Scratches on my LV Pochette Metis Lock!

California53

Jun 30, 2015
Good Morning,
One of the reasons that I did not want to use my LV Pochette Metis often was worries about scratches on the face of the lock caused by the small metal/plastic point on the closure of the lock.
I read a few comments that the lock tip was plastic and so would not scratch the face plate of the lock.
Not so. I have many, many small scratches on the face plate of the lock, some almost down to the trademark and Louis Vuitton Paris lettering.
I am upset, not thinking that the plastic tip would scratch, but it does.
I love my LV Pochette Metis and it is one of favorite purses. I find myself using it more and more.
Anyone else notice this problem with the lock?
Warm regards,
California53

I have the infra pm and yes it is already getting scratched up. Its pretty much what happens with bags with this kind of closure or even just a metal plate which is why I tend to stay away from them. I couldn't resist the Infra though, even with scratches I am just happy its not peeling yet!

Reactions: California53
I was worried this would happen as well since I have a Pashli with the same type of closure. Doesn't take long for the metal to get scratched. I still love the look of this bag even with the scratches.

I have saint germain bbs that have this exact same lock and the first one LV sold me had a scratch down the entire top part of the lock. I knew right away that if I kept this bag I would end up with scratches. I decided to return that particular bag and order one online that came with a blue protective film over the lock- so it had never been touched. But yes, the S-lock absolutely scratches up and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. The little tip on the top part does not protect scratches from happening at all. The more you use your bag the more scratches it'll get. BUT the beauty of your bag itself (and my saint germains) far outweighs the con of the hardware being scratched. The lock itself is so shiny and beautiful that I know how you feel wanting to keep it in mint condition, but unfortunately with LV hardware this just isn't possible. The only luxury handbag hardware I've found to not eventually scratch is my chanel ruthenium hardware. Everything else, from LVs shiny hardware to their more dull hardware on canvas pieces, and their silver hardware on epi pieces and such, I have scratches on. If this is something you feel you were misinformed about, perhaps you can consider selling the bag and purchasing a different bag altogether that doesn't have a face plate/lock such as the pochette metis. When I ordered a Damier ebene pochette last year it came flawless but with a scratch on the zipper pull. I could, of course, have that replaced for free but I just let it be because the new one would just scratch as well. My hardware on ALL of my LVs has some scratches. It's unavoidable, unfortunately. If you look on eBay and scroll through some pochette metis listings, you'll get to see other locks and how they look. The pochette metis is a very lovely bag though so I hope you do get to enjoy it :smile:

The only handbags that stay perfect are left in their dustbags and never used.

Use it. Love it. I think the scratches add character. Later, you can replace the hardware and start again.

I used to be afraid to use my high priced bags, so they would sit in a closet until I sold them. Recently, I've bought the same brands pre-loved (at a savings) and they came to me w/ the little scratches or dings I always tried to avoid. I'm not afraid to use them and create my own imperfections.

Enjoy! You're wearing LV!

I have saint germain bbs that have this exact same lock and the first one LV sold me had a scratch down the entire top part of the lock. I knew right away that if I kept this bag I would end up with scratches. I decided to return that particular bag and order one online that came with a blue protective film over the lock- so it had never been touched. But yes, the S-lock absolutely scratches up and there's nothing you can do to prevent it. The little tip on the top part does not protect scratches from happening at all. The more you use your bag the more scratches it'll get. BUT the beauty of your bag itself (and my saint germains) far outweighs the con of the hardware being scratched. The lock itself is so shiny and beautiful that I know how you feel wanting to keep it in mint condition, but unfortunately with LV hardware this just isn't possible. The only luxury handbag hardware I've found to not eventually scratch is my chanel ruthenium hardware. Everything else, from LVs shiny hardware to their more dull hardware on canvas pieces, and their silver hardware on epi pieces and such, I have scratches on. If this is something you feel you were misinformed about, perhaps you can consider selling the bag and purchasing a different bag altogether that doesn't have a face plate/lock such as the pochette metis. When I ordered a Damier ebene pochette last year it came flawless but with a scratch on the zipper pull. I could, of course, have that replaced for free but I just let it be because the new one would just scratch as well. My hardware on ALL of my LVs has some scratches. It's unavoidable, unfortunately. If you look on eBay and scroll through some pochette metis listings, you'll get to see other locks and how they look. The pochette metis is a very lovely bag though so I hope you do get to enjoy it :smile:
Sorry to high jack the thread OP but I have an unrelated question for you fancy pants. On your Saint Germain bbs, the gold rings around the holes where the chain comes out of, are they straight and lined up in terms of the 'Louis vuitton' writing that's on them? Or just randomly placed. Sorry, I hope that makes sense. I'm not that bothered by mine being randomly placed, but just curious about others.

OP, I absolutely agree with others that scratches happen, it's inevitable, and I guarantee only you will notice. Love, enjoy and use your bag!

I guess that I am just going to have to get used to the fact that the face plate is going to continue to get scratched. Being in QA I can be a bit OCD. I am not going to worry about looking directly at my PM from the front without glare to ensure that the pin and lock are lined up COMPLETELY perfect.
Que sera sera....thank you, LV Lovelies!
And now......
LV.jpg

Sorry to high jack the thread OP but I have an unrelated question for you fancy pants. On your Saint Germain bbs, the gold rings around the holes where the chain comes out of, are they straight and lined up in terms of the 'Louis vuitton' writing that's on them? Or just randomly placed. Sorry, I hope that makes sense. I'm not that bothered by mine being randomly placed, but just curious about others.

OP, I absolutely agree with others that scratches happen, it's inevitable, and I guarantee only you will notice. Love, enjoy and use your bag!

IMG_1486602055.145218.jpgIMG_1486602065.326825.jpg

I know exactly what you mean :smile:. To answer your question, here are pics. They are not perfectly lined up with the writing. Mine are kind of close to lined up but I've seen some way off. It's like LV buttons on snap shut wallets- The word Louis (and Vuitton) is never always perfectly on top. It can be placed north, south, east, west. It's just how they're handmade :smile:

I guess that I am just going to have to get used to the fact that the face plate is going to continue to get scratched. Being in QA I can be a bit OCD. I am not going to worry about looking directly at my PM from the front without glare to ensure that the pin and lock are lined up COMPLETELY perfect.
And now......
View attachment 3599557

This is great, it made me laugh out loud!! Haha :smile:. Enjoy your beautiful bag. All LV owners can probably tell you that exact moment their new purse got it's first noticeable flaw. But they'll also tell you, the first cut is the deepest, as the saying goes haha. Use your bag, love it and soon you won't notice the flaws, but instead the beauty, practicality, functionality and durability of your LV :smile:

And now......
View attachment 3599557

Oh my goodness... lovin' that pic and the quote!