School stress. Advice?

shani

King Louis' Mistress
Aug 8, 2006
The stress of school is really starting to get to me. I've worked so, so hard to be a good student and keep all of my marks in the 80-100 range, which is saying a lot, because I spent the first half of the term feeling overwhelmed and stupid because I didn't understand what was going on. I've sacrificed a lot to get those marks -- I don't have any semblance of a social life, and I'd work no matter how sick or exhausted I felt. I'm working hard not only because I want a good mark, but because I really want to tutor for this course next year: there's an excellent program run and paid for by the school that offers group tutoring for certain courses, and they've wanted to do one for this class for years (I think it would really benefit them), but they've never had anyone qualified enough/interested.

Now, come my first exam, I find all those things that I didn't understand in the first portion of the term coming back to bite me in the ass. I'm really upset. If I don't do well on this exam, all of my hard work will go unrecognized, and I won't get to do that tutoring gig that I was looking forwards to. I'm depressed that I'm on thin ice right now despite all the work that I've put into the course. Meanwhile, I'm finally starting to burn out: I want so, so badly to go to bed (I feel like I could sleep until tomorrow evening, if left to my own devices), or at least curl up under the covers and eat enough chocolate to grow an extra pair of thighs. I'm so stressed that I feel nauseous, and even if I manage to calm down, the stress returns. To bring the violins to a crescendo, I cried myself to sleep last night.

I don't know how to handle these feelings or my upcoming exam. :sad: I went to the professor for help, and he wasn't that helpful/couldn't help me that much because of all the other students coming to him with questions. I really enjoy my professor's lectures, and I want him to notice me and know how cool I found his lectures, but without a good mark, I feel like I'll just be another annoying student devoid of social skills.

I'm sorry you're goint through this. School is such a stressful time. I think you should still try talking to your prof. Perhaps he'd admire your courage?

Ugh. I feel for ya. This is why I still get the exam-nightmares. Anyone else get those? Seriously 12 years after I got my degree, I still wake up stressed about missing classes/lectures, not knowing where the exam room is...etc.

Chin up- it's all worth it in the end.

This is a tough one. Maybe you can review the material from the beginning of the semester. Are you friends with anyone in the class? Maybe you can get a little study group together. Try not to get too worked up. I know exactly how you feel -- I have read over 2,000 pages in the past week to prepare for exams. Earlier today I almost started crying. You do so much, but then you feel like it is not enough. But shrug off those feelings. It will be much better if you can take the exam with a somewhat clear head.

How about getting a tutor, or making a study group? I have a study group and a tutor for my italian 4 class - I meet once a week with my tutor and 3 times a week with a study group to go over homework and grammer stuff that we're learning in class. I also go to my teacher's office hours - would you be able to do that and get some one on one help from your teacher?

I know exactly how you feel. Italian is not easy for me, but I really enjoy it and have to put in more effort. But don't forget to applaud yourself - school is hard! Maybe take a quick walk before coming back to study will help you focus more. Good luck and think positive!

I did join a study group, but this time around, they turned out to be not very smart, productive, or reasonable people. In short, it was a disaster.

God. I just started bawling really loudly, and my father came down and yelled at me, saying that it's better that I drop out of school than bring the whole family down with me. It seems like madness to pick up my textbook again and pull the extra hours when I'm so upset and exhausted already. I don't know what I'm going to do. How did everything go so wrong?

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way, Shani. First of all, ignore your father, he was just probably having a bad day. I understand what you are going through. Try to first go over the material that you don't understand at all, and make short notes/study guide for yourself that you can glance at every once in a while. If there is a concept you just can't get, talk to your prof., and have him explain it to you. Then briefly go over what you already understand, then get some good rest. Keep reminding yourself that it's not forever, and that after this exam you can relax, and take a looonnng nap. Just remember, it all pays off in the end. Good luck!

I am stressed and overwhelmed with my classes as well but you can't panic! It won't help you must relax and take everything step by step and go over it! Does your school offer free tutoring?? Perhaps your professor can assist you with the things you don't understand or she/he can recommend where you can go for assistance. I wish you a lot of luck and just remember, it will all be over SOON!!!

you just have to do the best that you can

and realize most professors don't give a crap about studnets they care more about tenure and once they have tenure they are safe

End of semester/term is so stressful. I completely know what you mean about being "lost". I've taken exams that I swear had subject matter that was never covered in class or readings--complaining (nicely) did no good.

Try not to project into the future and assume you did badly. It may be better than you think. If at all possible, take a little time for yourself, eat healthy, and talk here or to someone you trust. It helps to share.

Best wishes.:heart:

It's that time... First things first, when you feel like you're going to collapse, COLLAPSE. Even if it's just for half an hour, you'll feel refreshed. Next...double shot espressos are your friend. The Purse Forum is not (I am such a hypocrite). What subject is it you're studying for? If there's a textbook, I would start with mastering the reading. Read it once and highlight. Read the highlights twice. Do the same with notes. If it's problem-based, practice! Sorry if I sound preachy, but I have been there (I'm almost there now!) and this is what has worked for me. Oh yea, and when you need a break, take a damn break because you deserve it.