"Schooling" myself but need thoughts and opinions

love2learn

O.G.
Jul 26, 2013
I guess I'm another Louis Vuitton'er jumping ship! The newer direction of trendy bags just isn't appealing to me at all now, and actually for awhile:annoyed:. I've always browsed the Chanel forum, but never was serious enough about owning one. The day is coming however!! I've read and re-read threads, studied all the gorgeous pictures, and have visited the boutique (only three times though:amazed:). I understand (for the most part) caviar (varies season to season? and pretty durable), lambskin (some say delicate others say it'll be fine and love it), calf and aged calfskin (not as durable as caviar, but pretty darn close. and one is wrinkled the other isn't?), and I believe a goatskin is available too? I know the different metals and the abbreviations now:smartass: I understand the classic flap and sizes (mostly), the boy and sizes, coco handle, woc, square and rectangle minis (hard to get unless it's not a very desired color), and then there are seasonals (not to versed on those:huh:). I also know there is chevron style, quilted, and the Reissues. Feel like I'm forgetting some of my lessons:-s

The first visit was in NYC at Saks (in Dec.) and the SA was sooooo nice. I told her I was just starting to get into which bag I may want first. She brought out a navy Reissue with maybe rthw (was two months ago and lots has happened since then) and then a caviar black classic flap with regular gold hw. Loved them both, but drawn to the caviar and gold more. Fast forward to January. Went into the closest boutique here and told the SA (which remembered me the second time I went in so I think she'll be it) I've just started really schooling myself and I'm going to purchase, but I'm not rushing into anything until I'm for sure. She was also very helpful and gave her thoughts and opinions to every question I had. Ultimately it's my decision and what I love, but she had some valid points. I cannot believe how comfortable the m/l classic is and how well it sits on my shoulder. Her thoughts were to get a classic before a reissue and quilted before chevron, and at this time I"m with her on that. I also tried on the small boy and it was nice, but the classic really got my attention. My second visit I went back in to ask about the wocs and if there was an actual turnlock one, and she brought out the black on black re-issue woc. Almost bought it, and told myself "no, think it over because you still haven't tried on a mini yet". But, while there I noticed a pink Mademoiselle in the window and asked about it. I told her that hot pink color is a little too much for me, but if there was another color available? She said they had that one, but would be getting others in and kinda steered me back to the classic talk.

So I've tried to find more info on here about the Mademoiselle and pros and cons and can't find very much? They're gorgeous and I understand maybe not a classic flap, but are they considered seasonal? And now I wish I would've tried the pink one on to see if I even liked it, and also felt the thickness etc... I don't want to keep going in due to temptation and also I don't want her to feel annoyed I'm not buying anything yet. But, I've learned along time ago not to rush, and Chanel prices really make me want to "think it through". So PLEASE feel free to give me your advice on the Mademoiselle or anything I'm missing about the other bags.

Thank you all in advance and sorry for the long post!!!

If you can afford the Classic flap, that is the purchase I would make. If the extra $$ is an issue the seasonal flaps are beautiful. I would purchase dark caviar if I were you, black/navy etc, they are just easier to take care of. I have a Classic Jumbo in black caviar SHW and I am completely in love with it. The Classic is a forever bag, iconic, will never go out of style. I do have seasonal pieces that I love, just not the same as the Classic flap.

you sound like a smart woman, and obviously one wary of making a mistake. of course this is just my opinion.... i think stick to classic lamb (or caviar) in m/l in black, navy, or some dark shade. think of seasonal pieces like LV le pieces... they are meant to be eye-catching, often come in bright colors not usually available, and they have features the classic line doesn't (like longer straps, fabric interiors, multipockets, etc.). like LV le pieces, the chanel seasonal pieces may or may not maintain value and popularity, but a classic flap always will. seasonal pieces are there as 'fillers' - to keep you interested in coming back again and again once that core collection is built. the classic flap is the speedy ; most people should have it in their collection unless it truly doesn't suit their life and style.

Reactions: Kendie26
If you can afford the Classic flap, that is the purchase I would make. If the extra $$ is an issue the seasonal flaps are beautiful. I would purchase dark caviar if I were you, black/navy etc, they are just easier to take care of. I have a Classic Jumbo in black caviar SHW and I am completely in love with it. The Classic is a forever bag, iconic, will never go out of style. I do have seasonal pieces that I love, just not the same as the Classic flap.

Yes, right now the classic flap is what I'm leaning towards. And more than likely black. It's classic, timeless, and as you said, easier to take care of. I just wish I would've at least tried on the Mademoiselle to see how it compares to the classic flap. Thank you for responding!!

you sound like a smart woman, and obviously one wary of making a mistake. of course this is just my opinion.... i think stick to classic lamb (or caviar) in m/l in black, navy, or some dark shade. think of seasonal pieces like LV le pieces... they are meant to be eye-catching, often come in bright colors not usually available, and they have features the classic line doesn't (like longer straps, fabric interiors, multipockets, etc.). like LV le pieces, the chanel seasonal pieces may or may not maintain value and popularity, but a classic flap always will. seasonal pieces are there as 'fillers' - to keep you interested in coming back again and again once that core collection is built. the classic flap is the speedy ; most people should have it in their collection unless it truly doesn't suit their life and style.

I love this analogy!! Makes sense. I've only had one LV regret purchase and that was in the very beginning. I don't like regrets, much less costly regrets. I know some buy and sell very quickly when it doesn't work for them and take a huge loss. I'm not that way. I try to buy pieces that will still look great for years to come and is a functional and useful bag for me. I do love the neutral colors more, although the pretty eye candy colors can be hypnotizing if you stare to long[emoji7]. I really love your reply and it's so true about the other pieces being "fillers" to keep us coming back. Thank you so much!!

I guess I'm another Louis Vuitton'er jumping ship! The newer direction of trendy bags just isn't appealing to me at all now, and actually for awhile:annoyed:. I've always browsed the Chanel forum, but never was serious enough about owning one. The day is coming however!! I've read and re-read threads, studied all the gorgeous pictures, and have visited the boutique (only three times though:amazed:). I understand (for the most part) caviar (varies season to season? and pretty durable), lambskin (some say delicate others say it'll be fine and love it), calf and aged calfskin (not as durable as caviar, but pretty darn close. and one is wrinkled the other isn't?), and I believe a goatskin is available too? I know the different metals and the abbreviations now:smartass: I understand the classic flap and sizes (mostly), the boy and sizes, coco handle, woc, square and rectangle minis (hard to get unless it's not a very desired color), and then there are seasonals (not to versed on those:huh:). I also know there is chevron style, quilted, and the Reissues. Feel like I'm forgetting some of my lessons:-s

The first visit was in NYC at Saks (in Dec.) and the SA was sooooo nice. I told her I was just starting to get into which bag I may want first. She brought out a navy Reissue with maybe rthw (was two months ago and lots has happened since then) and then a caviar black classic flap with regular gold hw. Loved them both, but drawn to the caviar and gold more. Fast forward to January. Went into the closest boutique here and told the SA (which remembered me the second time I went in so I think she'll be it) I've just started really schooling myself and I'm going to purchase, but I'm not rushing into anything until I'm for sure. She was also very helpful and gave her thoughts and opinions to every question I had. Ultimately it's my decision and what I love, but she had some valid points. I cannot believe how comfortable the m/l classic is and how well it sits on my shoulder. Her thoughts were to get a classic before a reissue and quilted before chevron, and at this time I"m with her on that. I also tried on the small boy and it was nice, but the classic really got my attention. My second visit I went back in to ask about the wocs and if there was an actual turnlock one, and she brought out the black on black re-issue woc. Almost bought it, and told myself "no, think it over because you still haven't tried on a mini yet". But, while there I noticed a pink Mademoiselle in the window and asked about it. I told her that hot pink color is a little too much for me, but if there was another color available? She said they had that one, but would be getting others in and kinda steered me back to the classic talk.

So I've tried to find more info on here about the Mademoiselle and pros and cons and can't find very much? They're gorgeous and I understand maybe not a classic flap, but are they considered seasonal? And now I wish I would've tried the pink one on to see if I even liked it, and also felt the thickness etc... I don't want to keep going in due to temptation and also I don't want her to feel annoyed I'm not buying anything yet. But, I've learned along time ago not to rush, and Chanel prices really make me want to "think it through". So PLEASE feel free to give me your advice on the Mademoiselle or anything I'm missing about the other bags.

As a fellow recent "convert", I can relate to your post. I can only recommend you take all the time you need and go back to the store as many times as possible. I did the same when buying my first Chanel, in fact I even told the SA upfront that I was not ready to make the purchase on that particular day and that I might have to come back after I had slept over my decision. This helped me a lot in the sense that it took pressure off me but also gave her the chance to decide how "involved" she would want to get under these conditions. It is a LOT of money that we spend on such bags, so I think we should have the right to make educated decisions, even if this takes time.

Now to your question. As much as I agree that "when in doubt, go with a classic", I would suggest you "try on" the Mademoiselle before pulling the trigger. I had initially wanted to buy a Timeless Jumbo in Caviar, but this did not at all look good on me. So I contradicted the rule myself and bought 1. a reissue and 2. in chevron. But when I tried it on it looked like it already belonged to me as opposed to the Timeless Jumbo.

I guess what I am trying to say here is listen to everyone's advice and yes, if you like both, go with the classic, but ultimately trust your gut and chose what makes your heart sing. From how you describe yourself and how you usually take decisions, wanting to keep things rather then sell and wear them for long, I am sure you will not settle for something that is completely short-lived anyway.

And try to enjoy the process! It IS a lot of money, so you should spend it wisely and this takes time.

As a fellow recent "convert", I can relate to your post. I can only recommend you take all the time you need and go back to the store as many times as possible. I did the same when buying my first Chanel, in fact I even told the SA upfront that I was not ready to make the purchase on that particular day and that I might have to come back after I had slept over my decision. This helped me a lot in the sense that it took pressure off me but also gave her the chance to decide how "involved" she would want to get under these conditions. It is a LOT of money that we spend on such bags, so I think we should have the right to make educated decisions, even if this takes time.

Now to your question. As much as I agree that "when in doubt, go with a classic", I would suggest you "try on" the Mademoiselle before pulling the trigger. I had initially wanted to buy a Timeless Jumbo in Caviar, but this did not at all look good on me. So I contradicted the rule myself and bought 1. a reissue and 2. in chevron. But when I tried it on it looked like it already belonged to me as opposed to the Timeless Jumbo.

I guess what I am trying to say here is listen to everyone's advice and yes, if you like both, go with the classic, but ultimately trust your gut and chose what makes your heart sing. From how you describe yourself and how you usually take decisions, wanting to keep things rather then sell and wear them for long, I am sure you will not settle for something that is completely short-lived anyway.

And try to enjoy the process! It IS a lot of money, so you should spend it wisely and this takes time.
Thank you for your reply! You are right on me not wanting to settle. So far I really love how the m/l classic felt on. At this point I'm drawn to the ghw. Still undecided on chevron, quilted, or reissue. No hurries though. I was upfront with the SA that I'm just starting this journey and I will be taking my time and thinking about it. I'm not even sure the first bag has to be black. She told me right now it's the brighter colors coming out, which I saw some of them and know that if I had money trees that quickly replenished themselves they would be fun, but they're not for me at this point. I asked her when the fall colors would come and she said usually end of July? Black would be gorgeous, but then I see pictures on here of dark grays, navy, and burgandy. I do want to go back in and try on the Mademoiselle because I know I will regret not doing so. Just to know if I can rule it out completely. I'm just going to be patient and think it all through and be completely happy in the end with my first Chanel. Thank you again for your thoughts!!

Reactions: marzipanchen
Hello! I've only started collecting luxury items since 2015. So, I am a newbie, too. Just a middle-class professional gal...I can't/won't hoard infinite beauties because I don't have that budget. Here is my approach:

1) Classic. Classic. Classic. Something that isn't just trendy now and you know you'll love for years.

2) COMFORTABLE. I am petite, 5'2. No Jumbo-sized Chanels for me. I got a M/L classic flap in caviar black, and the alternative considered to that was 225 or 226 Reissue flap. (225 is the same size as M/L, while 226 is between M/L and Jumbo.) The Reissues have slightly longer chains which would have allowed cross-body use (a plus), but the caviar leather won out for loooong term durability.

I am eyeing getting a Mini now because of cross-body capability. The colors are a temptation but it's going to be black, too, because black is gorgeous, versatile, and doesn't show wear & tear and color transfer/dirt easily.

3) You do NOT have to give up on LV at all! I use an LV canvas tote (Totally MM in damier ebene--don't call it a diaper bag! :P ) because I pack a lot of things for work, travel quite a bit, and sometimes carry my laptop around. LV canvas is durable and light and perfect for the harder life.

And...I still prefer LV small leather goods (canvas or empreinte leather) to Chanel's. The canvas is so durable, and the empreinte leather is both durable and has a smooshy, satisfying feeling in the hand. Chanel's luxurious leather small leather goods will wear in a different way.

There is also a conceptual romance in my mind. Chanel is my favourite luxury brand, I think their aesthetic, and Coco Chanel's design principles ring closest to my heart. I try to think of beauty in form, function, and minimalism. LV's small leather goods, especially in their classic brown & beige monogram, can be cute/beautiful/functional but they also make me think of the romance of travel, of new experiences, of new tales, and expansion of mind and heart. LV's storied beginnings included those famed steamer trunks, after all.

You're not limited to one ship. ;) Welcome aboard!

Reactions: jpezmom and chlamy
Here's another helpful resource, from TPF'er Rami00 on here...
http://www.********.com/to-gold-or-silver-that-is-the-question/

She and her previous comments/articles on gold versus silver hardware helped me to choose my M/L flap hardware as Silver. I have a WOC in gold since I use it less often and more for formal/fancy outings. I'm hoping for a Mini in gold hardware for a similar reason--I like daintier bags in Gold, and Silver for more "laid-back" uses.

Other gals on here, it seems, have their classic flaps in Gold and their smaller daily WOCs or Mini's in Silver.

Hello! I've only started collecting luxury items since 2015. So, I am a newbie, too. Just a middle-class professional gal...I can't/won't hoard infinite beauties because I don't have that budget. Here is my approach:

1) Classic. Classic. Classic. Something that isn't just trendy now and you know you'll love for years.

2) COMFORTABLE. I am petite, 5'2. No Jumbo-sized Chanels for me. I got a M/L classic flap in caviar black, and the alternative considered to that was 225 or 226 Reissue flap. (225 is the same size as M/L, while 226 is between M/L and Jumbo.) The Reissues have slightly longer chains which would have allowed cross-body use (a plus), but the caviar leather won out for loooong term durability.

I am eyeing getting a Mini now because of cross-body capability. The colors are a temptation but it's going to be black, too, because black is gorgeous, versatile, and doesn't show wear & tear and color transfer/dirt easily.

3) You do NOT have to give up on LV at all! I use an LV canvas tote (Totally MM in damier ebene--don't call it a diaper bag! :P ) because I pack a lot of things for work, travel quite a bit, and sometimes carry my laptop around. LV canvas is durable and light and perfect for the harder life.

And...I still prefer LV small leather goods (canvas or empreinte leather) to Chanel's. The canvas is so durable, and the empreinte leather is both durable and has a smooshy, satisfying feeling in the hand. Chanel's luxurious leather small leather goods will wear in a different way.

There is also a conceptual romance in my mind. Chanel is my favourite luxury brand, I think their aesthetic, and Coco Chanel's design principles ring closest to my heart. I try to think of beauty in form, function, and minimalism. LV's small leather goods, especially in their classic brown & beige monogram, can be cute/beautiful/functional but they also make me think of the romance of travel, of new experiences, of new tales, and expansion of mind and heart. LV's storied beginnings included those famed steamer trunks, after all.

You're not limited to one ship. ;) Welcome aboard!
Thank you for your reply! Right now I'm very bored with LV and the new direction isn't appealing at all to me. There's still a few bags i think about getting, but it's just one trendy bag after another coming out. Doesn't appeal to me at all, and the bags that are appealing are close to classic flap price and I'd rather have Chanel. I guess I'm just content with my LV's (which is a nice variety) I have now and it's time to add something different. I'm just in no hurry. I'm still pretty sure it will be a m/l classic flap with ghw, but all could change the next time I go in. I have no desire for larger than m/l since I don't carry much. I've also tried on the small boy, which looked best on me compared to a medium boy. But, the classic for right now wins over the boy for me. Boy can be for later purchase. The mini's picutres on here look amazing! The only mini the boutique had when I went in was a light yellow one, but it gave me an idea of what could fit in a rectangular mini. Again, that's down the road. Hope you find your perfect mini in the mean time though!! I also looked at the other link you sent about hardware color. She had some good points. I actually wear gold, silver, and white gold jewellry. But, I prefer yellow gold for most of my jewelry. Not all, but most. But, with the bags I do like some variety too.

Thanks again for your reply. Hope you find your perfect mini soon!!

Reactions: Lola24
Go back and try the mademoisille see if you love it
I have three Chanel bags that I have had for the past few years
Half moon woc
Camillle woc
Chain around medium
These are the bags that I fell in love with
I use them and love them
When I save up some more $$ I will get a boy

It's so nice to see that you're so deliberate and thoughtful in your research for your first Chanel!!!
So, while it seems implied that you are looking for your 1st chanel bag here - not your only chanel bag. I think that makes a difference in how you might want to go about it if you think there's a chance that it's going to be your only Chanel.
I do think that another thing to think about on the "battle of the classics" (ruling out mademoiselle flap for the moment), is the answer to the following important question:
In your lifestyle and with regards to the people that you run into everyday, would you have no problem wearing a bag with clear Chanel cc logo? or would you realistically and practically want/need to wear something more discreet logo wise?
Basically, would you feel a Chanel logo bag be considered too "fancy" for your work/daily environment and do you think you might fear the people around you would be "judgmental" if they see and recognize the chanel logo on the bag?

If so, you might want to revisit the idea of the reissue vs. the timeless classic flap bag. For what I would consider an obvious major factor for your decision of a 1st chanel bag: They are both gorgeous bag styles hence all time classics. However, if you chose the one that doesn't fit your lifestyle, you simply won't wear it enough to enjoy or appreciate its beauty. therefore, the likelihood of you appreciating the beauty of a chanel bag to its fullest would be extremely low. you might not even want your 2nd chanel bag because you never truly get to fully appreciate it by using it enough. (so if you're trying to save $ by not becoming an addict like many of us, this may be a great strategy...)

Timeless classic pro: clear logo very recognizably Chanel, more structured shape. Con: doesn't have flexibility to stretch and fit "more" inside. "too" recognizable, can't cross body well
Reissue pro: discreet branding, great sturdy leather that still feel soft to the touch, can fit more than M/L due to less structured shape, cross-body well. Con: less structured shape,

Then to consider the mademoiselle, my thought would be that the timeless classics (reissue/classic flap) are exactly that... you take a vintage classic flap to use today, it's stylish and relevant than it was 50 years ago despite minor hardware differences, etc. The mademoiselle does have a simple classic silhouette. however, I don't see it as "timeless". It's not seasonal for sure but is a classic styling. however, it certainly gives a more "vintage/retro" feel, which is "in style" right now but in 20 years or so if the retro vibe is not considered trendy any more, the mademoiselle styling can feel dated compared to the classic flaps.
Another thing to consider about the classic flap styles vs. the mademoiselle: The classics can be opened easily one handed. With the mademoiselle bag, it opens up like a boy bag. This might at times mean you need to use both hands to negotiate it at times because you need to lift the flap up. The pro is that I does not have double flaps.

HTH a bit :smile:

I love that you are "schooling" yourself & taking your time!! YAY YOU!! You've received great advice on here already & I just encourage you continue "studying" & taking your time. Your SA sounds like a good one & 1 who is willing to help/work with you. All of my chanel SA's (at Saks, NM, boutique) have been amazing & NON pressuring so I hope that's the case for you as well. I think you will "just know" when you find "the right one"...it will make your heart skip a beat & the decision will likely come very easily!! BEST of LUCK!!:flowers::wave:

Go back and try the mademoisille see if you love it
I have three Chanel bags that I have had for the past few years
Half moon woc
Camillle woc
Chain around medium
These are the bags that I fell in love with
I use them and love them
When I save up some more $$ I will get a boy
Yes, I need to go back indeed. You have three great bags. The Camille pics I've seen on the action thread and elsewhere are beautiful. Thank you for your reply.

It's so nice to see that you're so deliberate and thoughtful in your research for your first Chanel!!!
So, while it seems implied that you are looking for your 1st chanel bag here - not your only chanel bag. I think that makes a difference in how you might want to go about it if you think there's a chance that it's going to be your only Chanel.
I do think that another thing to think about on the "battle of the classics" (ruling out mademoiselle flap for the moment), is the answer to the following important question:
In your lifestyle and with regards to the people that you run into everyday, would you have no problem wearing a bag with clear Chanel cc logo? or would you realistically and practically want/need to wear something more discreet logo wise?
Basically, would you feel a Chanel logo bag be considered too "fancy" for your work/daily environment and do you think you might fear the people around you would be "judgmental" if they see and recognize the chanel logo on the bag?

If so, you might want to revisit the idea of the reissue vs. the timeless classic flap bag. For what I would consider an obvious major factor for your decision of a 1st chanel bag: They are both gorgeous bag styles hence all time classics. However, if you chose the one that doesn't fit your lifestyle, you simply won't wear it enough to enjoy or appreciate its beauty. therefore, the likelihood of you appreciating the beauty of a chanel bag to its fullest would be extremely low. you might not even want your 2nd chanel bag because you never truly get to fully appreciate it by using it enough. (so if you're trying to save $ by not becoming an addict like many of us, this may be a great strategy...)

Timeless classic pro: clear logo very recognizably Chanel, more structured shape. Con: doesn't have flexibility to stretch and fit "more" inside. "too" recognizable, can't cross body well
Reissue pro: discreet branding, great sturdy leather that still feel soft to the touch, can fit more than M/L due to less structured shape, cross-body well. Con: less structured shape,

Then to consider the mademoiselle, my thought would be that the timeless classics (reissue/classic flap) are exactly that... you take a vintage classic flap to use today, it's stylish and relevant than it was 50 years ago despite minor hardware differences, etc. The mademoiselle does have a simple classic silhouette. however, I don't see it as "timeless". It's not seasonal for sure but is a classic styling. however, it certainly gives a more "vintage/retro" feel, which is "in style" right now but in 20 years or so if the retro vibe is not considered trendy any more, the mademoiselle styling can feel dated compared to the classic flaps.
Another thing to consider about the classic flap styles vs. the mademoiselle: The classics can be opened easily one handed. With the mademoiselle bag, it opens up like a boy bag. This might at times mean you need to use both hands to negotiate it at times because you need to lift the flap up. The pro is that I does not have double flaps.

HTH a bit :smile:
It's helped a great deal! When I went into the NYC store, only the reissue was on my mind for the reasons you listed. But, when I relented to let her show me the classic quilted caviar....it was a strange moment actually of silence for me. it just looked so beautiful and felt so good on. However, it could have been the reissue she was showing me just was kinda mehhh. When I see pics of reissues such as yours and Kendie's and others, I'm more drawn to those. Yes, I do go back and forth internally on reissue or classic. And you are correct that I don't plan on it being my only Chanel:smile:. But, you are soooooo right about getting the one that does fit my lifestyle better. I usually only wear my LV's on the weekend because I work in a small office and with some women who live paycheck to paycheck. So I just use a simple Michael Kors tote during work week. I try to enjoy my beauties on the weekends, holidays, night outs, etc...as much as often. So you have me back to really thinking about the reissue again, LOL!

You answered a question that I haven't asked yet, and that was about the reissue stretching out more. But, over time as long as it's not overloaded, etc...will a reissue still hold it's shape and not sag? I'm not a fan of the sag at all.

Thank you for your thoughts on the Mademoiselle also. I guess since I've never tried one on yet, I didn't even think about the opening being a little harder to get into. I appreciate this and everything else you took the time with explaining. i really do appreciate it!!!