is verified?

Thank you so much for your help!!

The last thing you want is for your package to be sitting at the po waiting
for your seller to pick it up.

I think I would file a SNAD (for your buyer protection) if you don't hear back
from your seller.

You want to be sure you are returning the bag to a confirmed PP address
with on line tracking & sig conf.
 

MAGJES

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
21,311
15,709
North Carolina
If I don't hear back by end of day tomorrow, which would be better- initiate a SNAD or just return the bag (to the return address on the original shipping label) as they have a 14 day return policy...I don't have to wait for specific return instructions to do that? That's what I am unclear about at this point. I don't want to get denied buyer coverage of a return because they didn't give specific instruction (provided I don't hear from them)... Also, if I don't hear from seller how do I know the return addy on box is verified?

Thank you so much for your help!!
I bought a bag recently on ebay with a 14 day return policy. I clicked on the return process key and ebay notified the seller of the intent to return. I had to wait about 24 hours to receive my return label and mail it off. I did not have to go back and forth through the messaging system and speak with my seller about this and that. It was handled through the '14 day return process." Hope this helps.
 

love4mom

Member
Aug 9, 2010
1,507
2
New Jersey
I bought a bag recently on ebay with a 14 day return policy. I clicked on the return process key and ebay notified the seller of the intent to return. I had to wait about 24 hours to receive my return label and mail it off. I did not have to go back and forth through the messaging system and speak with my seller about this and that. It was handled through the '14 day return process." Hope this helps.
Your seller was opted into a Managed Returns Process. That is why your process was that way. Most sellers are not in Managed Returns, so the process is not automated.
OP: wait for the seller to respond (about 48 hours from the time you sent the last email) and if no response, open the case.
 

B. Jara

O.G.
Oct 30, 2005
4,306
12
Thanks everyone for the help and advice!!

I will wait until this evening to file a dispute. Still no contact from seller.

Is it better to do through ebay or paypal for a SNAD? Also, should I include the damage noted on the front of the bag in the dispute as it further signifies it wasn't "NWT, Mint" as described in auction description? Smoke smell was denied via ebay message prior to close of auction, but not original auction terms. Does that matter?
 
Apr 15, 2007
62,883
6,242
Thanks everyone for the help and advice!!

I will wait until this evening to file a dispute. Still no contact from seller.

Is it better to do through ebay or paypal for a SNAD? Also, should I include the damage noted on the front of the bag in the dispute as it further signifies it wasn't "NWT, Mint" as described in auction description? Smoke smell was denied via ebay message prior to close of auction, but not original auction terms. Does that matter?

A SNAD is better thru ebay & INR thru pp.

Since your seller accepts returns,she should just tell you to return the bag.

Smoke is very subjective & would focus on the damage in the front
 

Luvbolide

O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
6,384
3,341
I am not an expert on this, but it is my understanding that if you are going to file a SNAD, you must detail all of the issues in your claim. You cannot, for example, focus on the damage on the front and then later claim - oh yes, and a smoke smell, too. Put everything that is SNAD about your item into the claim. Yes, smoke is subjective, so is other damage; a scratch that is minor to me may be a ghastly slash to someone else. While some say that claims for SNAD based on cigarette smell are denied, others have been successful.

Given that your seller says that she accepts returns and initially agreed to accept a return here, she will be hard pressed to argue with you about your specific reasons.

Make sure you keep all of your communications with seller through the eBay messaging system so that they can have access to the messages.
 
Top