Seller changes mind and refunds my purchase... is neutral feedback bad??

eq7777

Feb 6, 2009
Hi, this has happened twice to me: I've won an auction and paid immediately, and days later I get refunded via paypal and an email from seller that they cannot follow through with the sale. The first time was lame (the seller said her sister took the blouse with her to college), but I let it go. I recently won a Marc Jacobs top, and seller refunded me and emailed me saying she could not go through with the sale, and said ebay wouldn't let her cancel the listing. Both sellers were semi-nice I guess, but it's frustrating because I let another item that I wanted go in order to bid on this last one (and she gave no reason for changing her mind to sell).

My question is: what type of feedback should I leave? I was about to just state that my bid/payment was cancelled and leave a neutral feedback, but then *bay puts up a page with something along the lines of "Are you sure you want to leave neutral feedback...?" like it is bad or something... I haven't left any feedback yet, but I'd like to because that item will keep appearing every time I go to leave feedback for other items. It certainly wasn't a positive transaction, but it wasn't that bad either (also I'll admit that I am one of those that fears retaliation if I leave bad feedback) ... suggestions? TIA

Selkie

<3 tPF
Jul 27, 2009
N. E. Scotland
Hi there
This has happened to me too. Since the transaction was never fully completed I left no feedback at all. I'm with you and fear retaliation, so for me it was the best option. :smile:

mmmsc

O.G.
Feb 1, 2007
USA
I think a neutral with something like "Seller would not complete sale, refunded my money" would give people the idea that they should be wary of this seller. Seller's remorse does happen and I don't think she should get a neg, but if she does this a lot, maybe she should.... Others' opinions on this?

sianii11

Gleek...
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Buckinghamshire
^^I think neutral is perfectly fair - it was neither a positive or negative experience, therefore it makes sense. The question from Ebay "are you sure you want to leave a neutral" is just standard to warn people who have accidentally clicked the wrong option (it does happen!), so it's not to try and stop you if that's what you want to leave.

Also as far as retaliation goes - don't forget that sellers can only leave a positive feedback or nothing at all - if they were sad enough to try and harass you via ebay/e-mail to get you to remove it you can report them to Ebay - so i wouldn't worry too much about that...TBH, once they made the decision not to sell they should feel lucky enough not to get a negative - there are plenty of people out there who would leave one...

ladyisobel

Sarah
O.G.
Mar 22, 2006
Devon UK
i agree, a neutral is appropriate " seller would not complete transaction, refunded "
you could report for non performing seller too , and don't worry about retaliation, like sianii said, can't happen.

aimtree

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
london uk
I wouldn't leave any feedback as in the end no item was purchased.
I think that neutrals and negs can hurt sellers a lot and I think if the person refunds you ( I've had this happen to me three times) to me It's not the end of the world and I would let it go. Maybe I'm too soft I don't know, but I would prefer they give the money back upfront than muck around and not ship the item.
They will still have to pay the sellers fees, so I don't think they get away with their sellers remorse completely.

LindaP

O.G.
Dec 31, 2007
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia USA
i agree, a neutral is appropriate " seller would not complete transaction, refunded "
you could report for non performing seller too , and don't worry about retaliation, like sianii said, can't happen.
I would leave a neutral as well. It seems like it's pefectly acceptable for sellers to cancel sales but let a buyer not pay for an item won and all hell breaks loose!

Linda

Ms. P

Jul 26, 2006
Long Island
I would base my decision on the reason. If she honestly lost it or something happened to it, give her a break. But if she just changed her mind or didn't get enough for it, then maybe a neutral.

AJA123

Apr 25, 2009
I had this happen to me recently also. I didn't leave feedback at all. It's very unfair to cancel the transaction but the seller expect their payment asap. :tdown:

domlee

Jan 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Personally, I think this is unacceptable behavior on the part of the seller. The very principle of an auction, is for the bidding to go as high as a buyer will pay. And once the time is up, that is the determined price that the seller must sell to you.

The idea that a seller simply refunds your money because they thought they could get more for something, and renegs out of the "deal", is unacceptable behavior. That is why Ebay allows the seller to set a reserve. If they don't do this, true market behavior dictates what the price will be.

Anyone that claims that their sister took the item w/ them to college is a complete lie in my opinion because they took the time to take pics of the item for auction, yet it magically disappears when the auction is finalized.

Ms. P

Jul 26, 2006
Long Island
Personally, I think this is unacceptable behavior on the part of the seller. The very principle of an auction, is for the bidding to go as high as a buyer will pay. And once the time is up, that is the determined price that the seller must sell to you.

The idea that a seller simply refunds your money because they thought they could get more for something, and renegs out of the "deal", is unacceptable behavior. That is why Ebay allows the seller to set a reserve. If they don't do this, true market behavior dictates what the price will be.

Anyone that claims that their sister took the item w/ them to college is a complete lie in my opinion because they took the time to take pics of the item for auction, yet it magically disappears when the auction is finalized.
I don't think this was spelled out. (the reason). Why did she cancel the auction?

ladyisobel

Sarah
O.G.
Mar 22, 2006
Devon UK
I wouldn't leave any feedback as in the end no item was purchased.
I think that neutrals and negs can hurt sellers a lot and I think if the person refunds you ( I've had this happen to me three times) to me It's not the end of the world and I would let it go. Maybe I'm too soft I don't know, but I would prefer they give the money back upfront than muck around and not ship the item.
They will still have to pay the sellers fees, so I don't think they get away with their sellers remorse completely.
the whole point of feedback is so others can see how the seller/buyer has performed , if they've not completed a transaction for whatever reason then others should be made aware of it, if it's a lame reason i'd be a little more harsh with my wording, if it was a reasonable reason then i'd be a lot more lenient, but i would still leave a neutral.

ferrara105

Mar 5, 2008
Leave NEGATIVE! She can't leave you a neg. Unless she says it got stolen or something horrible I would leave a negative. Huge waste of your time, and then next time she'll think twice before doing it again. Don't be afraid of retaliation, she can only leave a positive for you. I have had this done to me three times! I have always been nice but then I figured out that they are not satisfied with the selling price so they do this. That's why there are reserves, if she doesn't have enough sense to use one than its her own fault..... Good Luck.