Seizures/epilepsy?

dusty paws

O.G.
Sep 20, 2006
Hi all - I thought that this would be a great place to turn to just to see if anyone else has experience with this. One of my pet chinchillas was unfortunately passed down the gene of seizures and has them infrequently. He had a bad one last weekend - the first I've seen in about a year. I know that seizures in small animals are a lot different than seizures in larger pets (cats, dogs) but I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this before?

Usually when he's having an episode I just take him out of his cage and pet him on my lap slowly and talk to him. I then keep him in the smaller cage so he can't jump around/hurt himself if he suffers another one. I've contacted vets about this but unfortunately no one is really schooled about seizures in chinchillas. It just breaks my heart to see him that way.

If anyone has any advice - I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

:sad: I don't know anything about seizures in small animals. Have you tried looking for a chinchilla user group/forum? Usually there are people that know exactly what to do in that situation.

Is there an exotic animal vet near you? Most emergency centers have them. I would call around and get a vet's advice. Poor little guy. I would love to see a picture. They are really beautiful.