Seller doesn't have receipt

dreamlet

Find Beauty in the Ordinary
O.G.
Oct 22, 2010
Should I be concerned if an ebay seller doesn't have the original receipt for an item, and claims it was a gift?

Pictures otherwise look good.

no... i dont think not having the receipt is a red flag. fyi - receipts can be faked.

Agree, I have seen a fake saks receipt. they are very very close to the original. Or maybe your seller doesnt want to disclose you the receipt, they might get it at a very GOOD deal, and wouldnt want you to know. Instead worrying about the receipt, you should authenticate the item that you are buying. Because that matters most :smile:

Receipts mean nothing. Seller should not be sending the original receipt to you anyway.

Sellers who buy used things to sell won't have a receipt.

Some sellers do not ask for gift receipts on purpose.

Get it authenticated! I don't really hang onto receipts anymore, plus I don't think having one proves authenticity because they're easily faked. Have someone on here look at it prior to bidding.

Yep, the 'gift' along with there being no receipt would raise a red flag.

Otherwise, just the issue of no receipt alone not necessarily.

Linda

Agree. Some people are not good receipt savers, so the lack of a receipt is no big deal.

The word "gift" always makes me nervous. I'm sure there are many legitimate items being sold that started out as "gifts" but it is also a commonly used ploy to deny culpability if the item turns out to be fake.

I don't necessarily think that not having a receipt is a bad thing. Not everyone keeps their receipts, I certainly don't. However I have to agree with Linda, stating item was a gift, always a red flag for me. Please get any item authenticated before purchase, that is your safest bet.

It depends...if they are claiming that they don't have a receipt because it was a gift, then I think that's totally normal. But if they said it was both a gift AND that they didn't keep the receipt, then I think that's a bid odd because the original receipt is not typically given with a gift in the first place. Know what I mean?

Either way, I'm with everyone else - have it authenticated no matter what.

Yes, the seller claims it was a gift, and that's why there is no receipt.

I'm working on authenticating it, but was a little nervous when I heard " gift". It does sound like an excuse for not knowing the origin of the bag.

I would definitely have it authenicated. It is too easy to have a genuine reciept and a fake bag or vice versa,or even worse fake both! I really only have the reciepts that I kept in my inbox from special order bags. Otherwise they're gone...That does not make my bag a fake however!

The "gift" thing is good to know. I am selling a bag that actually was a gift. But I know the source so know it's genuine, had it authenticated ahead of time anyway and stated so in my listing, and have directed potential buyers here for further authentication. So I hope that covers the bases.

I mean, if you receive a bag you don't want as a gift doesn't it make sense to sell it on Ebay? It never occurred to me that "gift" would raise a red flag since many gifted authentic bags that are unwanted will end up on Ebay (there are a lot of people who aren't into bags and would rather have the money). I guess I thought anyone who wants to buy an expensive bag from Ebay would be sure to authenticate it before buying. Now I'm worried that my listing might be a red flag if anyone asks about where I got the bag (although no one has asked that particular question yet). :sad: