Search for the Great White Shirt

TBH I think that has more to do with poor fits on the shirts, I am far from large busted but often find that shirts gape at the bust on me too......you have to just keep trying and trying!!

TBH I think that has more to do with poor fits on the shirts, I am far from large busted but often find that shirts gape at the bust on me too......you have to just keep trying and trying!!

You may be right mooks, I have one from Next, that fits like a dream, but I cant find another one that fits the same, no matter which make I try on.
The buttons are placed perfectly. Its all a bit hit and miss.

i've been buying the brooks brothers no-iron shirts for years. the white always looks fresh; the fitted style works well for me even though i have a large bust. after i wash my shirts i line dry them then spray starch and iron even though the shirts are no-iron.

I like some styles of Ann Fontaine under cardigans, but they shrink & discolor (handwashing and dry cleaning) and the Anne Fontaine sales people on Madison are not pleasant. Issey Miyake has some nice button down shirts -- usually they do black and white and have nice waist minimizing detailing. Theory shirts don;t last but are flattering and, like Issey Miyake are cut a bit longer which is good if you want to wear jeans without any sliver of midriff showing; dolce (same as theory but much more expensive) -- you can get them on sale at Saks; Men's shirtmakers like Borelli, used to do shirts for women -- I have a few, but they are more sartorial in style as opposed to fashion. wolford does some nice tee shirts that peep out of sportscoats and cardigans -- I get mine from K & D (in NY on Orchard or Delancey -- ask for Miriam -- they are third generation upscale wolford and lingerie and do phone orders). I've tried Banana Republic and a friend sent me a shirt from Brooks Brothers, but their button placement wasn;t right and it felt too conservative. . .

Props to MrB4bags, I am from the same school - when I find something I love, I buy many of it! I really have had great luck with my Anne Fontaines - I have had them dry cleaned more times than I can recall and many of them are more that 6 years old - as to fit - I'm 5'4 105 lbs give or take and busty - I too have the button gap prob w/ some of her styles but for the most part, her designs work nicely for me.

i love Prada's stretch popeline cotton shirts...esp white...very crisp and tailored well :biggrin:
thank you pigleto972001, my husband wears prada shirts with jeans on weekends and they look great. . . I never thought to find out whether they make shirts for women. . .

And I forgot brunello cuchinelli (also owns gunex and another brand)

Re the gap problem, sometimes I use double stick tape -- there is one sold at Searle boutiques called matchsticks

Perigord, I'm so glad that worked out for you.

Another website to try is Talbots.com, they have petite, plus and regular sizing.

What I personally found is that not all shirts fit the same from the same company/designer etc.

I bought Marina Rinaldi shirt and next time I couldn't buy as it didn't fit well.

Same with Lafayette and others, I think it's not only the company but the design of the shirt. If they change the model, the fit might change if that makes sense.

Lafayette has a website section dedicated to white shirts, but that doesn't mean they are fantastic.

Try landsend.com too. I love this thread.

Last edited: