Scarves SCARVES, ladies ..... How many?

As promised here are 16 of my Qalamdan scarves. 9x 1990 colourways and 7x 2000 colourways, distinguishable by their tag size. The finesse prints are from 2000. The prints from 1990 are darker than the prints from 2000, perhaps one series was Spring/Summer and the other was Autumn/Winter? Happy new and best wishes for 2019, Hermes theme of the year is dreams!

:love:

As promised here are 16 of my Qalamdan scarves. 9x 1990 colourways and 7x 2000 colourways, distinguishable by their tag size. The finesse prints are from 2000. The prints from 1990 are darker than the prints from 2000, perhaps one series was Spring/Summer and the other was Autumn/Winter? Happy new and best wishes for 2019, Hermes theme of the year is dreams!
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Reactions: PersianMeow
Not Persian in subject, but Alice Shirley's Dans Un Jardin Anglais takes its inspiration from the painting techniques used in Persian Miniatures.
I have seen this scarf in books and it did ring out to me due to the style of painting, it looks Persian enough for me to collect. For example Turandot might appear to most as a non-Persian scarf, however from an etymology perspective Turan-dot means daughter of Turan where Turan is the central Asian region (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and some parts of Afghanistan) of what was the Persian empire and -dot is short form for the Farsi dokhtar (the root of daughter in English or tochter in German). If you would like to learn more on Turan, please lookup Shahnameh. Thank you for highlighting Dans Un Jardin Anglais.

Last edited:
And as a man, I was fortunate enough to also acquire a rare Qalamdan Hermes scarf tie, so hopefully on one occasion my wife and I can have matching Hermes accessories.

Attachments

• F80BB3EF-FED5-4D10-9081-90AB96E038CF.jpeg
    F80BB3EF-FED5-4D10-9081-90AB96E038CF.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 425
I just fell in love with scarf collecting this summer in 2018. I am building a collection of scarves - perhaps 45 different designs - that resonate with my Persian/Iranian origin. Hoping to write a book about the experience as a means of sharing lessons about the designs and my heritage. Suspect most of my scarves will end up framed to become a travelling exhibition so that others can appreciate the artform.

Your questions:
1. How many do you have?
2. What was your first scarf?
3. What is the oldest scarf in your collection?
4. What pattern do you have the most of?
5. Most predominant color in your collection?
6. Worst/most bizzare pattern ever issued?

My questions:
7. What is the scarf you know of that would be your next purchase?
8. What is the scarf you know of that you have never seen an image of?

My answers:
1. 115+ and counting silk twill carre 90, one chiffon stole, one cashmere/silk 90 carre, one cashmere/silk 140, two silk 140 carre, one silk twill rectangular opera scarf 185x45
2. Persepolis in Pink, thought I would surprise my wife, ended up surprising myself as I have collected so many
3. 1956 Chat Persans by Xavier Poret, originally hadn't planned to include this in my collection but once I saw it up close, it is an incredilbe print. 1966 Ispahan
4. Qalamdan, currently on 25 with about 10 colour palettes, of which 5 are finesse prints (black on ivory, brown on off-white, teal on silver-white).
5. Orange
6. The silk twill rectangular opera scarf is a Scheherazade with Turqoise main colour. It is unlike anything I have seen as it is literally two scarves length, plus 5cm undyed in between, fold over and seamlessly sewn with no hemline.
7. Nations Unies or O.N.U. 1952 credited to H. Grygkar but have also seen B. Louis mentioned.
8. Faisans Persans 1964 by Madame La Torre

I do love your headlong H journey :love:and your very unique collection based on your Persian roots.
You write so well and have acquired a lot of knowledge in a vedy short time.I find the historic side of the silks fascinating .
Have you erred from the Psrsian tbeme yet?
And do gou wear them?

I do love your headlong H journey :love:and your very unique collection based on your Persian roots.
You write so well and have acquired a lot of knowledge in a vedy short time.I find the historic side of the silks fascinating .
Have you erred from the Psrsian tbeme yet?
And do gou wear them?
Thank you for your kind message of support. It has been a journey so far of making friends, and a real spirit of community as a result.
I have erred from the Persian theme on two occasions, one is British Heraldry (1981) by Vladimir Rybaltchenko, which is my year of birth and having lived for 33 years in the U.K. I wanted something to reflect this part of my life. The other is Cendrion (1972), it captures the graphics design brilliance of Karen Swildens, with whom I became familiar after a Persian themed Ritote (1978) sometime called Rhytons, picture attached.
I don’t wear the scarves personally, although as mentioned I do have a Qalamdan tie which I am hoping to showcase of the Persian New Year festivities in March (the vernal equinox on 20 March). 7E154953-209B-4F8C-A51B-EA23BC73CF08.jpegC19CE4F8-A141-48A9-A86B-B3C2F6DD063A.jpegCAADBC1A-4231-4450-88A2-D3D6EF8FDC3B.jpeg

Hi Ladies, I am a new poster, but a long-time lurker. Hermes silk twills are my main focus, but I also collect the cashmeres, plisses, pochettes, mousselines. I LOVE talking about Hermes scarves, and I know 99% of the patterns name, and by sight. If you share the same passion, let's chat! :yahoo:

Some questions:
1. How many do you have?

My answers:
1. About 100 silk twills
2. Vive le Vent (1995) in orange. I was bowled over by the intricate shading, the layers of silkscreens, the white opaque overlay. I actually felt dizzy from the beauty of such a thing! I went back the next day for the lime green, and the obsession began.
3. The oldest scarf I have is a purple 1988 Poesie Persane, purchased from another collector.
4. The patterns I have the most of is Rocking Horse (7).
5. Most predominent color? Blue.
6. I would have to say Magie de Mains rank high.

Any other questions or comments you have, feel free to post them here! Like I said, I can't get enough scarf talk! :graucho:
Twill Seeker is such an awesome name! Your Poesie Persane sounds different to the 6x 1970 scarves that I have, and obviously must be a different colourway to my 2x 2001s (bottom-right and 2nd from bottom-left). Was 1988 the year that you purchased the item from another dealer? If so then that makes your oldest scarf from 1970. Would you love to see the colourway.

Twill Seeker is such an awesome name! Your Poesie Persane sounds different to the 6x 1970 scarves that I have, and obviously must be a different colourway to my 2x 2001s (bottom-right and 2nd from bottom-left). Was 1988 the year that you purchased the item from another dealer? If so then that makes your oldest scarf from 1970. Would you love to see the colourway.
@PersianMeow
Twill Seeker is no longer an active member. She joined tpf on Christmas Day 2008, and dropped off the radar after Jan 31st 2009. Hopefully she still lurks and will see your request.

A happy new year to you too!:flowers:Many thanks for the glorious picture of your collection! A stunning collection and the colors are fabulous!:ps:

Thank you for your kind message of support. It has been a journey so far of making friends, and a real spirit of community as a result.
I have erred from the Persian theme on two occasions, one is British Heraldry (1981) by Vladimir Rybaltchenko, which is my year of birth and having lived for 33 years in the U.K. I wanted something to reflect this part of my life. The other is Cendrion (1972), it captures the graphics design brilliance of Karen Swildens, with whom I became familiar after a Persian themed Ritote (1978) sometime called Rhytons, picture attached.
I don’t wear the scarves personally, although as mentioned I do have a Qalamdan tie which I am hoping to showcase of the Persian New Year festivities in March (the vernal equinox on 20 March). View attachment 4294271View attachment 4294272View attachment 4294273
Is this nawruz? (sp) A perfect time to wear your tie and your DW her beautiful scarf!:flowers:
Your pictures are so artistic! Thank you for sharing your collection!:flowers:

B0CF757C-841F-4BE3-87A1-6E8CF328E004.jpeg
Is this nawruz? (sp) A perfect time to wear your tie and your DW her beautiful scarf!:flowers:
Your pictures are so artistic! Thank you for sharing your collection!:flowers:
Persian New Year is called New Day, and transliterates from Persian as Nawruz. In fact the palace of Persepolis was specifically a ceremonial palace for celebrating the new year, and all civilisations would offer their New Years gift to the Persian king, the king of kings. I have attached a few of my Persepolis scarves, this is the design that originally fit me collecting.

View attachment 4299677
Persian New Year is called New Day, and transliterates from Persian as Nawruz. In fact the palace of Persepolis was specifically a ceremonial palace for celebrating the new year, and all civilisations would offer their New Years gift to the Persian king, the king of kings. I have attached a few of my Persepolis scarves, this is the design that originally fit me collecting.
I just love your pictures! Very cool! Your collection is fantastic, historical and very artistic! Thank you for sharing!!:flowers:

Hi Ladies, I am a new poster, but a long-time lurker. Hermes silk twills are my main focus, but I also collect the cashmeres, plisses, pochettes, mousselines. I LOVE talking about Hermes scarves, and I know 99% of the patterns name, and by sight. If you share the same passion, let's chat! :yahoo:

Some questions:
1. How many do you have?

My answers:
1. About 100 silk twills
2. Vive le Vent (1995) in orange. I was bowled over by the intricate shading, the layers of silkscreens, the white opaque overlay. I actually felt dizzy from the beauty of such a thing! I went back the next day for the lime green, and the obsession began.
3. The oldest scarf I have is a purple 1988 Poesie Persane, purchased from another collector.
4. The patterns I have the most of is Rocking Horse (7).
5. Most predominent color? Blue.
6. I would have to say Magie de Mains rank high.

Any other questions or comments you have, feel free to post them here! Like I said, I can't get enough scarf talk! :graucho: