Second Design Cabas Chyc vs Y Ligne Tote Bag - Same Thing?

Mar 31, 2009
I'm so confused, are these two bags the same thing?

First up, the second design Cabas Chyc -

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Saint...4294914334&eItemId=prod153070046&cmCat=search

Second up, the Y Ligne Tote Bag -

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Saint...4294914334&eItemId=prod155780476&cmCat=search

These look pretty much identical to me. The only difference I can see is in the listed dimensions, but I wouldn't be surprised if Neiman Marcus has that info wrong. Are these bags the same thing? Is the Y Ligne simply the new name for the second design Cabas Chyc under the Saint Laurent label?

TIA!

They look the same to me too. They have the stitched panels and the 2nd version's square HW. The first/original has the round HW.

I've seen the same retailer or seller have different measurements on the exact same style bag. They often don't do a good job maintaining consistency...sometimes they need a good copy editor.

The 3rd / newest version that is under the Saint Laurent Paris name is the one without any stitched panels or lining.

My SA said that some YSL stores have officially transitioned to being SLP stores and are not allowed to even sell the old version inventory. So, other boutiques that are still YSL or other retailers well off the previous version.

Thanks, and that's interesting (and ridiculous in my opinion) that the transitioned SLP stores won't sell this bag. I like it so much more than the newest SLP version. So I'm going to choose to believe that NM got it wrong, and that it is in fact the 2nd version Cabas Chyc made by YSL :smile:

On a side note, though, why is NM screwing up so royally? Cancelled orders, unavailable merchandise, wrong names - it's really frustrating.

Who knows why NM has errors? SLP cannot even get their product name straight. From Cabas Chyc to Cabas Classique, then Y Ligne and now Yline for the new Cabas without the stitched panels. If they still want to maintain 'Y', why bother changing the brand name.

I was at a Bal store a while back. One of the SA's there came from YSL and she told me that Hedi hired a new PR team. Given the confusion in the market, I wonder what that team does.

What I will be interested to see is SLP's financial statement in about half year's time.

I think you might want to ask NM, if you want to ask the demention and whether these bags are same design but different color or not. They have 24hrs chat system(^ ^)

Who knows why NM has errors? SLP cannot even get their product name straight. From Cabas Chyc to Cabas Classique, then Y Ligne and now Yline for the new Cabas without the stitched panels. If they still want to maintain 'Y', why bother changing the brand name.

I was at a Bal store a while back. One of the SA's there came from YSL and she told me that Hedi hired a new PR team. Given the confusion in the market, I wonder what that team does.

What I will be interested to see is SLP's financial statement in about half year's time.
Thanks all, and Lara, I completely agree with you. It seems like the new SLP team is making another wrong turn at every opportunity.

And re: NM, ironically, I just got a shipping notice for the 1st version mini CC from the order they cancelled. So, it looks like that CC is on the way, in which case I'll be in a position to decide between a 1st version mini CC (light seppia) and a 2nd version medium CC (gray). I'll be sure to post pictures and get your votes!

Hi all, NM didn't get it wrong. The new 2nd version of the cabas is called the Y Ligne (I own this version). The 3rd version which is the SLP one is called the Classique Y Cabas. Confusing...most definitely.

Oh, interesting, thank you! So it looks like it is very similar to the old 2nd version of the Cabas except the dimensions are slightly different? Have you had a chance to compare the old and new 2nd versions in person?

I haven't comPared the two but I find measurements in general always seem to be wrong. I just measured mine H 9.5xL 14.5xW 7.25. Maybe someone with the old version can measure theirs and chime in.

Hello, I just purchased the newest slp y ligne/cabas chyc/classique cabs (whatever the actual name is mow) from NM. Aside from the paneling that has gone away they have made a few improvements. When you lift the "Y" there's a new logo that has "Saint Laurent Paris" in gold. Also, they replaced the linen ligning of the inside the bag to leather (same calf leather for the pocket and suede leather for the rest). The whole thing is made with leather inside and out, I still don't think this is worth the $400 price increase but I thought it made it more luxurious.
Hope this helps.

You can find pictures on my blog at www.stylejorurneys.com

Js

They look the same to me too. They have the stitched panels and the 2nd version's square HW. The first/original has the round HW.

I've seen the same retailer or seller have different measurements on the exact same style bag. They often don't do a good job maintaining consistency...sometimes they need a good copy editor.

The 3rd / newest version that is under the Saint Laurent Paris name is the one without any stitched panels or lining.

My SA said that some YSL stores have officially transitioned to being SLP stores and are not allowed to even sell the old version inventory. So, other boutiques that are still YSL or other retailers well off the previous version.
I got what I am pretty sure of the 1st version today. I really wanted the stitching. They had the second with the recangular hardware and the SA at sacks said they were testing it and it was the 2nd style. Mine has oval hardware, they had it in the back. it's the original, right?

Also I am not sure about pricing on the second but I know the newest is around 2650.

It seems like cabas chyc older versions can be the east to west satchel or the cabas tote. Is there a difference?