Seller feels scammed by paypal

dragonlady76

Bag Hag
Apr 11, 2008
Sunny Florida
I would like some feedback from fellow tpf'ers

I recently decided to bring my local business to ebay, I sell authentic designer goods, some items are mine some are consigned from my clients.
I know Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Coach, Juicy Couture etc... well and can easily spot fakes, If I am not sure, I will take it to the boutique or post it here.

I am a long time ebayer, and decided to start a new id under my biz name, I closed my old "family" account and moved my paypal to the new id, as I read the newest terms I cam upon the paypal hold.
This scares the living hell out of me!
I have a hard time seeing ebay hold my funds until the customer is satisfied, I uderstand that it's well intended but as a seller of designer goods, I can't help but feel like this will get me scammed.

First off, none of clients will want to wait for their money.

2. Buyers will be wary of me to begin with since the id is new.

3. While the id is new my paypal account is not, it's been open several years with no problems, since ebay owns paypal why hold my verified premier accounts funds?

I feel stuck, wondering if I should even bother with ebay.:confused1:

Varied_obsessions

Because I said so
O.G.
May 7, 2006
Maybe sell some really cheap things to get feedback for this id? At this point of the game, if you're selling HE items the hold is something you can't avoid but it's not supposed to be on every item IIRC.

Nov 16, 2007
OR
I would keep the old ID and change it to a new name reflecting the name of your business. Keep all of your old feedback so people aren't leery of that big scary "0" next to your name.

You will have an icon that shows your buyers that you changed your ID for 30 days following the change, but that is small noodles compared to starting from 0.

dragonlady76

Bag Hag
Apr 11, 2008
Sunny Florida
I did think about changing the name but I had already closed it, I think that you cannot reopen it once closed and the biz name is on ebay. My husband still has his account, I could list some of the expensive stuff under it but I wanted to list under my biz for reputation,feedback and return customers.
It's hard to build a reputation for selling Louis Vuitton, when your id shows none sold.
I guess I could sell 1 or 2 of mine and be extra careful to who and how I sell, before doing any listings for my clients.

Nov 16, 2007
OR
Darn! I'm so sorry it seems like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Just make sure with your new name you put on your new listings almost exactly what you put here, and just fully disclose that you had another ID, but closed it for business purposes. That might ease serious buyers. There will always be those casual buyers that pop on to your listing, see "0" and run away.

japskivt

Jul 11, 2006
NYC
I just started on ebay. I bought a few things and sold some bags, Dior & Bottega (both worth over 2k each) without a problem. I just stuck to my guns and only dealt with buyers I felt comfortable with.

dragonlady76

Bag Hag
Apr 11, 2008
Sunny Florida
I just started on ebay. I bought a few things and sold some bags, Dior & Bottega (both worth over 2k each) without a problem. I just stuck to my guns and only dealt with buyers I felt comfortable with.
That's good to hear, I usually don't sell to low feedback/newbies but damn that's going to look silly now since I am in the same boat! :sweatdrop:

I always insure and require sigs for shipping too.

LT bag lady

MASTER ENABLER
Authenticator
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
List some smaller items you have around the house or some shoes you no longer wear and as you mentioned some of your own bags. Buy a few items on eBay, security tags, shipping supplies, stuff you are going to need anyway. Built up you rating fast.
Good luck!