Seeking handbag help for a newbie please

May 7, 2016
Good evening

I am fairly new to the handbag life and would really appreciate your wise advice and suggestions please. I’ve read through lots of threads on here but feel the best thing is probably to start my own...so here goes!

I’m looking for a two bags to complete my minimal collection (for now...!)

Firstly, a practical black grained leather handbag for everyday use (work to weekends) ideally with versatile handheld and shoulder/ crossbody straps. I’m 5’4” and of small build. I work in a smart casual office and need something with a good closure for security. I carry a wallet, phone, keys, agenda, kindle, chargers, compact umbrella, little toiletry bag and water bottle. Looking for something easy to wear on my train journey commute, hard-wearing and relatively timeless in style. Contemplating a bag from Givenchy or Celine as wanting something of good quality but Chanel, Hermes etc. are out of my price range.

Secondly, I would like a smaller neat crossbody bag for evenings/ weekends. Again, something hard-wearing, good quality and classic. Preferably silver hardware or with understated gold for the right bag!

To give some idea of what I have (I own very few bags) -
Gucci soho disco in rose beige
Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM in DE
Mulberry Bayswater in Grey

I would be so grateful for your suggestions please!

Thank you ever so much!!

Reactions: Nibb
I have a couple of friends with Givenchy Pandora bags, they love them. The Row makes beautiful bags, they usually have a handheld with detachable crossbody strap, Balenciaga has gorgeous bags, Tods is another brand that has some luscious functional bags. Have fun and please post a picture of your new treasures.

Reactions: 9371260
Two suggestions for you:
1) celine small cabas phantom tote ( no zipper but ties to cinch the bag) it is chic, timeless and oh so elegant; I would choose this over the dior book tote and Chanel deauville any day!
2) ysl toy or small size loulou. Lots of combinations and the ghw is muted and understated on some of these bags. both Sizes can be worn day to night. you can replace the toy size‘s leather strap with a chain strap and it becomes a lovely evening bag. since You have the Gucci soho which is a more casual crossbody, I think this flap bag style would complement your collection beautifully.

Two suggestions for you:
1) celine small cabas phantom tote ( no zipper but ties to cinch the bag) it is chic, timeless and oh so elegant; I would choose this over the dior book tote and Chanel deauville any day!
2) ysl toy or small size loulou. Lots of combinations and the ghw is muted and understated on some of these bags. both Sizes can be worn day to night. you can replace the toy size‘s leather strap with a chain strap and it becomes a lovely evening bag. since You have the Gucci soho which is a more casual crossbody, I think this flap bag style would complement your collection beautifully.
I have the small Phantom, it's a great bag, I'm looking to get a second one.

Two suggestions for you:

Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide your advice.

I love the look of the Celine tote, it is very elegant! I was previously looking at the Givenchy Antigona for a different style to my Neverfull, but not sure if this might be too ‘chunky’ or whether the strap might be cumbersome to use - any thoughts please?

YSL have some lovely smaller bags. I like the look of the toy Lou Lou but worry about the longevity of the leather. What do you think of the small Kate please?

Thanks again!

For the first workday bag, I think there aren’t a whole lot of options since you carry some larger sized items such as agenda, umbrella and water bottle. Crossbodies are probably out of the question since they’re usually smaller. You already have a Neverfull so maybe a satchel style would be the best. I have a Fendi Peekaboo that I bought preloved and it’s a good bag for work. The only complaint is that it’s a bit heavy because it has that divider in the middle that adds to weight. I did hear that Celine bags can get heavy as well, so might be something to take into consideration since you take public transportation. My other suggestion would be the Loewe puzzle bag, I’ve been lusting after one as I’ve heard so many great things about it, seems like a fun bag to wear during the weekend too.

As for your second bag - I think you can have fun with this one! I rotate between Chanel WOC, Gucci soho disco, and Loewe Gate bag. I use the soho disco the most but you already have that bag :smile:. Perhaps look into the Chanel WOC? I like it’s versatility to be converted into a clutch but it doesn’t hold much. Another one that I love is the LV pochette Métis in black empreinte leather. It’s a bit more understated than the canvas monogram version for only a few hundred more. Holds a good amount for weekend errands, and durable from my experience. It’s not silver hardware but the crossbody makes it feel casual still.

5 years ago, I was a newbie. I scoured these boards as I was going to have “one” name brand purse. My budget was $1000 which was a lot for me and still is. After hunting like a madwoman, I stumbled into a new thread, Massaccesi. Wow what a group of fans. Way too many purses later, I will say that I know more about true quality than I ever did. You can pick your style leather, lining, strap drop, and the atelier will work with you every step of the way. Yes true customer bespoke. I’ve never spent more than $500. I feel like have found the right niche for me. Check out our thread.. if You have questions, you’ll get an answer. Marco, the owner will also help you every step of the way. http://www.marcomassaccesi.it/

Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide your advice.

I love the look of the Celine tote, it is very elegant! I was previously looking at the Givenchy Antigona for a different style to my Neverfull, but not sure if this might be too ‘chunky’ or whether the strap might be cumbersome to use - any thoughts please?

YSL have some lovely smaller bags. I like the look of the toy Lou Lou but worry about the longevity of the leather. What do you think of the small Kate please?

Thanks again!

I have had the toy Loulou for about a year and a half. It is one of my most used bags and the leather has held up very well. I would say I only see very minimal signs of wear on the bag. I would go so far as to say it has been one of my bags that has had the best wear and tear.

Thank you all so much for your advice and guidance. I purchased a beautiful Saint Laurent Envelope Flap bag on Monday with silver hardware. Hoping it will work well day to night and love that it can go from crossbody to shoulder with ease!

Still on the hunt for a work bag and am currently considering a LV Neo-Noe and using a separate simple nylon laptop bag; or one leather tote bag. Not rushing back to the office any time soon so I can continue to ponder over this purchase!

In the meantime, I’ve ordered a simple LV cardholder and am looking at a toiletry 15 or cosmetic pouch to act as a catch all. I think LV’s canvas items are good for this? Thanks again

Hello to all.

I am sorry to be piggybacking this thread, however I do not have privileges to open a new thread.

I want to buy a purse wallet for my wife for Christmas. It should be big enough to fit a 6.1" smartphone as well as some money, cards, lip balm, tissues and keys.

I am guessing the color will have to be preferably black so I don't mess things up (again). A wrist strap is a must.

The budget is around 700-800 USD.

I checked a few from Prada, Fendi and YSL, however the more I read on the forums, the more I see they have issues with their leather.

Can you recommend a brand that offers good quality for around that price?

I have never had any problems with leather from either YSL or Fendi, and I have several of their bags. I have had issues with Prada...don't think their quality is super consistent. I don't think Fendi offers any leather wristlets/WOCs in that price range so they are out. I think their least expensive is around $900. The YSL monogram clutch with wristlet is in that price range and should be able to fit that size phone. That said, is your wife a fan of luxury bags? Has she asked for a bag for Christmas? You said you 'messed up' before. What do you mean by that?

I meant that I messed up with other presents as they were not her style. She has a few luxury items and has not asked for this specifically, but her current wallet is feeling his age and since it's the first Christmas we will celebrate as a married couple I wanted something special.

In the end, I ended up ordering Chloe's alphabet long wallet. I read they are great value and quality for the price.

Hope she likes it.