Secondhand Bargains....let's see your cheap treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by the Goodwill shop yesterday to look for a velvet jacket for my 9 yr old for a school project (he is doing a project on Mozart and has to dress in costume.) I came across a long, navy blue, single breasted Burberry Trench in pristine condition for $100. It looked like it had never been worn. The only problem is the belts around the sleeves were missing. I will try to contact Burberry to see if they can be replaced or if not I'll cut off the belt loops. This was my first time shopping at Goodwill but not my last!

Burberry might be able to help. When my mom bought a coat with metal toggles, the SA told her that a woman's dog managed to EAT one! Burberry replaced it for her!

Great deal!

i'm an avid thrifter. my best finds ever were 2 brand new pairs of manolo blahniks, boughtat at the same time at the same thrift store. one was brown ($10) and the other was black ($20). they were in the uber-classic Carolyne style, which never goes on sale. retails for $575.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod16960170&ecid=NMCIGoogleBaseFeed&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=X3753

although both were in my size, I sold both pairs on ebay and used the $ to buy my 1st LV purse.

I once bought a Etienne Aigner leather bag at a flea market for just 4 euros(approx 6$), I couldnt believe it first and asked if the lady ment 40 euros, the shoulder strap just had to be fixed a bit with super glue...now no one believes me because a bag like that is usually sold for around 100 euros (approx 150$) on ebay here:smile:

I buy a lot of vintage (1930s-1950s) clothing, so I constantly find myself in thrift stores, flea markets, estate sales, and antique shops. I've scored some great deals: a pair of Coach wedges - unworn and still in the box - for $15, a pair of Donald Pliner boots (again unworn & in the box) for $7, Prada sandals for $3. My husband has found Burberry coats, cashmere scarves... we're both spoiled by the low prices! I'm embarassed to admit how many pieces of Le Creuset cookware we own - almost all purchased thrift for under $10 each piece. Most of our home is furnished with antiques, so buying secondhand comes naturally.

Not clothing, but my best find was the day I found a Heywood Wakefield cocktail table for $20 at a garage sale. Actually, to his credit, my husband spotted it first and I had to confirm it. The seller had no idea what they had and just wanted to get rid of it. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough! :lol:

Last edited:
WOW! I would have be ready to grab and run too!

LOL you have no idea! It was a Saturday AM and my husband had gone out to run some errands. He stopped at the sale, saw the table, and came home and told me he "thought it might be HeyWake." I was all, "Yea right" and assumed it was some plasticky Ikea junk and he just didn't know any better. We went out to do some other shopping, 4 or 5 hours go by, and we happened to be passing by the street where the sale is and decide to run back by to take a look. I see the table still sitting in the yard and I practically jump out of the still-moving car. Flip it over, yep, all good. I asked the seller how much, thinking "SURELY they've figured out this is worth more than $20" and the guy says, "Well, we were asking $25 but we'll take $20 just to get it out of here." :nuts: I had my wallet out so fast I'm pretty sure it left skid marks inside my purse.

I guess this goes to show I should give my husband more credit!

i'm an avid thrifter. my best finds ever were 2 brand new pairs of manolo blahniks, boughtat at the same time at the same thrift store. one was brown ($10) and the other was black ($20). they were in the uber-classic Carolyne style, which never goes on sale. retails for $575.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...CIGoogleBaseFeed&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=X3753

although both were in my size, I sold both pairs on ebay and used the $ to buy my 1st LV purse.
That's fantastic!!!
I'm so happy for you.:biggrin:

Not clothing, but my best find was the day I found a Heywood Wakefield cocktail table for $20 at a garage sale. Actually, to his credit, my husband spotted it first and I had to confirm it. The seller had no idea what they had and just wanted to get rid of it. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough! :lol:

Oh my god! I love Heywood Wakefield furniture! My grandma gave us her rather abused end table, but someday we'll refinish it. It just needs a little sanding and some varnish. Buying secondhand furniture is the way to go. I got my turn-of-the-century bed frame (solid wood and scrollwork at the top) for $100. I have a very nice mirror in a wood frame with more fancy woodwork at the top that cost only $15. It's in great condition too. My favorite one is my five-light chandelier. At $75 it wasn't THE cheapest lighting solution out there, but it's certainly pretty darn cheap! My dad and I rewired it as a summer project and my mom and I found some crystal drops that matched the other ones.

I WISH I'd been more open to wearing gently used clothes when I was younger... think of all the darn money I could have saved on shoes when I was going through growth spurts!

I'm an EBAY addict!! (my deals from the past 3 weeks)
- snakeskin Ballerinas - 10 pounds! (worn ONCE!!)
- leather Riding boots - 22 pounds
- Zara Black leather biker jacket - 20 pounds

Status
Not open for further replies.