School or no school?? please read!!

Bottom line is you should do what you love. Don't do something to make someone in your life happy, you will just end up miserable in the long run. I'm a junior at university in Arizona and I love it. Some day I would like to open my own resort/spa. I don't natrually have the business knowledge or the skills and thats why I'm going to school. Everyday I see these clueless 20 somethings just partying not studying and just in general wasting their parents money. It's kinda sad!
If you are happy with your current job stay there!

amanda said:
i don't think this is necessarily great advice. of course a college counselor is going to tell you to come back to college. they're not an unbiased source. on the other hand, there are some VERY successful people on here that have become quite good at what they do, and i think it's useful to get real-life experience from sources without an agenda.

*shrug* You are entitled to your opinion, of course. A good advisor would know when someone isn't appropriate for further schooling and would hopefully advise as such. One could argue that a college, and by extension, a college advisor, might want to discourage an inappropriate student in order to keep attrition rates low.

If not a college advisor, then asking a professional advisor or trusted mentor of some sort seems more appropriate than asking on a forum about handbags.

i dunno, i just tend to think that 'advising' is kind of a sham; i've never gotten any good advice from my college advisors. they're just there to push the paperwork across the table and tell you what everyone else does. i also think that there is something to be said for the life experiences of the people here, since we are an incredibly diverse group in age, race, region, income, and background. it never hurts to get some perspective on the issue, this board allows access to a lot of perspective.

Well, no one knows if their future will work out, but you are telling us that you have learned more in one month than in two years of school. I think that your choice is obvious right now in your life: keep trying to do what you are doing and dont worry about school just yet. If you are making a decent living and you are happy, then who cares?!!? Seriously, we aren't all meant for for formal education and i think everyone here needs to keep that in mind. Those who fit the standard molds of society are boring...you are happy and succeeding, and if you want to go back to college, then you can when you are ready. You are just figuring out who you are right now, I applaud that you have the courage to break out of the mold and venture into something you know you are good at and are interested in. Remember, school will always be there for you to go back to, but the opportunities you are facing now may not be.

By the way...to those who questioned this post, is this not the "GENERAL" discussion area where we "chat about miscellaneous topics"???

valerieb said:
I'm encouraging both of my kids to go to college, however, if you have a natural talent for sales, a solid work ethic, and the drive to succeed you will probably do well in your chosen field with or without a bachelor's degree. The catch is, if you work for a large corporation, sometimes not having a degree will limit your advancement. For example, you could be a top sales executive, but may be unable to get into management without the degree.

I totally agree with Valerieb. I was brought up with the parent that value so much of education. When I was in school the only job I have is to study and making good grades in school.

I am an accountant and working in a quite large corporation. Without a degree I won't be able to get a nice window office with a nice view. Well, unless I am super talented person, a genius, or if I own my business, but I am not all of that.

I say if you think education degree is important for the advancement of your career and if it is important to you then probably go back to school is better while you can and still continue working. Also it takes a lot more effort when you wait to go back to school later after you got married or have kids.:idea:

Definitely school. I don't even think you should consider any alternative.

Unless you have awesome entrepreneural skills to start up your own business, I think it's difficult to find high-paying jobs without a college degree. I guess "high-paying" is relative.

moe said:
I ask because i'm 21 and I've dropped out of college 1 year ago.
I was in the same boat as you at that age. I ended up going back to college when I realized that I would have an easier time getting promoted if I had a degree. People take you more seriously when they know you're educated.

in my country, education is very important..... as employers usually looks for degree holders for higher level jobs. So school would be the choice for me over here.

It also depends alot on yourself. If you find yourself dreading and dragging your feet to school, then it would be a torture. If you study, take something you have an interest. It will be much easier!

good luck!

I just completed my degree here in the Uk and got a 2:1 .. and I have found it really hard to get a job due to so many people here in the UK having a degree and going to uni. The jobs just are not availiable. Therefore sometimes I feel that it may have been easier if I had worked my way up from the bottom in an organisation. Thats what I keep telling my brother LOL He s currently doing his GCSEs and has to decide what he want to do.

School definitely. So that you have something to fall back on. It's easier for you to change directions if you have a degree. Life experience is great but there are things you need to learn from books (academically) as well. In addition, since you are so good at what you are doing already, I am sure you will find going back to school will make you even more successful after. Why don't you start with part-time college first and see how you like like then decide to take time off work or not? Greenie is right, everyone has a second degree (or plus professional designation) now, it's more competitive in the market now. You are having a "good time" in your "career" now, you will find it a little easier during bad times to have at least 1 degree.

Hope you make a good choice for your life.

kimmy said:
I just completed my degree here in the Uk and got a 2:1 .. and I have found it really hard to get a job due to so many people here in the UK having a degree and going to uni. The jobs just are not availiable. Therefore sometimes I feel that it may have been easier if I had worked my way up from the bottom in an organisation. Thats what I keep telling my brother LOL He s currently doing his GCSEs and has to decide what he want to do.

You still need to work your way up an organisation EVen when you have a degree. As I said more people have more than one degree or plus professional designations, much more competitive these days. Don't give up though, there bound to be something for you.