Scarves Scarf of The Day 2023- Which Hermès scarf are you wearing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful scarf-mail yesterday means ‘ZOMG - I gotta wear it’, she screams! :woot:
But how to fit the theme?
Who cares?!? :roflmfao:
But you know I can find a way
(Were you scared?)
Paris today!!

Grand Prix Polo de Bagatelle
066385E3-10D2-41EB-BBEC-B7FECEA0AA0A.jpeg
Polo de Bagatelle was a Parisian sports club created in 1891 by a group of young men (probably), led by the Vicomte de Rochefoucauld and the Duc de Doudeville. They originally played on the lawn of Bagatelle, which was in the Bois de Boulogne. The club was so popular they moved to the current location in Paris, now called the Paris Polo Club.
C4C8D9CB-DEFB-47E1-84AD-2BD12639641E.jpeg

More silken explorations today beginning with Christiane Vauzelles’ Cheval Turc which depicts a horse and its valet dressed in Turkish attire at its center.
View attachment 5753014

In her Danse Pacifique, Laurence Bourthoumieux pays tribute to the culture of Papua New Guinea. The elaborate headdresses decorated with feathers and cowrie shells are characteristic of the art of the Pacific Islands
View attachment 5753015

Next, I present a selection of scarves which were created by Japanese artists and/or have a Japanese-themed design. First up, my favorite Hermès scarf, Aline Honoré’s Parures de Samourais which presents a meticulous rendition of a medieval samurai’s ornamented armor from the Edo period. The particular armor is inspired by pieces in the Ann & Gabriel Barbier‑Mueller Museum in Dallas, Texas.
View attachment 5753016

Another Japanese-inspired piece by Aline Honoré is L’Art du Sarasa. The design is a modern interpretation of the Indian calico textiles that were imported by the Portuguese into Japan. These “sarasa” calicos became ubiquitous in Japan as they grew to be reinterpreted in various different ways.
View attachment 5753017

Christiane Vauzelles’ Tsubas is a design that features embellished tsubas and tassels. A tsuba is a Japanese samurai’s sword hand guard.
View attachment 5753018

Françoise Façonnet’s Daimyo Princes du Soleil Levant (Daimyo Princes of the Rising Sun) is another design inspired by the legendary Japanese samurais. The Daimyo were feudal lords of ancient Japan who ruled from the 10th century to the early Meiji period in the middle 19th century. Their coats of arms depicted auspicious animals and plants like the crane and gingko. The design has at its center a tsuba encircled by samurai swords.

View attachment 5753019

One of Hermès’ most well-known Japanese-inspired designs is Anamorphées’ Ex Libris en Kimonos. The design incorporates the Hermès signature emblem in a patchwork pattern inspired by traditional Japanese kimonos found in the archives of the legendary Japanese fashion house Matsuzakaya in Kyoto.
View attachment 5753020

Les Beaux Jours de Bonsai was created by Catherine Baschet as a tribute to Japanese and East Asian art of growing and training miniature trees in small containers.
View attachment 5753021

Catherine Baschet’s Au Contre Courant (Swimming Up Stream) depicts Japanese carp swimming against the current on a river. The design illustrates the Japanese saying, Japanese saying, “the carp that swims upstream becomes a dragon.” The different design elements and style is drawn from traditional Japanese illustrations.
View attachment 5753022

Next up, the work of three Japanese artists…
Akira Yamaguchi’s Les Artisans d’Hermès envisions the world of Hermès, from its artisans and laborers working on all phases of fabrication and construction, to the Lyon factory, to the Paris FSH store, as a Japanese universe. He combines ancient Japanese motifs and styles such as the Heian period’s yamato-e with the humor and techniques of contemporary manga cartoon illustrations.
View attachment 5753023

The illustration of Kohei Kyomori’s Duo Cosmique features a couple in yin-yang arrangement with graphics inspired by traditional Japanese kimono fabrics. The patterns inspired by traditional textiles mix with Japanese cultural symbols such as the phoenix, tiger, peony, butterfly and koi and interpreted with a modern twist.
View attachment 5753024

Hajine Katagiri’s Chaque Rencontre est Unique is a tribute to the culture and beauty of the Land of the Rising Sun. The design features people wearing traditional garb as they reverentially gather at dusk and dawn. Mount Fuji appears in the distance, cranes adorn the corners and Japanese maple leaves decorate the borders
View attachment 5753025
The tour through Japan by way of H and @Living.la.vida.fifi is outstanding. I'm now suffering a minor case of wanderlust and carrelust! Not a bad thing. Piggy backing with my samouris which has been keeping me warm on a gray, drizzly day.

Samouris.jpg

I have seen your orange one and it is STUNNING.

It is such a lovely design and ties like a dream no matter what you do. Love your cw @MsMarzipan! And thank you, the corners are pretty on this one...

That is great @momasaurus -- thank you for the flat pic!

It will be fabulous on you @Lellabelle! I think you will be twins with @scarf1-- I had a very hard time choosing between the gris and the bleu ciel myself. It ties up so that you can pretty much highlight what you want.

That is a photo of one of our "Big Chiefs"-- there is a whole tradition of the Black Mardi Gras Indians in NOLA. The most amazing thing about their costumes is they sew them themselves including all that beading! Thank you @Cookiefiend...I love feathers & shells :winkiss:

I think you totally could rock that cw also, but it might be fun to seek out a Dallet Mustangs that your lovely one is homage too... @Karenska has a gorgeous one and I believe @Redbirdhermes also. I am searching for one now myself! Here's a flat pic:
View attachment 5753235

Just beautiful all and the scarf-on-site photo too @FA73 !! Such interesting travels...

:hugs: Love this one @Cookiefiend!

Love this! Sisters on this cute design @Forever Orange. Your cw is so lovely...

How can I not love this beautiful scarf @Snausages-- so happy it found its way back to you!

Thank you @Living.la.vida.fifi -- I'd love it anyway but the association raises the :heart: factor!

Beautiful as always @renee_nyc! Sisters-- love this design. How nice to have a special association with DH's background!

:faint: :faint: :faint: @Living.la.vida.fifi!

I have been to several of those locations and completely agree about your travel focus @Coco2606 -- the most recent one I saw was the new synagogue in Hungary. Stunning. Safe travels to you!

Yes, I agree, TPF is both a feast for the eyes, a happy place to share and be inspired and a perennial peril for the wallet @HermesEchidna! Congratulations on your VdGN and of course your polar bear pin was a must!

Gorgeous each and every one and I always love your styling @Forever Orange. I am drooling over your FoSA ensemble...

I've so been looking forward to this post and "traveling" to Japan with you! Parures de samouraïs is also my favorite H scarf. Duo cosmique is on my wish list

Your FI is stunning - what a beautiful scarf!!

Congratulations!
And thanks for the warning to avoid Polar Bears... except for the silken variety! :hrmm:

So many astonishing beautiful choices - twins or cousins on so many! Your Chaque Rencontre est Unique is lovely, what a calm and serene cw. :heart:

Gorgeous!
(also a fan of visiting religious buildings... Mr Cookie and all of my sons say when we travel "Not another church!! :wtf:)

Awesome - congratulations!!

oh my! All are so fabulous, but I love your Toucans - how fun is that!

The tour through Japan by way of H and @Living.la.vida.fifi is outstanding. I'm now suffering a minor case of wanderlust and carrelust! Not a bad thing. Piggy backing with my samouris which has been keeping me warm on a gray, drizzly day.
Thank you all so very much

SOTD Dômes célestes (awful light, sorry)
View attachment 5753052
This scarf is a tour of Europe in itself. It is composed of 18 domes, chapel or palace ceilings. It includes the domes of the Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis church in Paris, the new synagogue of Széged in Hungary, the great mosques of Cordoba and Constantinople, the church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Krakow or the audacious triple dome of the Valinotto sanctuary near Turin. When I travel, I love to admire the prowess of the builders and the religious buildings always have a unique energy and vibrancy. Have a great weekend (tonight I start my vacation!)
This is such an extraordinary design… This pink is fabulous

Hooray. The Grand Nord arrived just in time Yesterday to join the theme of the week and thus it had to be my sotd, even though I have not really tried all it’s posssibilities - so today it is Quick and dirty, but with a bear pair for balance.
Thank you to all of you who have mentioned a fourth arctic scarf to me, Expeditions polaires, - the Hunt has now started.
I have been in this lovely group for only a bit more than a month, and truly enjoy it. I also Think it brings me luck, as I have located three designs I have long been searching for during this time. It is tough on my wallet, but what a feast.
Have a great weekend everybody.

View attachment 5753082
Congrats! It is such an amazing design… That polar bear brooch is perfection with it

What a beautiful week! I am twin/sister with so many of you!!! Not a ton of time to play this week, so I am diving into the archives!

Flowers of South Africa
View attachment 5753119
View attachment 5753120

Kawa Ora
View attachment 5753121

Voyage en Etoffes
View attachment 5753122

Toucans de Paradis
View attachment 5753123

Reve d'Australie
View attachment 5753124
All soooo beautiful on you! I especially love the FOSA with the pink jacket

I had a more spring-like scarf chosen for today, however, it seems our March will be going out like a lion, with several inches of new snow expected by tonight. So, I'm heading to Japan for one of my warmer Kyoto marble scarves.

"It all started with the discovery of printed fabrics with intriguing motifs in archival album acquired by the house years ago. The technique used to make these motifs however, remained a mystery. It took several years of research to finally unveil the origins of the process: it was invented in the first half of 19th century by Switzerland, Germany, France... and yet it was in Japan that Hermès met the passionate artisans who inherited this know-how from their ancestor who had learnt it in Europe long ago. These artisans are the ones who made the Marble Silk scarf. The process used to create this scarf is unique executed entirely by hand." - Hermès

My scarf of the day is my Kyoto Marble Ex-Libris scarf, a 90 cm cashmere/silk blend.

View attachment 5753242
Such an extraordinary shawl

Traveling on horseback to Persia from my sickbed. Poesie Persane by Julia Abadie shows Persian noble figures in traditional dress surrounded by Persian floral motifs. But the scarf's title also harks back to Persian courtly love poetry-- particularly the verse romance such Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat, and the poems of Rumi, Hafez and Siraz to name just a few greats...
View attachment 5753337
I’ve always wanted this design as I so love the classic Persian poets

The greatest cultural divide many of us cross (as best we can) on a daily basis is the one between us and our animals. If I misinterpret my parrot’s signals there are definitely consequences ;)

View attachment 5753488
Such a colorful beauty

Beautiful scarf-mail yesterday means ‘ZOMG - I gotta wear it’, she screams! :woot:
But how to fit the theme?
Who cares?!? :roflmfao:
But you know I can find a way
(Were you scared?)
Paris today!!

Grand Prix Polo de Bagatelle
View attachment 5753648
Polo de Bagatelle was a Parisian sports club created in 1891 by a group of young men (probably), led by the Vicomte de Rochefoucauld and the Duc de Doudeville. They originally played on the lawn of Bagatelle, which was in the Bois de Boulogne. The club was so popular they moved to the current location in Paris, now called the Paris Polo Club.
View attachment 5753649
It is sooo fabulous… Congrats!

View attachment 5753705
Thank you so much! This was my first Samourais shawl and it remains my favorite

Some of my favorite Hermès designs are those inspired by India. France declared 1985-6 The Year of India and Hermès issued a series of fantastic designs featuring designs inspired by the art, culture and history of India. I own three of the four Indian inspired scarves designs from the 1985 Year of India…

One of these was Cathy Latham’s India which prominently features the goddess of wealth and prosperity, Lakshmi. The deity is surrounded by her court and India’s national emblems, the elephant, peacock, and lotus appear on the four corners.
3AE162B2-53D9-4670-ABFE-08DBF6C5AE41.jpeg

Loic Dubigeon’s Fantaisies Indiennes, also from 1985, is an exuberant tribute to India and its people. A tree of life inspired by the façades from the city of Mandawa appears in the center panel. The border is adorned with a parade of horses, elephants and real and fictional historical characters.
355A809B-E971-4CC2-955B-6DF9D72D339B.jpeg

Michel Duchene’s 1985 Chasse en Inde took its inspiration from an 18th century tapestry belonging to the Indian ambassador in Paris. The imagery features a hunt scene.
BAC477BF-413F-43ED-A9E2-461A7DEF8B02.jpeg

Hermès subsequently declared a thematic Year of India in 2008. I own four designs from that year. First, Benoit-Pierre Emery’s Indian Dust. This illustration depicts beautiful patterns in a pointillist style of dots that recall the colored pigments used during India’s yearly Holi celebrations. These dots create patterns of paisley and lotus flowers.
7C8BAA60-8E8F-4AE9-A722-22FE1312B4B1.jpeg

Virginie Jamin’s 2008 Dancing Pearls depicts a string of beads on strings swaying as they unravel. The Hermès description states that the design was inspired by a story the artist dreamed up in which an Indian woman leaves her country on a boat carrying with her only a pearl necklace. During a storm at sea her necklace begins to spin and unravel and finally she is left with only one pearl
B11A8FBF-0673-4566-ACC5-A481B41C060C.jpeg

Another 2008 Year of India design is the very special Carré Kantha whose design and patterns are inspired by Bengali traditional kantha cloth. Kantha cloth is a classical type of embroidered fabric produced by cultures the Indian states along the Bay of Bengal. The term “kantha” simply means “patched cloth” alluding to the practice of creating decorated blankets out of scraps that are embroidered together using a straight, running stitch. I owned a green mousseline Carre Kantha and just got this anthracite CW a couple of weeks ago.
11D2FCEB-F917-432B-A28B-07E92E780D41.jpeg

Another 2008 Year of India design is Aline Honore’s Coupons Indiens. The design depicts a layout of various Indian textile swatches creating a dynamic collage
5AB9F8CC-A715-49B3-99B6-5ADF301F174C.jpeg

Annie Faivre created Le Jardin de la Maharani as a tribute to the Maharani of Jaipur, an enlightened woman who devoted her life to supporting and defending the women of India beginning in the 1940s. She became a Member of Parliament, elected by the largest majority in Indian history. Since she loved gardens and flowers, this design depicting a stylized garden in traditional Mughal design.
3CE920F5-A97D-4FA9-83BA-32DACBFDFB01.jpeg

Henri d’Origny’s Arabesques is inspired by the elaborately adorned Indian textiles that feature rich embroideries in swirling patterns called arabesques. These ornate designs often adorn the borders of saris
02CF485E-DB65-43AE-BDD6-F03918B8CF96.jpeg

As in her Coupons Indiens, Aline Honore drew inspiration from Indian textiles for her Fleurs d’Indiennes. The design is a tribute to the beauty, variety and creativity of Indian textiles, presenting a composition of fabric patterned swatches shaped like flowers. The patterns are inspired by the painted or printed cottons produced in India at the end of the sixteenth century and that became widely popular in Europe. This is pic is from a week ago when I wore my Fleurs d’Indiennes to a wonderful art exhibition featuring contemporary jewelry designers.
BE51592D-0CE5-49BD-B80B-6C45F89118A6.jpeg

And, on to the Moghul Empire and Persian carpets. Pierre Marie’s Tapis Persans is a modern interpretation of historical motifs that features geometric shapes, decorated medallions, paisley, arabesques and stylized flora present in traditional and antique Persian carpets. The Hermès description states that some rugs were named for the painters who depicted them in their work… “the distinctive, so-called Lotto carpets, with their dark red ground and bold arabesque designs, are named for the artist Lorenzo Lotto (1480-1556). This carré presents a particularly fine example, inspired by a prayer rug from northern India.” Pierre Marie was inspired by the Indian archives at the Museum of Textile Printing in Mulhouse, France. This pic is from last Sunday when I wore this one to a Seraphic Fire ancient music concert
B571EDD0-6384-460D-A954-3EF3768B40B7.jpeg

Lastly, I would like to share a couple of designs inspired by the history and art of Ancient Egypt. Both Cathy Latham’s Egypte and Joachim Metz’s Tresors du Nil celebrate the amazing ancient treasures of Egypt and the Nile found in early 20th century excavations and which included treasures inside Tutankhamun’s burial chamber.
6689EDAE-4D3D-4AC8-9090-934696B8D49A.jpeg

Thank you all the replies that suggested what I should bring with me during the EU trip.
i am finding cotton beach pereo ( both version long and short are helpful , fun, light, easy to take care. I do also bring one 140 CSGM but have not use it yet.
Today’s choice with three different ways depending on the weather of the day:giggle::girlsigh:
( can someone help me to recall the name of this pareo please. I try to find it in my phone but …..too many photos. )

394F8666-EE3D-494E-B36F-84A356B89A65.jpeg

So i
Good morning. North again with Ledoux’s Grønland. One of my first scarves back in the days. Love the detail of the Ø in Grønland, which is the Danish spelling. If made today though, I hope it would have been called Kalaallit Nunaat.
And as the Vie du Grand Nord is on it’s way as grail mail heading my way, I am soon the very happy custodian of three Arctic scarves. Which make me ask: are there any arctic designs which I do not know about? Then please let me know! (And let us disregard that rare ANTarctic beast of Shackelton…which will probably forever be beyond my reach).
Have a great day everybody.

View attachment 5752423
So is your third La Regarde de l’Artique, Hermes Echidna? This is a beautiful pairing of blouse and scarf! Love those grey and soft golds.

Reactions: Maedi
Some of my favorite Hermès designs are those inspired by India. France declared 1985-6 The Year of India and Hermès issued a series of fantastic designs featuring designs inspired by the art, culture and history of India. I own three of the four Indian inspired scarves designs from the 1985 Year of India…

One of these was Cathy Latham’s India which prominently features the goddess of wealth and prosperity, Lakshmi. The deity is surrounded by her court and India’s national emblems, the elephant, peacock, and lotus appear on the four corners.
View attachment 5753919

Loic Dubigeon’s Fantaisies Indiennes, also from 1985, is an exuberant tribute to India and its people. A tree of life inspired by the façades from the city of Mandawa appears in the center panel. The border is adorned with a parade of horses, elephants and real and fictional historical characters.

Michel Duchene’s 1985 Chasse en Inde took its inspiration from an 18th century tapestry belonging to the Indian ambassador in Paris. The imagery features a hunt scene.
View attachment 5753921

Hermès subsequently declared a thematic Year of India in 2008. I own four designs from that year. First, Benoit-Pierre Emery’s Indian Dust. This illustration depicts beautiful patterns in a pointillist style of dots that recall the colored pigments used during India’s yearly Holi celebrations. These dots create patterns of paisley and lotus flowers.
View attachment 5753922

Virginie Jamin’s 2008 Dancing Pearls depicts a string of beads on strings swaying as they unravel. The Hermès description states that the design was inspired by a story the artist dreamed up in which an Indian woman leaves her country on a boat carrying with her only a pearl necklace. During a storm at sea her necklace begins to spin and unravel and finally she is left with only one pearl
View attachment 5753923

Another 2008 Year of India design is the very special Carré Kantha whose design and patterns are inspired by Bengali traditional kantha cloth. Kantha cloth is a classical type of embroidered fabric produced by cultures the Indian states along the Bay of Bengal. The term “kantha” simply means “patched cloth” alluding to the practice of creating decorated blankets out of scraps that are embroidered together using a straight, running stitch. I owned a green mousseline Carre Kantha and just got this anthracite CW a couple of weeks ago.
View attachment 5753924

Another 2008 Year of India design is Aline Honore’s Coupons Indiens. The design depicts a layout of various Indian textile swatches creating a dynamic collage
View attachment 5753925

Annie Faivre created Le Jardin de la Maharani as a tribute to the Maharani of Jaipur, an enlightened woman who devoted her life to supporting and defending the women of India beginning in the 1940s. She became a Member of Parliament, elected by the largest majority in Indian history. Since she loved gardens and flowers, this design depicting a stylized garden in traditional Mughal design.
View attachment 5753926

Henri d’Origny’s Arabesques is inspired by the elaborately adorned Indian textiles that feature rich embroideries in swirling patterns called arabesques. These ornate designs often adorn the borders of saris
View attachment 5753927

As in her Coupons Indiens, Aline Honore drew inspiration from Indian textiles for her Fleurs d’Indiennes. The design is a tribute to the beauty, variety and creativity of Indian textiles, presenting a composition of fabric patterned swatches shaped like flowers. The patterns are inspired by the painted or printed cottons produced in India at the end of the sixteenth century and that became widely popular in Europe. This is pic is from a week ago when I wore my Fleurs d’Indiennes to a wonderful art exhibition featuring contemporary jewelry designers.
View attachment 5753928

And, on to the Moghul Empire and Persian carpets. Pierre Marie’s Tapis Persans is a modern interpretation of historical motifs that features geometric shapes, decorated medallions, paisley, arabesques and stylized flora present in traditional and antique Persian carpets. The Hermès description states that some rugs were named for the painters who depicted them in their work… “the distinctive, so-called Lotto carpets, with their dark red ground and bold arabesque designs, are named for the artist Lorenzo Lotto (1480-1556). This carré presents a particularly fine example, inspired by a prayer rug from northern India.” Pierre Marie was inspired by the Indian archives at the Museum of Textile Printing in Mulhouse, France. This pic is from last Sunday when I wore this one to a Seraphic Fire ancient music concert
View attachment 5753929

Lastly, I would like to share a couple of designs inspired by the history and art of Ancient Egypt. Both Cathy Latham’s Egypte and Joachim Metz’s Tresors du Nil celebrate the amazing ancient treasures of Egypt and the Nile found in early 20th century excavations and which included treasures inside Tutankhamun’s burial chamber.
View attachment 5753930
Just an amazing array of beauty, Fifi! Blown over by a few - Tapis Persans, especially, which I’d love to acquire in a moussie, Chasse en Inde, Coupons, oh my! Love the Dancing Pearls story. Hermes is a bottomless pit of inspired art! I must check out Seraphic Fire, you mention that emsemble quite frequently.

Today's SOTD is Danse Pacifique, issued in SS 2021 and designed by the beloved Toutsy (Laurence Bourthoumieux) of Mythiques Phoenix, Flamingo Party and Central Park fame, to name just a few very familiar ones.
From the Story Behind on H.com:
"Headdresses adorned with colorful feathers are delicately placed below shells characteristic of the Pacific Ocean - in particular cowries, which are recognizable due to their oval shape and jagged center. Until the beginning of the 20th century, these were the main currency of exchange in the archipelagos and they often adorned ceremonial costumes. Here, the designer Laurence Bourthoumieux pays tribute to the culture of Papua New Guinea. More than 700 different languages coexist in this part of the world, which is also renowned for the diversity of its landscapes, tropical forests, mountains and savannah."
I love this bright scarf; it also is evocative for me of the ceremonial feathered and beaded costumes hand sewn by New Orleans' Mardi Gras Indians.
View attachment 5752140
View attachment 5752141

View attachment 5752151
What a marvelous scarf, Lkb, and such an astute cross-cultural observation. I LOVE how you knotted this beauty, and such a gorgeous cw. And that NO ceremonial dress - just amazing. The parades of these adorned must be breathtaking.

I live in Europe so I guess cowboys and cowgirls are a whole different culture to me :smile:

Today I am wearing my new to me Les Mustangs II. I saw it on this forum on @Redbirdhermes who wore it so nicely and I loved it, so I could not resist.
Gorgeous and festive cw, redheaddem. LMII is such an unusual and fun reinvention/adaptation of a naturalistic design. I first saw it, too, on @Redbirdhermes and I loved it.

Today's scarf, already depicted by some of you in different CWs, takes us to southern China:smile:. Cent Plis de Miao depicts a skirt traditionally worn by tribeswomen from the Miao culture. The third picture is from an exhibit on Miao clothing and jewelry at the Minneapolis Institute of Art a few years ago.
As it happens, I also have a Miao traditional silver necklace. Needless to say, the scarf is much easier to wear than the necklace, which remains hanging nicely on my bedroom wall.
The scarf, which was a gift, was not love at first sight for me. I loved the theme, and the art (I worship Aline Honoré!) but I am not fond of wide borders and found the vert cyprès/cypress green intimidating. But I've grown fond of it over the years, and often reach for it to illuminate the winter and mid-season neutrals.

View attachment 5751892

View attachment 5751893

View attachment 5751894
Love this post and your scarf and necklace, FA73. The scarf with your buttery jacket is spectacular.

Reactions: FA73
Status
Not open for further replies.