Sell my Balenciaga black City to fund an Alexander Wang Rocco?

butterfli312

Jun 17, 2011
Am I crazy? Nothing is wrong with my City I do like it a lot and wear it frequently...it's just I'm kinda bored of it? It's the City with reguar hardware and I can't help but feel $1575 was a lot to pay for a black bag designer or not.

At the time I needed a basic black bag because everything else in my collection is either colorful or monogram LV...the only other neutral bag I own is another Balenciaga in the color Sahara a pale neutral beige...

So now I'm thinking of getting a "jazzier" black bag such as an Alexander Wang Rocco with Rose Gold hardware..but then I'd have no "plain" black bag and I realize a Balenciaga is considered premier and Alexander Wang contemporary...I'm thinking if I see my Bal later on I can get a Rebecca Minkoff MAB to substitute for a plain black bag.

Thoughts? Sorry for the rambling and if I make no sense lol

ETA: Reminder about selling/buying/trading is not permitted on tPF

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I knew I'd get replies such as these and I appreciate your honesty!

I love Bal I really do but I've seem some of the really spot on fakes which is disheartening and has made me lose a little love for the brand that and how fragile they are oh and Ive come to realize I like structured bags better?:shrugs:

I can see where you are coming from. I'm getting disillusioned with premium designer bags. I am not sure they are worth the price most of the time and I find I am more drawn to smaller, more independent designers.

However, having seen the Alexander Wang in real life, I have to say I am not a fan of that bag at all. It is heavy and cumbersome to use and the leather isn't nearly as great as I've been led to believe. But, I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me.

I don't consider black Balenciagas to be delicate at all. The colors can be problematic sometimes, but the leather is very hardy despite how soft and thin it feels. But, if you are bored with it, maybe you can sell it and replace it later if you miss it.

You might want to check out the Boyy Slash and Deadly Ponies for other black bag options that are cheaper than Balenciaga but with much nicer leather than either Wang or Minkoff.

I think AW & RM have super leathers & seem very hearty. I've been looking at Bals but IRL was disappointed with the leather thickness. I know there's lots of variation so I'm just waiting for the right one. Sounds like you are just a little bored with your bag now. My advice is not to do anything rash.

Yes, girls boredom. I also regret not getting a taupe or other color Bal rather than just black :/ or giant or rose gold hardware...but I'm not willing to pay $400 more for those bells & whistles.

The giant rose gold hardware on Balenciaga is so gorgeous and worth the extra cost (and I'm kind of a scrooge when it comes to paying full retail for bags). I have one in anthracite - it was by far the most I'd ever spent on a single bag. But, I don't regret it. I love it to bits. Maybe you can sell your plain hardware one and start saving towards a used city with giant hardware?

The giant rose gold hardware on Balenciaga is so gorgeous and worth the extra cost (and I'm kind of a scrooge when it comes to paying full retail for bags). I have one in anthracite - it was by far the most I'd ever spent on a single bag. But, I don't regret it. I love it to bits. Maybe you can sell your plain hardware one and start saving towards a used city with giant hardware?

True I could do this good idea and as others suggested I won't make any rash decisions!

I would keep the Bal City for now because it seems like you're just bored with it; selling it might be a regret. Maybe switch into another bag for the time being? Or, you could get a RM mab. Those aren't terribly expensive, and I love RM's leathers.

The Rocco is pretty heavy unfortunately....
It's the reason why I wouldn't buy it.
When you are used to wearing Bal bags you find it difficult to carry more than lbs3.......