Seeking Advise: A BBK Dilemma

dreambag7767

Orange/the new black
O.G.
Dec 20, 2008
Here's the long and the short of my dilemma. I have lusted after a BBK 35 for what seems like eternity. My wonderful DH bought me one (pre-loved) for Christmas two years ago. I'm in love!! She is my HG and the most beautiful bag I've ever seen. Fast forward to today... I feel paralyzed by this bag! I've used it maybe a handful of times. Mostly because she was in pristine condition and I'm utterly afraid to damage her. I have a casual lifestyle but have many occasions to use this bag, nevertheless I always come up with an excuse not to bring it out. Can anyone relate?? And if so how do I bust through this feeling and just enjoy the bag?

Attachments

• BBK35.JPG
    BBK35.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 648
What a beautiful kelly! I have a black box sellier, so I understand your hesitation, but the bag was created to be carried and loved. While it may acquire a scratch or scuff here or there, that is to be expected. The first one is the hardest, but over time, they attest to the life of the bag.

A decorator told me about some clients who never used their beautifully decorated living room. After years of being a room to view, not use, the client decided to enjoy the living room. Unfortunately, the springs in the upholstered furniture had become so stiff from lack of use that they were sprung, and the silk upholstery had dried to the point of splitting. The clients had been too cautious, and the pieces "died" from lack of use. Something similar happened to a car of mine, a convertible that I kept for special occasions. Those occasions were so infrequent that the car was rarely started. Someone pointed out to me that cars need to be driven- the gas, oil, fluids, etc. need to move through the various parts and hoses to keep them from drying out. I ended up spending quite a bit to flush the system and replace hoses, etc. all from lack of use. My car experience taught me a valuable lesson: cars, furniture, bags- they are all created with a purpose and that purpose is what gives them life. It is far better for your kelly to develop a scratch or two while being carried and loved, than to sit in a closet becoming stiff and dry, so my advice is to respect your beautiful kelly but let her serve her purpose. You will find that your kelly will become truly yours, and that will make her the best kelly of all!

Here's the long and the short of my dilemma. I have lusted after a BBK 35 for what seems like eternity. My wonderful DH bought me one (pre-loved) for Christmas two years ago. I'm in love!! She is my HG and the most beautiful bag I've ever seen. Fast forward to today... I feel paralyzed by this bag! I've used it maybe a handful of times. Mostly because she was in pristine condition and I'm utterly afraid to damage her. I have a casual lifestyle but have many occasions to use this bag, nevertheless I always come up with an excuse not to bring it out. Can anyone relate?? And if so how do I bust through this feeling and just enjoy the bag?
She is beautiful. I would say take her out and enjoy as much as you can...after you get that first tiny scratch then you are totally free emotionally.... BBK should be well loved and shows a bit history on it.

I am little OCD on many things, just had my first HW scratch on my brand new K28 and I am like.. Oh yay! I am free to use my new bab anyway I want now (of course I will still try be careful as much but won't kill myself if I get another one...:P).

Congrats, your vintage BBK [emoji173] is a unicorn and such a classic, that I would love to have in my collection. When I got my first B and barenia bag I was very careful and hence didn't use it so much. Now my collection has expanded and although I'm still careful my philosophy is, I'm looking forward aging gracefully with my bags, including my barenia B. How do you enjoy having your treasure if not by using it? The BBK wouldn't be my everyday bag but I would definitely carry it regulary. Stylewise and size makes it work with a lot of outfits!

Reactions: GNIPPOHS
Your bag is gorgeous! I understand how you feel because in the past I've always saved things too - and then I end up almost hating those items I've saved because I resent that I won't even let myself enjoy them.

Is it possible for you to get another bag you're equally in love with or that's equally rare and use each half and half the time for important occasions? That might make you feel less focused on your one most special bag.

What a beautiful kelly! I have a black box sellier, so I understand your hesitation, but the bag was created to be carried and loved. While it may acquire a scratch or scuff here or there, that is to be expected. The first one is the hardest, but over time, they attest to the life of the bag.

A decorator told me about some clients who never used their beautifully decorated living room. After years of being a room to view, not use, the client decided to enjoy the living room. Unfortunately, the springs in the upholstered furniture had become so stiff from lack of use that they were sprung, and the silk upholstery had dried to the point of splitting. The clients had been too cautious, and the pieces "died" from lack of use. Something similar happened to a car of mine, a convertible that I kept for special occasions. Those occasions were so infrequent that the car was rarely started. Someone pointed out to me that cars need to be driven- the gas, oil, fluids, etc. need to move through the various parts and hoses to keep them from drying out. I ended up spending quite a bit to flush the system and replace hoses, etc. all from lack of use. My car experience taught me a valuable lesson: cars, furniture, bags- they are all created with a purpose and that purpose is what gives them life. It is far better for your kelly to develop a scratch or two while being carried and loved, than to sit in a closet becoming stiff and dry, so my advice is to respect your beautiful kelly but let her serve her purpose. You will find that your kelly will become truly yours, and that will make her the best kelly of all!

Monceau Thanks so much for your story. It is very relatable! I just have to take a deep breath and take her out. I have heard that box becomes more beautiful with use. So I will definitely put forth the effort!

She is beautiful. I would say take her out and enjoy as much as you can...after you get that first tiny scratch then you are totally free emotionally.... BBK should be well loved and shows a bit history on it.

I am little OCD on many things, just had my first HW scratch on my brand new K28 and I am like.. Oh yay! I am free to use my new bab anyway I want now (of course I will still try be careful as much but won't kill myself if I get another one...:P).

OCD now that's another story! Me too! This kelly will likely be my one and only so creating history with her is a nice thought. Eventually passing it on to one of my daughters. I would like them to remember how much I loved and USED this bag.

Your bag is gorgeous! I understand how you feel because in the past I've always saved things too - and then I end up almost hating those items I've saved because I resent that I won't even let myself enjoy them.

Is it possible for you to get another bag you're equally in love with or that's equally rare and use each half and half the time for important occasions? That might make you feel less focused on your one most special bag.
I do have my Evie that is my everyday bag which I adore. But will try to rotate in the BBK so she gets some of the spotlight too lol.

Congrats, your vintage BBK [emoji173] is a unicorn and such a classic, that I would love to have in my collection. When I got my first B and barenia bag I was very careful and hence didn't use it so much. Now my collection has expanded and although I'm still careful my philosophy is, I'm looking forward aging gracefully with my bags, including my barenia B. How do you enjoy having your treasure if not by using it? The BBK wouldn't be my everyday bag but I would definitely carry it regulary. Stylewise and size makes it work with a lot of outfits!

Thank you! And yes I want to make this bag part of my signature!

Actually I have the same reservation about my new BBB... -_- I'm afraid of that making that first scratch, but I think at the end of the day, we just have to enjoy the bag! The more you use her, the more beautiful she becomes I think. I have a pre-loved BBK, and I love all her scratches and scars because it makes her unique. :smile:

I have a BBK as well, I used to baby it, and I have to say every time I take it out, it does seem to get scratched, the more careful I am the worse it seems to be, fingernails are especially bad, and mine are short! Anyway, I gave up and I just use it and love it, I figured I'll send it to the spa one of these summers when I don't use it as much as other times of year. Just use it and love it!

Don't be afraid to bring that beauty out. The way I see it, every little scuff or scratch that might happen is a reminder of a good time.

Actually I have the same reservation about my new BBB... -_- I'm afraid of that making that first scratch, but I think at the end of the day, we just have to enjoy the bag! The more you use her, the more beautiful she becomes I think. I have a pre-loved BBK, and I love all her scratches and scars because it makes her unique. :smile:

Acquire some care products and use them to build up some rain protection so that you get used to handling the bag rather than just admiring it. You will get the feel of why Box is so highly regarded and easy it is to care for.
This could help give you the confidence to use it

I have a BBK as well, I used to baby it, and I have to say every time I take it out, it does seem to get scratched, the more careful I am the worse it seems to be, fingernails are especially bad, and mine are short! Anyway, I gave up and I just use it and love it, I figured I'll send it to the spa one of these summers when I don't use it as much as other times of year. Just use it and love it!

Thanks for all your kinds words and advice ladies. I totally agree that getting some good products to protect from rain and preserve the leather will put my mind at ease.

Your BBK is divine!

I decided that when I went down the orange slippery slope that I will USE my bags and enjoy them. I'm careful about them near food, drinks and water but don't worry too much about little things. I want them to have a life and tell the story of how they were loved.

Relax and enjoy using your beauty!