Food Sell by date has passed....

serafina

Aug 15, 2009
I bought tilapia and salmon last week with a dec 14 sell by date. Never got around to making it and its still in my freezer. Seeing as how its almost a week past the date, would it be unwise to cook it tomorrow? Should I really just toss it?

It doesn't look strange.... haven't smelled it yet as its still in its packaging...

piglett

live. love. life.
Jul 22, 2011
Australia
i, personally as a person am very sensitive in regards to use by dates and i would usually toss it out...

however it really depends on maybe you could unfreeze it and see if it seems okay and is slimy etc....

however also because it is seafood the best option might be just to toss it.

:smile:

needloub

Shoe & Food Lover
O.G.
Jan 5, 2009
NJ
www.drgoodfood.com
TBH, I have seafood in my freezer since the date of purchase. If you defrost it in your fridge and cook the item on the same day, I don't think you should have a problem. I always thought you shouldn't defrost seafood and place it back in the freezer...

stephc005

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
MD
it should be ok since it's frozen and "only" a week past the sell by date. besides, those dates are on the conservative side IMO, and if the food is stored properly, it can usually last longer and taste just fine.

also, isn't a lot of seafood already frozen and then thawed at the grocery store to sell? i know i've seen it all the time with salmon, shrimp, filleted fish, etc.

Coco Belle

spreading love!
Jul 14, 2009
If it is in your freezer, it will be fine.
This.

Sell-by/use-by dates are based on how long you can keep something refrigerated before it becomes unsanitary.

Freezing preserves food pretty much forever, though over a period of time, the food's texture will degrade, which is why most people tend to chuck things out after 3-6 months in the freezer.

From the U.S. Dept of Food Safety:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp
Freezer Storage Time
Because freezing keeps food safe almost indefinitely, recommended storage times are for quality only.