Scarf problem........I think............

For me, scarves are worse than bags, a lot worse. I limit myself to 3-4 bags a year easily, and most years don't even make the quota. But scarves, sigh. I wish I lived in Europe where women wear scarves all the time and I don't have to feel so guilty about my "little problem". I mean most women in this country admit freely to being addicted to shoes and most men accept it as a fact. Most of my friends buy 10-15 pairs of shoes a year and they don't feel like they overspent at all. A pair of designer shoes are quite comparable to H scarves in prices.

I hear ya..:yes:

The way I get around these things (and I love my H scarves) is to only buy them when I am traveling internationally. This limits how much I spend, gets me a memento to remember the trip, and keeps my collection manageable. That said, I probably miss out on the latest designs etc...

Your scarf stash ShopMom, is a little respite from the hectic pace of life, non?

I encourage that. (yes, another enabler, here...)

1. Buy only colorways that you know will work for you, with the exception of those designs that really strike you in the heart and you fall in love with a colorway that may not be suitable for your skintone but will make you happy looking at it or if you had it framed; i.e., my Natsuno Hidaka scarves....

3. I generally buy scarves to bring out the colors in my existing bag collection. This could be totally against Fashion 101 rules, but who cares? I love it when a scarf has colors that really pulls a whole outfit together and accentuates the color of a bag or some other aspect of your wardrobe.

Totally with you on both of these, orchids! In fact, I try to limit scarf buying to only these criteria. There are many scarves I've seen that I LOVE but know they'd do nothing for me so I force myself to let them go. I can't wear warm browns/orange etc near my face, though many of the nicest scarves are warm-toned.

I actually don't think it's against Fashion 101 rules at all - LOL! The best use of scarves IMO is when they pull your outfit together, especially when you want to carry a bag which is a different colour from your clothes. When wearing all black and carrying a Rouge H bag, for instance, I think that wearing a scarf that has some rouge in it will make it a total "outfit," KWIM? I think of my scarves as wardrobe items just like jackets or any other clothing. :smile:

you're not the only scarf junkie, shopmom. me too. scarfs r beautiful. since i'm a muslim, i've a great advantage. one day, i'll be putting on a hijab where i need 2 wear a scarf everyday. 4 different events & outfits, i put on a different scarf. i won't be wearing plain black scarf all the time. arab women do that but not asians like me.:smile: now, i use scarf as tops, accessory 2 my bag, headband or belt.

the angels have open my heart...i've been experimenting myself with the hijab lately.:rolleyes: soon or may not be soon, dior24's sig below will be a woman with a hijab.;) shld i put on a purdah? :confused1:

well D, you introduced me to these beautiful scarves and now I am somewhat addicted myself. I never even wore scarves before I discovered Hermes scarves. I thought they were just too sophisticated for my lifestyle (and they are) but I love them and I truly think they are beautiful just to look at. I have bought maybe 15 over the last four months but not all retail and some over, but they bring me just as much joy as a bag so, don't worry about it as long as they are not just sitting there. those that are, well I'd recycle them.

Loren, you are in Washington state? Do you wear your scarves? I just so rarely see anyone dress like that in the northwest. Mine just stay in the drawer which is too bad since they are so beautiful. Wish I had some snazzy place to wear them...

Oh MAN! I had to go do some "wife/mother" things like make dinner and missed all this wonderful thread!!!!

Well, thank GOD I'm not alone......feeling a little overwhelmed there for a moment when I realized that not only did I have four scarves coming this week but one of my TDF-I-MUST-HAVE-IT-NOW scarves is up for sale on ebay AS WE SPEAK and how could I resist it?????? I mean really.....

...i might just have to BIN......and put the agony behind me......

Luckily for my bank account, there aren't that many scarf designs that I really love, so I limit myself to those that I feel I can't do without! There are two or three vintage ones that I have to get, but I still haven't found them in the right colorways... Also, since I've still got three bags that are on their way withing the next year, I've made a point of spending as little as possible on other H items until I've finished with bags (finished is a BIG word!:P ) After that I'll concentrate on other H items, such as looking seriously for these vintage scarves I want, and various small leather items which are on my list....I have to set myself some boundaries or I would be in REAL trouble...My biggest torture is Ebay: I use my DH's account (who obviously DOES NOT want me to spend) to sell my things on Ebay, but it limits the buying enormously as he obviously gets to know about it! I can't tell you how frustrating it is, but, as I said before, if I don't give myself boundaries, I'd be buying the whole day long!!!!

Oh MAN! I had to go do some "wife/mother" things like make dinner and missed all this wonderful thread!!!!

Well, thank GOD I'm not alone......feeling a little overwhelmed there for a moment when I realized that not only did I have four scarves coming this week but one of my TDF-I-MUST-HAVE-IT-NOW scarves is up for sale on ebay AS WE SPEAK and how could I resist it?????? I mean really.....

...i might just have to BIN......and put the agony behind me......
I know, I know!!! Go get that scarf, D! It rarely pops up.

Sorry.................I know I'm not helping any, but there's a reason I'm never on the Slowing down thread or the Hermes rehab thread. It's because I don't have a problem. Nope! No problem whatsoever!!!!!

Oh do!...they're a terrible addiction...I can just see a scarf junkie, outside Hermes after closing time...lying in the gutter...a paramedic administering adreneline to get her pver her overdose.......it's a real addiction!

Oh for the love of all that's holy! I was hoping no one saw me. C**P!! That was a bad day, for sure. Fortunately eBay helped me through. I went to scarf rehab after that, but it really didn't take.

^^^And what's your limit, GGA? In the lower 4 digits?

LIMIT!?!?!

In a blatant, unapologetic ripoff of "Sierra Madre," I Don't Need No Stinkin Limits!!!

Actually, I hope I reach my satiation point before 4 digits. Not that I have a problem. I can quit anytime I want. I just think it might be harder to hide a 4 digit scarf collection from my family in my teeny-tiny little house. I'd have to actually throw some orange boxes away. Gulp.