Scratches on your bags

Mar 13, 2006
I'm just getting into Coach bags and I love the new Hamptons lines! BUT Hamptons Vintage leather scratches soooo easily!! I bought Hamptons Vintage Clutch in gray and haven't even used it yet but there are scratches on it already! Not sure how I feel about that... but gray is the best color out of all three!

So, how do you deal with scratches on your bags? Do they bother you? Do you Apple Guard the leather in order to restore it to its original condition? Or maybe you like that look? Please tell!

My only bag that really shows scratches is my legacy ali slimflap and I just rub those out. Plus I think it gives my whiskey color bag some more character so I don't mind them.

I've heard many of the ladies say they use the apple guard and it restores the leather from scratches and such.

i really don't like the scartches on the leather and it does bother the heck out of me. lol, i did read some posts where some members warned that it's not a babying bag...and the scratches gives the purses some character. however, i have sold my mandy b/c it was too heavy, but i think maybe the next time if i get something in vintage leather, i'll keep a mental note to myself that each scratch builds character to my purse. maybe you should try thinking that way too if it helps;):P

however, i've read that some people have sprayed their bags with apple or even shining monkey and the scratches seem to not be as pronounced, or even when lightly rubbed away with their finger, it goes away more easily. good luck! Vintage leather smells so good btw!

Conditioning removes the scratches and also helps to keep the leather fresh. I'd say order the Apple conditioner even if the scratches don't bother you.

I find that once the bag is conditioned, it's more waterproof and less likely to suffer from watermarks. Also, if the bag is scratched, you can use your fingers to rub out the minor scratches since the oils from the conditioner re-heats and re-moistens the leather from the pressure and warmth of your fingers.

HTH!

Take care,

i really don't like the scartches on the leather and it does bother the heck out of me. lol, i did read some posts where some members warned that it's not a babying bag...and the scratches gives the purses some character. however, i have sold my mandy b/c it was too heavy, but i think maybe the next time if i get something in vintage leather, i'll keep a mental note to myself that each scratch builds character to my purse. maybe you should try thinking that way too if it helps;):P

however, i've read that some people have sprayed their bags with apple or even shining monkey and the scratches seem to not be as pronounced, or even when lightly rubbed away with their finger, it goes away more easily. good luck! Vintage leather smells so good btw!

LOL I tried doing that and it didn't work! I think I'm going to exchange my Gray Hamptons Vintage clutch for Espresso. I'm not too crazy about Espresso but since it's almost black, I think it'll hold up better (especially since I'll be having my hands on the clutch at most times and I don't want to stain/scratch it...KWIM?). Thank you for your response!

All leather will scratch. I just deal with it, but it always ticks me off when someone bumps into me and scratches my bag, or I do it on one of those hanger hook thingies in places like TJ Maxx. I try to just rub it out with my fingertips when that happens, and then later I condition them out with Apple. It's not perfect every time, but I really try not to stress about it. At least with leather you can usually deal...when it's patent, once you scratch the enamel coating, there's not much you can do except live with it. It doesn't scratch that easily, though.

I do condition all my bags (for the most part except for pebble grain until I get scratches), and I spray them with Apple or Shining Monkey. If you have a barrier on the bag to begin with, it makes it a bit easier to deal. Some of the new bags like the Bleecker woven have some sort of wax coating on them, which supposedly helps keep down the scratches and keeps it soft.

All leather will scratch. I just deal with it, but it always ticks me off when someone bumps into me and scratches my bag, or I do it on one of those hanger hook thingies in places like TJ Maxx. I try to just rub it out with my fingertips when that happens, and then later I condition them out with Apple. It's not perfect every time, but I really try not to stress about it. At least with leather you can usually deal...when it's patent, once you scratch the enamel coating, there's not much you can do except live with it. It doesn't scratch that easily, though.

I do condition all my bags (for the most part except for pebble grain until I get scratches), and I spray them with Apple or Shining Monkey. If you have a barrier on the bag to begin with, it makes it a bit easier to deal. Some of the new bags like the Bleecker woven have some sort of wax coating on them, which supposedly helps keep down the scratches and keeps it soft.

Baglady39- Sorry if this has already been answered in another thread but I just read the care card on my new Ergo Pleated Leather Satchel and it says NOT to use any cleaner or conditioner on the bag at all. Do you own this bag and if so, do you you use the Apple or Shining Monkey on it? I was already to take it out this afternoon on an inaugural trip out when I run some errands but am getting paranoid now (there's supposed to be a chance of T-storms). I must remember to stop at "Autozone" (as suggested in another thread) to pick up Apple products this afternoon!! TIA.

I have a Bleecker large flap in BT and it scratched horribly...right down the front! I got the conditioner and it worked miracles...scratches gone! I do think that the Apple Conditioner that was mentioned in a previous post is best...apparently the Coach conditioner can do more damage than good to the leather. I used it one time, but I think for future applications, I'll order/use the Apple.

Baglady39- Sorry if this has already been answered in another thread but I just read the care card on my new Ergo Pleated Leather Satchel and it says NOT to use any cleaner or conditioner on the bag at all. Do you own this bag and if so, do you you use the Apple or Shining Monkey on it? I was already to take it out this afternoon on an inaugural trip out when I run some errands but am getting paranoid now (there's supposed to be a chance of T-storms). I must remember to stop at "Autozone" (as suggested in another thread) to pick up Apple products this afternoon!! TIA.

They also say this about legacy leather, but I still condition my Ali slimflap. If I'm not mistaken, someone had conditioned there leather satchel on here- I'm not positive though. :confused1:

I have it in the burnt orange, which is a fairly porous leather in this color, and Apple made it look really rich and beautiful! Because it was dry, overall it did darken it a tad..what I mean by a richer color, but it looks so much better. I've actually done it twice now (only worn it twice) because I felt it got dry again. I also do spray with either Apple or Shining Monkey, but Apple dries faster and doesn't stink. Overall, IMO S.M is better but I typically use APple because I run out of S.M and then when I go to order more it's sold out for a bit. So by default a lot of my bags get Apple instead. That you can pick up at Burlington Coat Factory too. That's where I now get my Apple products just because it's more convenient in a pinch.

The conditioner removes the scratches on the pleated ergos really nicely too!

OMG...I HATE when people run into me and scratch my bag or get something on it!! Arghh!! And we are talking random people here, not even family members!

You said you condition all of your bags, and I am pretty sure that you have a Whiskey Gigi. Do you Apple care it? Also, do you have a problem w/ color transfer since it's not the darkest shade of brown?

I have it in the burnt orange, which is a fairly porous leather in this color, and Apple made it look really rich and beautiful! Because it was dry, overall it did darken it a tad..what I mean by a richer color, but it looks so much better. I've actually done it twice now (only worn it twice) because I felt it got dry again. I also do spray with either Apple or Shining Monkey, but Apple dries faster and doesn't stink. Overall, IMO S.M is better but I typically use APple because I run out of S.M and then when I go to order more it's sold out for a bit. So by default a lot of my bags get Apple instead. That you can pick up at Burlington Coat Factory too. That's where I now get my Apple products just because it's more convenient in a pinch.

Funny CA Annoynmous asked this question b/c I was going to PM you to ask the same exact thing. When you say you use spray - is that the protectant and then you condition it too? Which do you do first?

Funny CA Annoynmous asked this question b/c I was going to PM you to ask the same exact thing. When you say you use spray - is that the protectant and then you condition it too? Which do you do first?

I'm obsessed with conditioning and protecting my bags before wearing them (I baby my bags like crazy), so I always condition first and then spray with a stain/water protectant. I would like to know how everyone else does it!

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the leather looking dry. I ended up not taking mine out today as I originally intended because I really want to treat it first before I use it. I'll have to take a trip to Burlington Coat Factory now after all because when I stopped by what I thought was 'Autozone' this evening it was actually an 'Advanced Auto Parts' store instead (all those auto stores look the same to me)...