Scammer posing as buyer to get item shipped to a different address

JadaStormy

Jan 23, 2012
houstatlantavegas
I remember a thread where a seller sold an item and soon after received an email from someone claiming to be the buyer asking them to ship to a different address. Well this just happened to me! I pay attention to user IDs so I knew immediately it was someone else, plus the scammer had zero feedback and the real buyer had feedback.

Just alerting other sellers that this is definitely happening. My listing was a BIN and they emailed me hours after the listing sold. There is still no way to report these crooks to eBay, so I just replied to the scammer with a few choice words. :lol:

Be careful out there! Personally I am done selling on eBay now that they require SSNs starting in 2021.

earthygirl

Apr 20, 2018
I’ve had the same thing happen to me a few times over the last few years as a seller on eBay, but I never send the item to any address other than that registered under the buyer’s profile. It’s a pretty easy scam to catch...this won’t deter me from selling on eBay...but I’m not sure I want to give eBay my SS number. Is there another platform you plan on selling on that only takes about 13%? I really dislike the 20ish% that other platforms take. Someone should develop a site for selling luxe handbags directly to other handbag lovers that doesn’t take such a huge cut.

JadaStormy

Jan 23, 2012
houstatlantavegas
I’ve had the same thing happen to me a few times over the last few years as a seller on eBay, but I never send the item to any address other than that registered under the buyer’s profile. It’s a pretty easy scam to catch...this won’t deter me from selling on eBay...but I’m not sure I want to give eBay my SS number. Is there another platform you plan on selling on that only takes about 13%? I really dislike the 20ish% that other platforms take. Someone should develop a site for selling luxe handbags directly to other handbag lovers that doesn’t take such a huge cut.
I definitely don't want to give them or PayPal my SSN. The eBay fee plus the PayPal fee is alot. I sold a high ticket item and paid close to $200 in fees. Every now and then eBay would offer a special and cap my fees at $20 around the holidays...that didn't happen this year.

Thankfully I think I've sold most of what I wanted to, with two of my items selling this month. If anything comes up, I will probably just sell to Yoogis, FP or Couture USA.

Reactions: earthygirl