Selena Gomez and Coach - Thoughts?

anthrosphere

Hiya!
Apr 16, 2012
Not a fan of her. I still like Coach but I'll be avoiding her so-called "line." I don't trust celebrities with no "design" experience.

Teagaggle

Sep 29, 2014
I don't follow either. That said, she's shown growth & maturity of late. We'll see!

MonsieurMode

Apr 27, 2016
I strongly dislike this.

First of all, Coach is still trying to turn its profits around. $10m seems like a poor financial investment for a lackluster celebrity face. They could have gotten someone a little newer for a lot less. Even someone older! Winona Ryder would have been a great idea. She's got the attitude and the look that inspires Vevers. Amy Adams or Rooney Mara could have pulled off the look and appealed to younger and older consumers.

ALSO, Nicolas Ghesquiere from Vuitton LOVES Selena. She's been featured in several campaigns for them. It seems like using her so soon would confuse consumers.

And finally, the idea of a whole celebrity-designed line seems too risky. I'd say that I'm fairly educated what's happening in pop culture, and I couldn't tell you what Selena Gomez has been up to in the past 2 years, truly. I'd never be enticed by a line of hers.

Hate to say it, but Coach would be making a better investment with a Kardashian.

Galaxygrrl

O.G.
Nov 13, 2010
We are not the target market for the Seiena line. Is anyone her following her on Instagram. She will be a brand ambassador, designed to introduce a whole new generation to Coach. Think Mary Kay and Ashley.

I assume her line will be like the Poppy line, but we will see. The 1941 line is aimed at us and well, they got my number right with that one.

Reactions: fabuleux

alansgail

Feb 15, 2014
'over the rainbow'
Wow, I feel for any person at her young age that has to go through re-hab for anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. Clearly things are a bit "out of whack" for her personally.
Maybe this will be what she needs to step back from performing (if she indeed does) and helps to work on Coach design. I can see how that would be helpful for her and hope it works out.

I for one look forward to see what she designs!

sunsh1ne

Jan 10, 2015
We are not the target market for the Seiena line. Is anyone her following her on Instagram. She will be a brand ambassador, designed to introduce a whole new generation to Coach. Think Mary Kay and Ashley.

I assume her line will be like the Poppy line, but we will see. The 1941 line is aimed at us and well, they got my number right with that one.
I agree. A lot has been written about the luxury market not doing well with millennials. Selena has a huge social media following so I assume she's seen as a millennial "taste maker". Coach is going to try to bank off of that following.

K.E.W.

Jun 21, 2016
I don't follow her so I reserve judgment until I see the actual line.
I also don't follow her so I'll reserve judgment till I see her designs. Other than being Justin Timberlake's girlfriend for a while, I don't even know what she's known for, lol.

kells1983

FEAR DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO.
O.G.
Dec 1, 2008
I also don't follow her so I'll reserve judgment till I see her designs. Other than being Justin Timberlake's girlfriend for a while, I don't even know what she's known for, lol.
I think she was Justin Bieber's girlfriend, LOL.
Not that I know Bieber much (or this Selena person), but I know Timberlake because he's more my age group(ish) and I really don't think he dated her. Or I hope not...

My thoughts generally are in agreement with most here, that they're trying to appeal to a younger crowd. If anything looks all Poppy-ish again, I wouldn't go for it, but I guess you never know what someone will do!

Galaxygrrl

O.G.
Nov 13, 2010
I know nothing about her, but I did watch her car pool Karaoke and I really, really liked her. And thought she was pretty awesome.

And really, what Millennial is going to spend $500 on a bag? I did not spend money like that until my 40's.

Reactions: carterazo

K.E.W.

Jun 21, 2016
I think she was Justin Bieber's girlfriend, LOL.
Not that I know Bieber much (or this Selena person), but I know Timberlake because he's more my age group(ish) and I really don't think he dated her. Or I hope not...

My thoughts generally are in agreement with most here, that they're trying to appeal to a younger crowd. If anything looks all Poppy-ish again, I wouldn't go for it, but I guess you never know what someone will do!

Omg, I MEANT to say Justin Bieber, not Timberlake! I DO know the difference, haha...

Actually, even though the Poppy items were right before I joined Coach, I love some of the whimsical pieces they made.

Chihua5

Jan 25, 2016
She was Bieber's girlfriend at one time, she also starred in a successful Disney series (Wizards of Waverly Place). She grew up in the lime light and was criticized as celebrities are. Yes, she had issues dealing from depression to anxiety attacks (she suffers from the disease Lupus). She took herself out of the limelight to get herself healthy and mentally strong.

I applaud Coach for the partnership, Selena is a great model for today's youth. It is way harder to grow up in our modern times with all the judgement our youth take via social media. Look up her acceptance speech at the 2016 American Music Awards for favorite pop/rock female artist---as a female and mother of two daughters, this is a powerful speech.

And for the record, she is the most popular followed celebrity on Instagram for the last two years. This could be why Coach thinks $10 million is a good investment.

As many have pointed out, let's wait and see what designs come out. She's not designing ALL of COACH, just a line. There's some of us who love the 1941 line, some that don't, there's something for everybody out there!