Scared to Use (Need Advice)

I’m born and raised in NYC and still live here. I’d say very few areas are dangerous now and the ones that still are considered dangerous are A LOT better. There are some areas in each borough but make sure your DS knows where he is going and make sure you know too. NYC is huge and overwhelming but it’s very fun! If he’s in Manhattan he is going to be fine.

I don’t want to list the neighborhoods that might be dangerous because I don’t want to upset anyone that is from there in case they are reading this but I can DM if you’d like.
Not to become OT, I agree as well. I’m from CA but have made NYC my home for the past 16 years. The city is much better now but random things do happen in random neighborhoods. Being aware of your surroundings regardless of city or district is my best advice. NYC still takes my breath away.

Reactions: Yoshi1296
I’m born and raised in NYC and still live here. I’d say very few areas are dangerous now and the ones that still are considered dangerous are A LOT better. There are some areas in each borough but make sure your DS knows where he is going and make sure you know too. NYC is huge and overwhelming but it’s very fun! If he’s in Manhattan he is going to be fine.

I don’t want to list the neighborhoods that might be dangerous because I don’t want to upset anyone that is from there in case they are reading this but I can DM if you’d like.

Not to become OT, I agree as well. I’m from CA but have made NYC my home for the past 16 years. The city is much better now but random things do happen in random neighborhoods. Being aware of your surroundings regardless of city or district is my best advice. NYC still takes my breath away.

We have been going to the city multiple times a week since he was little, the problem is that I always drive. Taking the train is a PITA. The studios are easy enough because they’re so close, it’s the other lessons and auditions I’m not sure about (anywhere from Lincoln Center to the Financial District). He’s very situationally aware, as indeed there are always so many “interesting” things/people to see when one is out and about. He’d prefer to do Citibike over the subway, though.

But this is OT and I’m sorry about that. I think it’s best to be aware of your surroundings all the time. OP, I think you look fabulous with that B and should allow yourself to totally enjoy it, it may take some time, but each time you go for it, it will become more a part of you. [emoji92][emoji92]

I don’t know the exact surroundings of where you are based, but generally where I live, only carry mine around central london. No one bats an eyelid because there are so many others. If I have to travel to less affluent areas I will carry something more appropriate, there is no reason to make myself a moving target. I think generally as someone else said, be aware of your surroundings

Reactions: PJW5813
I say wear it ASAP. It's a gorgeous bag and you look great with it.

Don't be like me. I have a gorgeous Gold B that I got last November and it still hasn't seen the light of day. I'm not scared to carry her as I carry my other Bs regularly but I have no explanation for my hesitation. So I'm actively buying shoes and outfits that complement her to force me to use her.

BTW I visit NYC regularly and as a tourist from Texas who isn't used to walking anywhere, I carry a B everyday and haven't felt any extra attention or concern.

Last edited:
I understand your fear of "bad elements" out there. However, yolo right? So wear your B albeit with a good dose of precaution.
And I agree with everyone, to take baby steps. Take your B on small outings first and then you'll get used to having it with you all day.
Enjoy! Your B is too pretty! :heart:

Reactions: BBC
QF, I’m wondering what you would consider a very unsafe area....maybe we go to the same part of town? A little OT but am considering starting to let DS1 go by himself [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51] of course he doesn’t carry any H, but it always feels better walking with him because he’s man-sized.

Now I am curious what you both would consider an unsafe area in NYC. I left NYC a long time ago, but have always retained my "sketchy situation" detection senses.

Yes, I agree. And then there is the area north of Columbia University. Even the campus per se is in a somewhat sketchy area. I remember people were pricked by needles on the street there a long time ago.

I think NYC is overall much safer than might be rumored. When I talk about unsafe, I mean Brownsville (where I work) and East New York. These are demonstrably unsafe neighborhoods. Yes, purse grabbing around Penn Station happens, as well as other Manhattan tourist spots, but neighborhoods like the two above, or the West Bronx, are the ones where I just would not walk at night.
To stay on topic, though, the point of my post was that I think truly unsafe places aren't really made worse by a Birkin. Most thieves aren't like the "Sex and the City" mugger who demands "give me your Manolos!".

I think NYC is overall much safer than might be rumored. When I talk about unsafe, I mean Brownsville (where I work) and East New York. These are demonstrably unsafe neighborhoods. Yes, purse grabbing around Penn Station happens, as well as other Manhattan tourist spots, but neighborhoods like the two above, or the West Bronx, are the ones where I just would not walk at night.
To stay on topic, though, the point of my post was that I think truly unsafe places aren't really made worse by a Birkin. Most thieves aren't like the "Sex and the City" mugger who demands "give me your Manolos!".

Yes I was thinking about those 3 exact areas as well. Definitely best to avoid.

And I agree, overall the city is very safe. I watch the local news every night and most of the problems occur in those areas mentioned by QuelleFromage.

I say wear it ASAP. It's a gorgeous bag and you look great with it.

Don't be like me. I have a gorgeous Gold B that I got last November and it still hasn't seen the light of day. I'm not scared to carry her as I carry my other Bs regularly but I have no explanation for my hesitation. So I'm actively buying shoes and outfits that complement her to force me to use her.

BTW I visit NYC regularly and as a tourist from Texas who isn't used to walking anywhere, I carry a B everyday and haven't felt any extra attention or concern.
Off topic - I have a similar problem with my gold B. I used to carry it a lot but havent for awhile. Somehow my other bags always feel like a better alternative. Is there a gold B thread out there?!

Reactions: scndlslv
I haven't read this entire thread so forgive me if you've since updated op -

Op - this bag looks great on you! I love it and you are going to Rock it!

Maybe take the B out to Starbucks this weekend and see how it goes. Next week maybe take the B to dinner. Maybe Eventually you'll start to feel comfortable with carrying it.

Congratulations on your beautiful B and you look fabulous with it! Enjoy your bag! ( I'm jealous!) Lol

Hi Everyone!

I've been a member of this forum for a while. I usually try to stay away, because I've been on the banned island for a long time. Anyways, I recently got off the banned island and my SA surprised me with a little present. A Noir Epsom B35 w/ GHW. It's probably one of my HG bags. I would say that and a vintage Noir Box K32 w/ GHW, which I received a couple of months ago.

I'm actually having regrets purchasing the B now. This is my first major purchase from Hermes. I've purchased lots of leather jewelry, Evenlyn bag, and belts, but nothing over $10K+. I'm the kind of person that uses his bag every single day, but for some reason, I'm scared to take this one out. I'm nervous someone is going to steal it or take it from me. Did anyone have the same reaction with their first B? Since my K was pre-owned I have no problem using it. The B has been a different story. I know Epsom is basically scratch resistant, but I feel like the B is much more noticeable. Any advice?

First of all, I wanted to say how great that bag looks on you (in case I didn’t before).

I think your ‘fear’ will wear off with time, the more you wear your bag. Start by taking her to places where wearing a bag like that is not too much and work your way down. Next thing you know, she’ll be your everyday bag and you won’t even know when it happened.

Also, I wonder if the rise of the ‘super fakes‘ is making us less susceptible to have ours snatched from us. Will robbers risk getting in trouble over fakes or will they become bag experts?

Congrats on youf new bag! Don't be afraid to wear it. Like everyone said, take baby steps wearing it to Starbucks, Duane Reade, cleaners, etc. I'm also from NYC born and raised and was also afraid to carry my B out knowing how it's so recognizable here. It was on display on my shelf for months and I decided to take the plunge and start carrying it to the gym first to ease me in. Now I'm comfortable bringing it around. I'm sure you already know this as a fellow NY native also, but just always be aware of your surroundings. Take the plunge and enjoy your new B!