Security Systems- Worth it?

Sep 14, 2007
Hi All,

Does anyone have a security system and do you think they're worth it? I finally got my beach house and I have been wondering about different security systems, what works and what doesn't and around how much they cost (per month and for the system).
I've read about apps that you can buy for an Ipad (I don't have an ipad) where you can turn on the lights, change your house temp, etc through the grid system.
I'm wondering whether it's better to put up cameras or to just get a security system. What are your thoughts?

Check with the local Law Enforcement agency and see what their policy is. Some charge annual permit fees. Some don't respond on residential alarms. Some will only respond if they aren't busy on other things (alarms being the very lowest priority). Some will only respond if the resident or keyholder can meet them there which would exclude vacation homes.

Remote capabilities are fine for controlling appliances and heat. Cameras would be good if you can view them remotely; you could then call the LE agency and tell them if you can see anything happening.

Check with the local Law Enforcement agency and see what their policy is. Some charge annual permit fees. Some don't respond on residential alarms. Some will only respond if they aren't busy on other things (alarms being the very lowest priority). Some will only respond if the resident or keyholder can meet them there which would exclude vacation homes.

Remote capabilities are fine for controlling appliances and heat. Cameras would be good if you can view them remotely; you could then call the LE agency and tell them if you can see anything happening.

This. Research the company that you will sign up with.

My brother is with one company and I truly believe it is a waste of money. I am his emergency contact. Several times this past year, I have received calls from the company 30 min-1hr AFTER the first alarm asking me if I don't mind checking on the residence for a possible intrusion. WTH? Isn't it their job to check?

Dont forget that many insurance companies offer a discount on the theft policy if the system is hooked up to law enforcement through Central Station.

That being said, Law Enforcement time is usually dismal, and with kids in the house (if you have any)n there is always a headache of someone opening up a window they werent supposed to and scaring the heck out of every one else.

We only turn ours on when everyone is asleep (I am the last to bed and the first awake) or when we go away for the weekend. It does offer some sort of peace of mind.

This is good advice. You have to register your alarm with our local LE agency within 14 days of installing it, and if you do not register it they start charging fines for each alarm they respond to. Additionally, they have a false alarm ordinance where they keep a record of all of the false alarms at your residence, and each false alarm is recorded as a separate incidence. For the first one you get a warning, and each one after that you are given a fine. The false alarms 2-5 is up to the officer's discretion what the fine is and if you make it to a 6th false alarm in a calendar year (false alarms must be problem in our area if they went to this much trouble to spell out the consesquences, LOL...) - they fine you up to $500 per incident.

So research companies in your area, and you might also see what ordinances your local sheriff's office has/if they seem to have problems with any certain company in particular.

Our new home - 15 years ago - came with a whole house security system. Our homeowners insurance company took 15% off our premium because of it. Everyone has one here in our suburban community. And, yes, it is registered with the local police.
We have what used to be Brinks. I think it is Broadfield now.

I would say get one. SO is in the security business and says that 80% of people don't get an alarm until they've been robbed. Even if it takes the police 5 minutes to get to your house once its been broken into, the alarm itself is enough to usually scare the burgulars and alert your neighbors.

5 Minutes? You live next to a donut shop? :P

Most places, you'll be lucky to get a unit within 45 minutes, maybe longer. Seriously though, it takes about 5-10 minutes from entry and alarm activation for a car to even be notified. Alarm signals Monitoring Center who looks up local LE agency and makes call, maybe they get put on hold, maybe not. Information is relayed to call taker who then enters it into dispatch system (and is prioritized with other calls like accidents and other active crimes and requests for service) where radio operator then relays to road units.

Not saying don't get one. If it makes you feel better fine and they can be a deterrent if signs are posted. They will generally not stop someone from entering though. Most of them know the response times and know they have 15 minutes or so at least to grab and run.

5 Minutes? You live next to a donut shop?

LOL!

I'm interested in this subject because I'm going to be installing a security system in the near future, mostly to protect the house when we're not home.

A few years ago I belonged to a small church that was burglarized several times within a short period of time (less than a year.) After the first couple of incidents the church board seriously discussed burglar alarms, but opinions were all over the place regarding the deterrent value and the expense with monitoring and all, and they couldn't all agree on it. Eventually with the continued break-ins the church board had no choice but to agree to install a burglar alarm system. After it was installed the alarm went off a couple of times, but they never took anything because the thief was scared off with the alarm.

So I think they do work, and are worth the money, though it may take some getting used to at first.

Last edited:
We had what used to be Brinks, now it is Broadfield. I think it was no cost installation and something like $35/month. We did have to pay extra to install a couple of glass break monitors, but we put those in after maybe a year of having the system in. So far it hasn't prevented any burglaries and the only times it has gone off have been when we came home and I didn't get to the keypad quickly enough. :lol:

On the other hand, our neighborhood has had a large rash of break-ins and burglaries over the past 6 months, which has me a little worried. Several of the homes had alarm systems, and the burglars disabled them by cutting the outside wires. If I were putting in a new system, I'd go wireless, no question.

In my city, you must also register your alarm and pay for a city permit, which I want to say is around $50/year. If you don't do that, the city will not respond to your alarm. Even with the permit, I think you're allowed maybe 2 false alarm calls before they start fining you.

This is in Canada, but my grandparents have a security system and they activate it every time they leave the house, and my Granny has a fob on her headboard at night so if anyone breaks in, she can just press it and it sets off the alarm. I don't understand how it can take up to an hour to get a response like some people have said. I remember when we were visiting my grandparents a couple years ago, my mom walked into the kitchen before my granny had disabled the alarm. Well the phone rang not 10 seconds later with someone from the alarm company asking if everything was OK and getting the password from my granny to let him know that it was really the homeowners. They are very fast to respond to anything.

ADT in my house. Absolutely love it.. and deem it very necessary. I wouldn't want to live in a house/apartment/whatever without some sort of security system.
The system in our house is simple.. all doors have sensors, garage doors, every window, and even our attic door.

My parents business also has ADT with motion detectors, cameras and such (since it is our family business.. gotta make sure it's nice and safe!).

Both of our security systems are controlled by those keypads. For our house we have three keypads where one is at the front entrance, laundry room and one in the master bedroom.. and for the business only one in the office.

Last edited: