Seller acting fishy?

DariaD

May 20, 2011
Hello, everyone!

I would like to hear some opinions about my recent purchase on eBay and get some advice in case my suspicious mind is right.

I recently purchased CL shoes on eBay for a fraction of a price (retail $1000+ and I won them for $2xx). Me and the seller agreed on postage with signed for delivery.
After 4 days of waiting I contacted the seller and asked if she has sent the shoes. She said she did send those two days ago (yet she never indicated it in item status or added a tracking number)
It's been 10 days since she shipped the shoes and I'm still waiting (it's UK to EU so normally it takes 5-7 days for parcel to reach it's destination).
Yesterday I contacted her and asked for a tracking number and she wrote me that she is "not sure if she can find one", but if the shoes are lost she will be happy to refund me.

My logic tells me that if she'd really send me those shoes, she would be quite bummed to lose both really expensive shoes and the money. But she was totally cool with the refund and news about shoes not reaching me.

My guess is that she never actually sent the shoes and planning to re-sell those. Am I paranoid? In case she will refund me and relist the shoes after that, what do I do?

IrisCole

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
It's possible that she sent them and they haven't arrived yet, but since it sounds like she knew she'd need signature confirmation, it does seem very strange that she would have misplaced the tracking information.

I'd keep an eye out on her auctions and also see if the shoes pop up under another screen name .

mary333

O.G.
Mar 27, 2011
The same thing happened to me with an Anthropologie shirt I had really wanted and was thrilled to find on ebay. I waited excitedly for it and after some time I emailed the seller to get a tracking number. She emailed me back that I should have gotten it by now but no problem, she would immediately refund me. She never asked me to let her know if it arrived (which it never did) or expressed any concern over the shirt being lost. I'm sure she never sent it. I was frustrated but glad to be refunded so easily.

gidramom

O.G.
Dec 27, 2008
The seller might be pretending to have shipped the shoes to avoid being reported as a non-performing seller. But it's a bit too early to judge.
I would wait for 4 or 5 more days and file INR claim. And see how the seller responds.
I don't know how things move within Europe. Do you guys have to fill in custom form?

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
I'd keep an eye out on her auctions and also see if the shoes pop up under another screen name .

The same thing happened to me with an Anthropologie shirt I had really wanted and was thrilled to find on ebay. I waited excitedly for it and after some time I emailed the seller to get a tracking number. She emailed me back that I should have gotten it by now but no problem, she would immediately refund me. She never asked me to let her know if it arrived (which it never did) or expressed any concern over the shirt being lost. I'm sure she never sent it. I was frustrated but glad to be refunded so easily.
When that happens, those sellers have rightfully earned negs.

If they don't want to sell for less than a certain amount, they should either pay a fee for a reserve or start the listings at a "happy" price.

But to sell and not follow through is wrong, IMO.

Apr 15, 2007
Hello, everyone!

I would like to hear some opinions about my recent purchase on eBay and get some advice in case my suspicious mind is right.

I recently purchased CL shoes on eBay for a fraction of a price (retail $1000+ and I won them for $2xx). Me and the seller agreed on postage with signed for delivery.
After 4 days of waiting I contacted the seller and asked if she has sent the shoes. She said she did send those two days ago (yet she never indicated it in item status or added a tracking number)
It's been 10 days since she shipped the shoes and I'm still waiting (it's UK to EU so normally it takes 5-7 days for parcel to reach it's destination).
Yesterday I contacted her and asked for a tracking number and she wrote me that she is "not sure if she can find one", but if the shoes are lost she will be happy to refund

My logic tells me that if she'd really send me those shoes, she would be quite bummed to lose both really expensive shoes and the money. But she was totally cool with the refund and news about shoes not reaching me.

My guess is that she never actually sent the shoes and planning to re-sell those. Am I paranoid? In case she will refund me and relist the shoes after that, what do I do?

Not surprised at this at all.. A very typical scenario that the shoes did not
sell for the price seller anticipated they would, so seller is playing the
already shipped game & is buying some time, otherwise she would have
provided all the info you requested. The "not sure I can find one" is
nonsense & not a professional response to a shipping question.. A dead giveaway
for an excuse, IYKWIM

I'd give it a few more days & then I would file an INR... I also would leave
NEGATIVE feedback without any hesitation if the shoes don't make it

Sep 11, 2006
I think you've received some good advice and the sellers emails are a little odd.

The post within the UK does slow down quite significantly at this time of year so I would allow a few extra days for your item to arrive at this time of year.

Apr 15, 2007
Thank you all so much for your replies! I will give it some more days and then contact seller again. Glad to know I am not over paranoid :biggrin:

No you are not overly paranoid. As a buyer your expectations that your
package will be delivered are quite realistic.

Your seller should havie given you the shipping info you requested.

That just seems like good business 101...

SophieChic

O.G.
Oct 6, 2011
I would be shocked if she actually sent the shoes, I think you are spot on with your suspicions. Who says, "Oh yeah, they might be lost, I will go ahead and refund you". She is scamming, and not very well. I doubt you will ever see those shoes for that price, unfortunately.