Scarfies! Should i pay above retail for mythologies des hommes?

luv2shophandbag

Shallow & Obsessed
Feb 5, 2007
Not being a scarf girl, I am almost completely unaware of what scarves are worth what prices. But occasionally, something catches my eye & heart.

I spotted a scarf called Mythologies Des Hommes on ebay, and have been emailing the seller after the auction ended with no bids. I don't know the name of the colorway, but it has blue around the edges. That's teh scarf in picture #1.

I offered and she countered at $375 shipped.

I ask because I have @3 plisses, and I only use one of them (that I bought used on ebay), 2 carres which I have never used, and 2 twillies which I never use. So I want to be able to recoup at least SOME of my investment if I find I don't love it as much as I think I do or if it looks ridiculous on me!

It's the design and the history in the images that pulls to me this one.
There is one on ebay right now that is in a colorway I like better, but she is asking $500!!! (That's the colorway in picture number 2)

Attachments

• 38f1_12.JPG
    38f1_12.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 170
  • f290_35.JPG
    f290_35.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 181
Ah yes the art of scarf collecting. The only advice I can give is you pay what it is worth to you. Certain designs like Rencontre Ocean, Geishas,Turandot Giraffes,and designs by dePoret can command an above retail price and get it.

I have not seen MdH below current retail, but that doesnt mean it doesn't exist or will not come up. If you love it, you will get it at whatever price you can afford and not loose your mind over.....

Or you can hope that H will at some point reissue it....and hope that the price then is not above what the seller is asking for now...

Oh, RC, I would NEVER pay $500 for that scarf! I think that seller is being ridiculous or is selling for someone else who wants to get full retail in her own pocket. Just trying to say that I think the colorway (at least for me) determines wh much I would actually use the scarf, even more so than the design....

luv2shop, MdH is a Kermit Oliver design and his designs are quite coveted by many scarfies, for a variety of reasons, including the intricacy of his designs, the many color screens used, that he is the only commissioned U.S. artist who designs scarves for H, etc. That's why the one seller may be seeking $500 for their colorway on eBay. On the other hand, the scarf collecting market has been hit by the economic downtown just like everything else and it's now a buyer's market. Scarves that once sold for say, $500, a year ago are lucky to go for retail. But I agree with the others who have advised you here: if the iris168 colorway is not the scarf colorway of your dreams, it is definitely not worth paying even $375 for it. Even at current retail, these babies are too expensive not to love and wear them.

luv2shophandbag, I would really hold out for a price that is more reasonable to you. $500 is a lot to pay.
Although this scarf is gorgeous, you need to be sure you are going to wear it, trust me, I have had so many mistakes with scarves.
But, I concur, that sometimes our hearts rule our heads, and we will just go for it, no matter what, and that is your decision.
Hope it all works out for you, and you get the scarf your heart really desires.
There are so many ways to tie a scarf that you really should be wearing yours, slapped wrists!! LOL.
I find just a really simple knot works for me and I have started to drag some of my 90cms from their bored slumber!!

Hi Love2shop, my opinion is: if you LOVE it, if it moves you, then get it. It is a rare scarf that doesn't come up for auction very often. I have over 100 scarves and i wear them only about 3 times a month - some have never even been out of the box. I buy them more as artwork - i view it as an investment in artwork. So, if you love it and can afford it - get it! What you have to weigh is the feeling of regret you might have if you don't end up with it. There is nothing worse than the pangs of regret, i can attest to that. :crybaby:

I would say: If you love it and it makes your heart sing, then get it. If you are doubting it for any reason, that's telling and walk away. Only get something you love, at any price point. If this isn't your "ideal" colourway, wait. One will come along. It always does in time.