Scary "good" Norfolk - Side-by-side comps

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
I posted yesterday on the AT Dooney thread after finding a listing for a Dooney Norfolk bag. I knew the bag was fake but some of the details were so close (and so rarely faked) that I wanted more opinions.

Ultimately, the fake listing ended up being pulled. In the meantime, I saved pictures, found a listing for an authentic bag with great pictures and requested permission from the seller (of the authentic bag) to post the comps.

Now that Salearea has given me permission, I'm posting the side-by-sides of the fake vs. authentic.

The purpose of this post is to point out that there are some 5-star fakes out there and to beware. Often, the differences/problems aren't obvious until you look at them side by side.

And thank you, salearea, for having so many great pictures that allowed me to do this comparison and for granting permission to do so.

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkfront.png

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkback.png

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkbottomfeet.png

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkclose.png

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkinside.png

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkinsidepocket.png

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkRWBtag.png

debisfree2010fakevssaleareaauthdooneynorfolkside.png

I spotted a BUNCH of fake Dooneys at TJ Maxx about 6 months ago. I actually emailed Dooney to let them know that the counterfeits were being sold at TJ Maxx. I didn't get a response. They all had an oval "seal" on the front that said Norwalk CT I believe. I knew they were fakes as soon as I saw them. I've been a Dooney girl for 15 years and I know they never made bags like that. Unfortunately they also sell fake Dooneys at some of those purse parties. My mom bought one for me...she was so proud of herself for getting me a deal, I didn't have the heart to tell her. It was in the DB quilt fabric. Upon doing some research I found out that the tassel totes and some other fabric bags are made in Mexico. Apparently some group takes the "leftover" fabric and uses it with fake leather trim to make counterfeits. That's why you always have to look twice when buying on ebay.

TJ Maxx doesn't sell fakes HOWEVER they do have customers who do a switcheroo. (I've seen it happen.) TJ's and Marshalls buy Coach, KS, Dooney and other legitimate bags from either the companies when the items are discontinued or from other legitimate sources.

Unfortunately, the retailer doesn't have staff who is trained to recognize fakes so if a dishonest buyer buys a bag from them, switches tags and returns a fake, most of the employees don't recognize the switch so they accept the return, refund the buyer and put the return back on the sales floor.

When I've seen this happen, I've spoken to managers, told them why the bag is fake and in every instance, the manager has removed the fake and returned it to their home office. If you see fakes in the stores, it's not because they're doing it knowingly. They were scammed.