Scratched feet on a new bag?

pesternome

Feb 27, 2010
I stopped by the LV store in Saks this week because I saw an amarante Brea MM on the shelf. The SA said they had 2 in stock, the one on the shelf and the other one in its dustbag in the nearby drawer. I really liked the bag, but upon inspecting the brass feet I was disappointed to find them quite scratched up (esp as the SA said they just received them the day before). She pulled the other one out of the dustbag, and 2 of the feet still had blue plastic protective stickers on them and the other 2 feet were more badly scratched than the display bag. When I questioned the SA about the condition of the feet she said she could probably polish the scratches out if I wanted the bag. When I asked her if the bags at the stand alone boutique would be in better condition she said that no, all bags go on display and are rotated out of storage every 3-4 days and that LV prides itself on displaying and selling all its bags right off the shelf.

My questions are these:

Is it normal for a brand new bag to have scratched up feet?

My LV bag and SLG of course don't have feet and I haven't considered buying one with feet before so it is the first time I have inspected feet on an LV bag. I wouldn't buy the bag because I imagined that if I had to return or exchange it they would accuse me of being responsible for the scratches and refuse to accept it.

Is it true that all their bags are rotated on display? Potentially any "new" bag could then be stained or have greasy hand prints or damage from being handled/mishandled? How do you ensure the bag that you inspect and accept is the same one they wrap up for you to take home?

I am newish to LV so I appreciate your information.

I wouldn't be worried about scratched feet. You won't be looking at them when you start using the bag, and it's not something anyone else would ever notice (once you start using it yourself the feet are bound to get scratched anyway...that's what they're for after all!)

I have noticed from reading lots of different threads on this forum that it seems to be really common that people will buy a bag, use it a few times / keep it for up to 30 days and then decide they don't like it & return it. Personally, I don't like it. I would never exchange a bag unless it was actually faulty. I don't want to buy a bag that someone else has kept for a few weeks and used a few times - even if it is still in 'as new' condition when they return it. I want brand new. I'm of the opinion that you should make up your mind BEFORE you buy, but I gather there are plenty of people who will disagree with me on this. Anyway, that could be the reason for the scratched feet perhaps??

When I got my Trevi the SA took out a brand new one. took off all the blue plastic protection in front of me, yet when I got home there was some minor scratches on the feet.. everything else was in perfect condition. I think it was because he placed it on the glass display in front of me and some how just scratched it a lil ... but yea I'm not too fussed about scratched feet becos once you start using it and as long as you have to place it somewhere it will get scratched.

I always insist they get out a new one.. and when they start taking blue plastic in front of me I always feel better. Another thing, two weeks ago when I was at the store buying a LV belt for my dad the first belt they took out was brand new and had the blue plastic firmly on the buckle, but when I took it off it had a slight scratch on it.. I had to go through about 3 different Belts before I found one that better.. so just because it has scratches doesn't always mean it's used..

Thanks for your replies. I figured that once I start using a bag the feet would get scratched of course. I just wasn't sure what is normal for "new" or "like new" condition and what might be unacceptable. Thanks again.