Screw backs or locking backs?

Jul 28, 2009
Hi gals,

I have some yellow gold studs which I think I will reset into a white setting. At the same time I'm thinking of getting either locking or screw backs for the earrings - I really have to tug at my ear to take the large friction backs off and it always gives me the heebie jeebies to the point that I don't like wearing the earrings.

Which of the two do you prefer? I'm mainly concerned about comfort and ease on/off. The earrings are only 1.5 ctw, so I think they would be equally secure with both backs. I've tried both in store but it was only for a few minutes and you never know how it actually is using them over time - I didn't really have an opinion either way.

I'd to hear your thoughts. Also, please please please let me know if there's anything else you think I should consider. Thanks!

I didn't start wearing screw backs until recently and I prefer those, personally, because they make the earrings stay in place while I sleep and go about my day. I tend to keep earrings on for a few days at a time so having backs that will potentially fall off in the process are a no for me. They are pretty comfortable as well from my experience. However, if you are the type of person that likes to take earrings on and off I don't think screw backs are for you, as you'll get annoyed of having to screw them on and off.

Reactions: dieguteteufelin
By locking do you mean the large La Pousette backs? I like these but read somewhere that if you wear them all the time including shower, the springs inside them will eventually rust and will need replacing. I don't wear screw backs because they take ages to remove, and I feel a little uneasy about pushing threaded posts through my ears.

I personally use very tight fitting plastic backs for all of my earrings, and have never had a problem. I don't have to worry about the backs falling out (can even wear two pairs for super expensive earrings) or the post being damaged since it's just soft plastic, plus they're comfortable. Win win!

Thank you so much!

By locking do you mean the large La Pousette backs?
These would be that type of back - jewelers out here have called them both La Pousette and Guardian backs which seem to be the same thing, it appears they are just referencing different brands. That's good to know about the rust, I hadn't heard that but it would deter me from ever thinking of wearing them in water.

I most likely wouldn't be wearing them to shower and such - I probably wouldn't even wear these daily (I prefer my 1 ctw studs at work) so I'm not super concerned about the rusting or being inconvenienced by a screw. Even if I do change to wearing them daily, I remove my existing studs every evening now so it would only take a bit longer to screw or unlock them. Almost leaning toward screws right now. Does anyone know if they could get stripped with use?

Thank you so much!

These would be that type of back - jewelers out here have called them both La Pousette and Guardian backs which seem to be the same thing, it appears they are just referencing different brands. That's good to know about the rust, I hadn't heard that but it would deter me from ever thinking of wearing them in water.

I most likely wouldn't be wearing them to shower and such - I probably wouldn't even wear these daily (I prefer my 1 ctw studs at work) so I'm not super concerned about the rusting or being inconvenienced by a screw. Even if I do change to wearing them daily, I remove my existing studs every evening now so it would only take a bit longer to screw or unlock them. Almost leaning toward screws right now. Does anyone know if they could get stripped with use?

Not all locking backs rust. I was told that my locking backs from Tiffany were 100% platinum and shouldn't rust.

I personally don't like screw backs as much because the the dirt gets stuck in the posts and the posts can get stripped with too much use. Also, I lost the screw back backing once because they are very small, and I dropped it on a wood floor and never found it. I like the La Pousette backs because they are bigger and can stabilize the earring better. My screw back backings are much smaller. Good luck with your choice!