Scared to give boss my two week notice....

LovePinkCoach

Jun 25, 2008
The title says it all. I'm completely dreading tomorrow morning. I work full-time at a dentist office and will be giving my boss my two week notice tomorrow. He has been really stressed lately, so I know this isn't going to go over too well. I was offered a full-time position at my part-time job that I've been working at for over 2.5 years, and I had to jump at the opportunity- it works perfect with my school schedule (I'm going back to school for nursing) AND it's in the nursing field.

basically, I know this is the right move for me (besides taking a bit of a pay cut)- I'm just really nervous about giving my 2 weeks notice! I'm obviously going to do it in person, but should I include a letter of resignation also? And does it matter what time in the day I tell him tomorrow? I really want to get it over with it and tell him in the morning before we see any patients, but it might be a little awkward. And he's known to get moody by the end of the work day, so that's why I'd rather tell him in the morning.

I just needed to get this out, because I'm so nervous, I feel sick to my stomach :sick: Anyone quit a job recently? Was your boss upset?

I know exactly how you feel! It is very difficult. I quit a job last fall and it was the right decision, but it was hard because I really liked my coworkers and didn't want to leave anyone in a difficult situation. Still, sometimes you just have to look out for yourself. My situation was a bit more difficult in that it wasn't a clean break and we contemplated making some changes rather than having me leave, which complicated things a bit. In the end, however, I worked approximately two weeks past my initial conversation before leaving, even though it wasn't quite a "notice" (I would have stayed longer if they needed me to but it was easier to leave when I did rather than wait, since I was taking a chunk of time off for our wedding).

Anyway, that's all irrelevant. No, my bosses weren't mad, they seemed more disappointed that I was leaving and wanted me to stay.

I had waited until the end of the day to discuss things (when things quieted down and one-on-one conversations were easier) but you know your job and boss better than we do. I had the worst feeling in the pit of my stomach! It was horrible. I felt terrible but had to keep reminding myself that it was the right move for me. Best of luck! It's something you'll just have to force yourself to do.

It will probably go better than you think it will - and this allows you to possibly train your replacement, which will make things easier for your boss.

Best of luck! I know these types of things can be scary. Please let us know how it goes!

I also posted here when I had to give notice for the first time. I was advised to also give notice in writing, but you can do that after you speak to your boss. Just keep in mind that even though your boss may be upset on the day, in the end everyone has seen and done this before and understands it's not personal.

It's best to do it first thing in the morning. Have a very brief resignation letter which just says you are choosing to resign your position and your last day will be "x" date.

You don't need to go into any more detail than that in the letter. All the other stuff about being able to train a replacement if you can, other things you will do to wrap up, thanking him for the opportunity, etc can all be discussed with your boss in person.

It actually went great! I told him first thing this morning, and everyone was really supportive and happy for me. I can't believe I stressed over this so much....I didn't get any sleep last night, so I'm exhausted right now lol. But it definitely feels like a weight is lifted off my shoulders. Thank you all for the comments and advice, it helped a lot. :smile: