Second Chance Offers - Now what?

rorosity

O.G.
Jun 7, 2006
Hi everyone!

Late last month, I bid on an auction for a handbag and was outbid. I was the third highest bidder. It was a handbag that I really wanted and it was also a handbag that had quite a few bids on it. Anyway, I lost and forgot about it. Yesterday morning, my E-bay message box had a message stating I had a second chance offer from that auction. It was for my highest bid. First, I messaged the seller through e-bay to make sure it was the same bag, that there was nothing wrong with it, etc. I didn't receive a reply immediately, so I just did a BIN and paid by paypal. I was worried that if I waited, it may be sold to someone else. So......I immediatey sent another message to the seller telling him/her that I had just paid and if they could let me know when it would be sent out. That was yesterday at 6am. I then sent them a e-mail message with the same info. As of today, I still have not received a response. I am starting to get worried. Another thing, I had another forum member message me telling me that she had also received a second chance offer for that bag. She also "purchased" it (later than I did), but she had not yet paid. So.......what do I do? Just wait and see if she sends the bag? I know it has only been one day, but I have never used the second chance offer option and I have no idea how it works. It makes me nervous, because I think that if I was offering a second chance, I would be checking my messages and e-mails to see if the item has sold. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Yes, it was a message in my e-bay message box. It looks legit. I am just wondering when I should expect contact from seller. I know I am probably being overly nervous, but I usually have had good communication and responses with sellers. This just came out of the blue and I impulse purchased. I want the item and am really happy about it. I just want to hear back from seller!

Did the "other pf'er" state how she also "purchased" it? I assume that she only means that she was also offered the bag, and responded YES, but did not BIN? I might have some concerns if you both think that you have bought the same bag....??
Assuming that the item DID show up in your WON column. The seller has 7 days to ship. And unfortunately, sometimes you get no response from sellers, which is most irritating. Hopefully your seller will not be so negligent.
If you would like to post the auction, maybe someone else can chime in who may have dealt w/ this particular seller b4.

It did show up in my "Won" column, so that is a good thing. The other Pf'er is not challenging the fact that I purchased it first (and my offer was for a higher price). I just thought that if I had done a BIN and I paid by paypal immediately, it shouldn't be offered to others anymore. I know that is not the way it works, but I wish it was! Mainly, my concern is just lack of communication with seller. It is odd. When I bid on the item on the first go around, I had asked questions about the item twice and received responses back. I guess I just need to be patient. I am not good at that!

You did everything correctly. Hopefully you will hear from the seller soon - I understand your paranoia. Slow or non-communicating sellers are one of my pet peeves. To me, if a stranger is sending you some money for something, the least you can do is acknowledge it. It takes about five seconds.

Well, it would concern me also if the bag is still being offered to others. THAT would concern me VERY MUCH. And if the seller was messaging & still negotiating other offers after your BIN, she was doing so thru ebay, I presume, but would be able to see that the bag had sold. If she messaged the other PFER B4 you BIN'd, then all is well.
PM me the auction if you want me to take a look but don't want to post it here. Hopefully you will hear from your seller soon!

You did everything correctly. Hopefully you will hear from the seller soon - I understand your paranoia. Slow or non-communicating sellers are one of my pet peeves. To me, if a stranger is sending you some money for something, the least you can do is acknowledge it. It takes about five seconds.

MEE TOO! WTH is UP w/ that? RUDE, just RUDE.

Well, it would concern me also if the bag is still being offered to others. THAT would concern me VERY MUCH. And if the seller was messaging & still negotiating other offers after your BIN, she was doing so thru ebay, I presume, but would be able to see that the bag had sold. If she messaged the other PFER B4 you BIN'd, then all is well.
PM me the auction if you want me to take a look but don't want to post it here. Hopefully you will hear from your seller soon!

Well I guess it depends on HOW long ago the original auction ended. There are so many non paying bidders now that it wouldn't surprise me if the seller was just going down the list of bidders, giving each a little time to see if they actually want the bag and pay for it. Wouldn't that be easier for the seller than to relist the bag and just have another non paying bidder win?

Hopefully everything works out for you! Keep us posted!

Did the "other pf'er" state how she also "purchased" it? I assume that she only means that she was also offered the bag, and responded YES, but did not BIN? I might have some concerns if you both think that you have bought the same bag....??
Assuming that the item DID show up in your WON column. The seller has 7 days to ship. And unfortunately, sometimes you get no response from sellers, which is most irritating. Hopefully your seller will not be so negligent.
If you would like to post the auction, maybe someone else can chime in who may have dealt w/ this particular seller b4.
Shades of R-O/Pretty*Bubbles of infamous "Violet /Vans" --- selling the same bag more than once! Maybe your seller is just uncommunicative? (rude but not a scammer)? Let's hope that is the case. But if the tpfer also bought the same bag through a second chance offer (and actually bought the bag) I would say call ebay/Pp and raise h**l.
Too late now, but that is another reason to wait for the seller to send you an actual INVOICE, not just pay automatically with PP. I had this happen recently: I jumped on it and paid from the "you won this item" notice from ebay with PP, and then the payment was "unclaimed" by seller in PP (yet PP still instantly took the money from my bank account associated with PP). Had to cancel that payment, but my $$ was tied up for days. The seller had "forgotten" to put her new email address in PP payment. What an annoying mess.
Give us an update? On second thought, I would call ebay/PP anyway just to see what is what.

Last edited: