Scarf Etiquette & Style

lola73

Jan 1, 2010
I am a recent convert to the scarf as a "Thing of Beauty" instead of something that was just designed to keep my neck warm on freezing winter days;)

It started when I was lucky enough to get my hands on my Mulberry Leopard Degrade Scarf. This is large, soft and beautiful. It actually makes me feel happy when I wear it, if such a thing is possible from a mere scarf. :biggrin:

As I am a new convert though - I would love some tips on how you wear your scarves and maybe even some photos of your lovely Mulberry scarves. I won't tell if a few non-Ms sneak in.

How many different ways do you wear yours and how do you put them on?

So far my method is very simple - start at the front, round the back and the long bits hanging at the front. What else can I do???

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,441
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,344
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,232
Looking great Lola!
Wait for Ratrat - she is the queen of scarves! OhFlossie as well. KLP, Corries too, oh, and IWANB's recent pics...actually, lots of smart scarf ladies here at Mulberry!

I rarely go out without a scarf but am not a matchy matchy person, well maybe deep down I am. Just found myself explaining the virtues of being colour-coordinated to dd...

I like when some little accent of the scarf picks up something I am wearing, nail varnish, hat (its snowing here after all) or bag etc. Not all at once. I also wear scarves in colours that are the most flattering to my skin/face.
A scarf is a fab way to bring in a pop of colour as well and to jazz up a plain outfit.It just makes most outfits a bit more interesting imo.
Its too dark now for me to take pics but I shall take some scarf-bag pics tomorrow or over the weekend. Exciting stuff!

Oh, and a scarf I have been lusting after (after seeing it on one of the mum's in school) is;
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/96101

a tad over my budget though....

Good thread, Lola and great link, ratters!

I wear my 2 mulberry scarves as you have your leopard one on in your pictures, Lola. This is how they look best on me, I think.

My bargain H&M scarves look best doubled up then looped through at the neck. Depending on mood, I sometimes tie the excess up, other times I just wear the excess dangling long. It depends on my outfit! I think my H&M ones suit this style of wearing because they are crimped (i.e. sewn in a wavy fashion!) rather than a flat piece (like my Mulberry ones), iykwim.

I am a scarf novice though so best not pay too much attention to me, lol xx

Looking great Lola!
Wait for Ratrat - she is the queen of scarves! OhFlossie as well. KLP, Corries too, oh, and IWANB's recent pics...actually, lots of smart scarf ladies here at Mulberry!

I rarely go out without a scarf but am not a matchy matchy person, well maybe deep down I am. Just found myself explaining the virtues of being colour-coordinated to dd...

I like when some little accent of the scarf picks up something I am wearing, nail varnish, hat (its snowing here after all) or bag etc. Not all at once. I also wear scarves in colours that are the most flattering to my skin/face.
A scarf is a fab way to bring in a pop of colour as well and to jazz up a plain outfit.It just makes most outfits a bit more interesting imo.
Its too dark now for me to take pics but I shall take some scarf-bag pics tomorrow or over the weekend. Exciting stuff!

Oh, and a scarf I have been lusting after (after seeing it on one of the mum's in school) is;

I love this scarf too! But like you say it is out of our price range :sad:

Wow, that Yves Saint Laurent scarf is beautiful, but the PRICE! :wtf:

I usually wear scarves as you are in your pics, Lola. Sometimes I knot the ends as well (today, in fact). Depends what I'm wearing.

Ratrat, that link is really helpful! I love the looks with the blue flower (pin?): #29 and #30. Also loving #27 for formal occassions.

That's what I was looking at today Annaswe - that very scarf!!! I was also checking out other scarves and thinking about how they might match my bags. There are some absolutely gorgeous ones out there at the moment. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

lol Annaswe, I usually do only 2-3 patterns -

Here is one sample of the useful link - You can click and see how these are done. (Some of them are too obvious, I know! :biggrin:)

I love my 'Pretzel' way best, which is No.17 in here... No.20 is good as well, makes scarf instant snood. (If you need to know exactly what it says, just ask! :P)

http://cep-shop.jp/hpgen/HPB/categories/807.html

Thanks for the link Ratrat - I will check that out. Don't forget to show us some of your modelling photos - just don't let your dh know about them ;)

Good thread, Lola and great link, ratters!

I wear my 2 mulberry scarves as you have your leopard one on in your pictures, Lola. This is how they look best on me, I think.

My bargain H&M scarves look best doubled up then looped through at the neck. Depending on mood, I sometimes tie the excess up, other times I just wear the excess dangling long. It depends on my outfit! I think my H&M ones suit this style of wearing because they are crimped (i.e. sewn in a wavy fashion!) rather than a flat piece (like my Mulberry ones), iykwim.

I am a scarf novice though so best not pay too much attention to me, lol xx

Well in your photos yesterday you certainly didn't look like a novice! Will you dig out the photos and add them here too? Pretty please!

I love this scarf too! But like you say it is out of our price range :sad:

It's a good job it is sold out!

Great thread and fantastic link RatRat. I had no idea :idea:...
I do wear scarves - non designers - and mostly wear them pashmina style. Through the big loop around your neck. I will defenitely try out some different knots!

Great thread and fantastic link RatRat. I had no idea :idea:...
I do wear scarves - non designers - and mostly wear them pashmina style. Through the big loop around your neck. I will defenitely try out some different knots!

TK maxx is a great hunting ground sometimes - it is hit and miss, but on a lucky day you can get a lovely scarf there - so far I found a beautiful Valentino scarf for my mum (she has no idea who Valentino is and thinks the name on the scarf means HER name!) for £35,
as well as Moschino, Versace, etc. for under £50... and non-branded 100% wool embellished scarves sent to tKMaxx from those little lovely expensive shops which I never dare to shop in.:nuts:

TK maxx is a great hunting ground sometimes - it is hit and miss, but on a lucky day you can get a lovely scarf there - so far I found a beautiful Valentino scarf for my mum (she has no idea who Valentino is and thinks the name on the scarf means HER name!) for £35,
as well as Moschino, Versace, etc. for under £50... and non-branded 100% wool embellished scarves sent to tKMaxx from those little lovely expensive shops which I never dare to shop in.:nuts:

I am just back from TK Maxx and spent an hour with the scarves. I got a fantastic Moschino for £19.99 down from £85 plus a couple of other £9.99 beauties. Quite a lot of Valentino from £200 down to £40 ish as you say Korzinka. I'll try and do a pic on the web cam of the Moschino. What a great thread!

Good tip Korzinka and it's probably easier to find scarves in TK Maxx then trying to rummage through the rails looking for a bargain!

EDIT - Just saw your comment Corries - looks like I'll be heading to TK Maxx.

I am just back from TK Maxx and spent an hour with the scarves. I got a fantastic Moschino for £19.99 down from £85 plus a couple of other £9.99 beauties. Quite a lot of Valentino from £200 down to £40 ish as you say Korzinka. I'll try and do a pic on the web cam of the Moschino. What a great thread!

Ooh good idea i will pop to TK Maxx tomorrow. :yahoo:

lola, you'll look fabulous no matter how you tie it up. I mostly make my 'styles' up.

But thanks rattie for the link. There's some styles on here I've never known how to do; and considering it's BITTER outside I'm definitely not leaving the house without a scarf these days.