scammers on ebay WTD

BT65

Jan 8, 2011
I have been with Ebay for years and have great feedback but just lately noticed a trend of new buyers who get the item and complain about a made up thing and just try to get more money off when they get it.
My Hubby had someone even damage a musical instrument and send it back to prove a point. Anyway I just sold a GORGEOUS immaculate bag that I have other ppl wanting to buy and she sends a message first off telling untruths about what day she got it, then saying its in perfect condition but then made a minor complaint. I immediately said, no probs, not happy send back. I have other ppl waiting for this bag. so now I have to wait to see if she will send back and hope she has done no damage to it in the meantime ... where else can you sell besides Ebay?

I sell stuff on ebay, and that is the chance you take unfortunately. If buyers our damaging your product then ebay may need to have to do a investigation especially if its a new trend. if this is a problem then they will lose customers who are afraid to sll their things on ebay. Basically people who do that are committing fraud.

I have been with Ebay for years and have great feedback but just lately noticed a trend of new buyers who get the item and complain about a made up thing and just try to get more money off when they get it.
My Hubby had someone even damage a musical instrument and send it back to prove a point. Anyway I just sold a GORGEOUS immaculate bag that I have other ppl wanting to buy and she sends a message first off telling untruths about what day she got it, then saying its in perfect condition but then made a minor complaint. I immediately said, no probs, not happy send back. I have other ppl waiting for this bag. so now I have to wait to see if she will send back and hope she has done no damage to it in the meantime ... where else can you sell besides Ebay?
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that but I'm glad you made this thread. I am new to selling on eBay and just days ago took the plunge to post a few of my designer bags for sale. I have always been concerned about dishonest buyers and afraid to send my nice items out in fear of exactly what you are experiencing. It's so sad that eBay seems to be so full of scammers these days that it is not even worth the hassle anymore. Good luck to you and I hope you get your bag back in the same condition you sent it out. Now I must decide if I want to keep my items listed or pull them off and go a different route. I hope someone knows of other avenues we can take as I really would like to sell my handbags so I can purchase new ones.

There are a lot of weirdos out there! I stopped selling on ebay and sell on bonz. The downside is there's less traffic so items sell slowly. Mine do sell eventually but they sit there for a while. But now I'm having trouble with the post office. I've had much better luck with Craigslist this summer!

I used to sell on eBay more frequently but have cut down to selling 1-2 items a month because eBay is more of a buyers world than a sellers world. The fees are outrageous, mainly because I sell on a fixed price with final sale rather than auction due to too many scammers. I will sell a designer bag here or there only to fund another desired bag.

That is just annoying, I feel sorry for you.

I read a lot of people here recommend Yoogi's closet, but I don't recommend it. I wanted to sell three bags in the past 2 months.

Bag 1: I got a quote from Yoogi's for $800, I sold it later on Kijiji for $1100

Bag 2: I got a quote from Yoogi's for $650, I sold it later on Kijiji for $1400

Bag 3: I got a quote from Yoogi's for $950, still looking for buyers. I paid over $2000 on this bag, and this bag is 2 months old.

Their offers are WAY too low, it's ridiculous.

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

That is just annoying, I feel sorry for you.

I read a lot of people here recommend Yoogi's closet, but I don't recommend it. I wanted to sell three bags in the past 2 months.

Bag 1: I got a quote from Yoogi's for $800, I sold it later on Kijiji for $1100

Bag 2: I got a quote from Yoogi's for $650, I sold it later on Kijiji for $1400

Bag 3: I got a quote from Yoogi's for $950, still looking for buyers. I paid over $2000 on this bag, and this bag is 2 months old.

Their offers are WAY too low, it's ridiculous.

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

The loss at Yoogis would be worth it to me not having to stress and worry on eBay.
I always try to sell my bags to friends first..
But that's just me! ;)

I heard people record (as in video) the item. The condition, then them boxing it up and then showing the box with the address for protection for the buyer trying to say you did a bait and switch, sent damaged goods etc... I think if you even stated that in your info on ebay people maybe wouldn't try doing those types of things. Good Luck!

If you want to direct sell or consign through a reseller, Yoogis closet, couture USA and anns fabulous finds are wonderful to work with.....

The loss at Yoogis would be worth it to me not having to stress and worry on eBay.
I always try to sell my bags to friends first..
But that's just me! ;)

i never sell on eBay, it's just not worth the trouble i've heard of from other sellers. i'd rather take less money and have zero stress so i always go through a consignment reseller. as mentioned, i've used Yoogi's Closet, Ann's Fabulous Finds and Fashionphile. the typical practice is they keep 30%, you get 70% of the asking price.

i never sell on ebay, it's just not worth the trouble i've heard of from other sellers. I'd rather take less money and have zero stress so i always go through a consignment reseller. As mentioned, i've used yoogi's closet, ann's fabulous finds and fashionphile. The typical practice is they keep 30%, you get 70% of the asking price.

+1

I have only sold something once at ebay. (and not lv) Isn't there an option or at least you can state you won't accept bidder with less than so many transaction and/or ratings? That can flush out some non-serious buyer.

I heard people record (as in video) the item. The condition, then them boxing it up and then showing the box with the address for protection for the buyer trying to say you did a bait and switch, sent damaged goods etc... I think if you even stated that in your info on ebay people maybe wouldn't try doing those types of things. Good Luck!
So agree. But it is disappointing that we have to go to such lengths. I always get signature of delivery, insurance, and use those airport security tags so the bag can't be used without removing them. My receipt also records weight and dimensions and address of my parcel so no bate and switch tricks. Plus I always put a mark somewhere inconspicuous and take plenty of photos. I have heard of sellers videoing their packaging - great idea - I would then include a pic of it being handed over to the Post. Luckily I haven't had any problems, I did have one buyer stalk me over a bag, it got a bit weird for me, but she just really really wanted my Noe bb.

I sell on Tradesy and Shop-Hers. Tradesy seems to have more traffic but is better for lower priced designer goods (think Michael Kors/Kate Spade etc) though I have sold Hermes items through there as well.

Shop-Hers is great for luxury items (Hermes, LV) because you ship to their facility, they inspect for authenticity and then they ship it to the buyer. No worries about people claiming fake (bc Shop-Hers authenticates) or about people claiming they didn't receive what was advertised (again, Shop-Hers inspects it) or claiming non-delivery (you just have to get it to Shop-Hers, they handle shipping to the buyer). They take 18% but give more protection than ebay and you get more money than if you go with Yoogi's.

I've had a great experience with both to date (knock on wood.)