Second watch, which should I get?

Mairaculi

Sep 9, 2020
I own one watch. It's a feminine, dainty and very minimalist Bering watch (silver with black leather strap). I got it 10 years ago in my first year of Uni and it still looks impeccable despite wearing it to work everyday (had to replace the strap once). I've wanted a second watch for quite some time now, and since I'm sold on Bering's quality and design, I thought of getting one with a slightly bigger casing with a metal strap in midnight blue (see pictures for both watches).
But befiore I decide I want to take a look at other brands, too! Do you have any suggestions for me? I value quality and modern but timeless design over a status symbol brand. It should look interesting, stylish and high quality but also understated. I'm open to all colors/metals/sizes (just no black leather - silver casing combo, have that and I can't wear really large watches because I have small wrists). It should be wearable both for day/office and evening. Thanks in advance! IMG_20200913_223623.png IMG_20200913_223603.png

Reactions: ElenaAlex

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
You watch is gorgeous! I find it’s helpful to google watches plus price point to give you a range of what is out there. Sometimes the best ones are men’s styles, and I know you mentioned small wrists, but some are quite streamlined. . .

popular price ranges include: 200 usd; 500 usd; and up.

some style ideas might be steel bracelet. Or a different direction gold tone with brown strap. . .

some brands are Nokia, tisso, seiko, citizen, Hamilton

sometimes I find that womens fashion watches are not minimal, and are over embellished but thta is JMO.

have fun looking and don’t forget to update this thread with pics of what you are thinking of or decide
:biggrin:

Reactions: Mairaculi

Christofle

O.G.
Apr 21, 2011
Montreal
Citizen is one of the largest manufacturers of watches and they have a proven solar “eco-drive” model, which means you don’t have to bother with changing batteries and the capacitor lasts about 25 to 30 years.

They come in all sorts of designs too! All prices listed are in Canadian but you can easily find the prices on the citizen website for other currencies.

Aside from then Seiko also offers a lot of bang for your buck in the affordable watch range.

ADDACD48-DEB1-46B5-B2A5-586A1A1BA9D8.jpeg

6D5791C9-E41C-4080-B97C-25FFB40C2660.jpeg

94F909E1-9BC8-4BCA-9AA3-D89E9DD7611D.jpeg

6C9C2B0A-13BC-4798-8397-28614BFF7BF0.jpeg

58D8A070-5E4A-405A-8ABA-D12354BF29FD.jpeg

Mairaculi

Sep 9, 2020
You watch is gorgeous! I find it’s helpful to google watches plus price point to give you a range of what is out there. Sometimes the best ones are men’s styles, and I know you mentioned small wrists, but some are quite streamlined. . .

popular price ranges include: 200 usd; 500 usd; and up.

some style ideas might be steel bracelet. Or a different direction gold tone with brown strap. . .

some brands are Nokia, tisso, seiko, citizen, Hamilton

sometimes I find that womens fashion watches are not minimal, and are over embellished but thta is JMO.

have fun looking and don’t forget to update this thread with pics of what you are thinking of or decide
:biggrin:
Thanks, I will! It's a good idea to look at men's watches, I sometimes like to look at very embellished watches, just not on me

Mairaculi

Sep 9, 2020
Citizen is one of the largest manufacturers of watches and they have a proven solar “eco-drive” model, which means you don’t have to bother with changing batteries and the capacitor lasts about 25 to 30 years.

They come in all sorts of designs too! All prices listed are in Canadian but you can easily find the prices on the citizen website for other currencies.

Aside from then Seiko also offers a lot of bang for your buck in the affordable watch range.

View attachment 4847153

View attachment 4847154

View attachment 4847155

View attachment 4847156

View attachment 4847157
I like these, they look great. Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at the Citizen homepage and a lot of them are easily within my price range (up to 400€ I'd say, more if I really really love the watch). I notice that I'm drawn to watches with a very minimalist face, so maybe that's why I was drawn to Bering so far.

Reactions: 880 and Christofle

ElenaAlex

Jul 16, 2020
You have a very nice watch. :smile:
I won't recommend a watch, because my taste is very different to yours, but you can look at Orient, Seiko, Citizen rather than fashion brands. They are established manufacturers and have a good quality watches.

If you got an eco-drive model, have in mind that it should be stored at a window or a place where there is enough light to keep it charged. I got mine very cheap because it was sold to me as "broken". Actually it was kept in the box and needed 10 day changing at direct sunlight so I can set the time and the date. It is a male model and not minimalistic at all, but this is my taste.

Waiting to see what you have chosen :biggrin:

Mairaculi

Sep 9, 2020
You have a very nice watch. :smile:
I won't recommend a watch, because my taste is very different to yours, but you can look at Orient, Seiko, Citizen rather than fashion brands. They are established manufacturers and have a good quality watches.

If you got an eco-drive model, have in mind that it should be stored at a window or a place where there is enough light to keep it charged. I got mine very cheap because it was sold to me as "broken". Actually it was kept in the box and needed 10 day changing at direct sunlight so I can set the time and the date. It is a male model and not minimalistic at all, but this is my taste.

Waiting to see what you have chosen :biggrin:
Thanks! So eco-drive model means you really have to wear your watch regularly for it to get enough light, I like that
I never really looked at male models because of the size, but I think a not so minimalist male watch could work for me, I only shy away from embellished feminine watches. I want a watch where I can find replacement parts many years after purchasing, so established manufacturers definitely make sense.

• Love
Reactions: 880

ElenaAlex

Jul 16, 2020
Thanks! So eco-drive model means you really have to wear your watch regularly for it to get enough light, I like that
I never really looked at male models because of the size, but I think a not so minimalist male watch could work for me, I only shy away from embellished feminine watches. I want a watch where I can find replacement parts many years after purchasing, so established manufacturers definitely make sense.
Ego-driven means it needs to be exposed to light so the battery can charge. No need to wear it. It is for automatic or kinetic models

Christofle

O.G.
Apr 21, 2011
Montreal
You can also leave it near a windowsill every so often!

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Mairaculi